Wiki Posts
Search

Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by midnight
I disagree.

Too many people have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

We all like to get the maximum value from point promotions but those who believed they had found a bottomless pit of points have been caught out and embarrassed. Quite rightly so.
How someone supposedly got 10K in points is over doing a 100 pts promo but most only did 1000 points or so which is reasonable and not unlike many bootleg promo's posted here. I never did any and waited to test fall-out as Raffles advises so never got burned but still to see high roller travellers given the door over petty amounts is heavy handed and reckless. I know of one fellow who had 3 accounts , did 1k each, and no problems while another never did any survey and was blocked out. IHG is irresponsible to release an uncontrolled offer in the first place as most are one try per account number.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyliu88
the problem is, some people got 50K or 100K with this loophole, they need to find those people out, but their IT are not sophisticated enough to separate people who got 1K or 100K out of this loophole, so just block them all.
That's what I think is going on. They need to do something to stop redemptions of these erroneously-awarded points. Their IT systems clearly aren't very good, as illustrated by the initial glitch.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by soitgoes
The issue with this 100 point quiz was that there was a major IT/system error that placed seemingly no caps on the number of times the points could be awarded. We have at least one person admitting to racking up 10,000+ points from these 100 point postings. I would imagine there areautomated process, so maybe they had to make a bigger sweep before reviewing on a more detailed level.

The source of all of this, though, is an IT error on IHG's side. Hopefully they will learn from that.
My father account was actived twice, but deactived again, only 2K bonus.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Priority Club Rewards (IHG)
An email alert?? Too simple..

The thing that amazed me is that they haven't alerted via email.

Why IHG doesn't send an email? They have our address... grrrr..

Today I called the call center in the UK and they told me it is a "random audit" but without unlocking my Account. How long will be this audit? Nobody says.. I hope it takes less time as possible

(sorry for my bad english.. I'm Italian )

CIAO!!

Last edited by masteo; Feb 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm Reason: typing error
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by freeflyin
My account was frozen last night but my wife's was untouched.Sometime this afternoon hers was frozen also.

So far all reservations are still showing,including reward stays.
So is it time to try to do some sort of pre-emptive 'mea-culpa' to PC and try to get them to pull the points before the account gets hit?

I had thought I was safe until I saw this post. I admit I was bad with this one too but I stayed my hand at 700 points. Something in my head clicked and thought it was taking things too far. Up until this post I was thinking I spared myself but now I'm not sure.

Overall I grant that at pragmatic level PC should probably let this go with some sort of warning and probably take the quiz points back but technically they really could just kill the account outright. (Although I must admit I would rebel and cancel all my upcoming bookings.)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:07 pm

For those that filled the survey out only one time for each language, I can't imagine them taking the points away or doing anything else to your account. I mean, even though nearly all offers are considered "targetted" and not advertised to everybody, PC has always let most people sign up for any offer. This is evident in the recent triple points promo that they spread via forums, and also the fact that their promo registration page lists "chat room" and "friend" as the source for the promo.

There were some that did more than one survey per language. Some of these used a simple script to automatically complete the survey over and over get many hundreds of thousands of points just to see if they could. I don't blame PC for disabling (hopefully temporarily) all of the accounts before people redeemed millions of points for gift cards or such worth thousands of dollars.

Hopefully they will clear this all up soon.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
canceling account just because a couple of thousand loophole points doesn't make any business sense.

those 2K points worth at most $10-20 to them, but they may lose the guest forever. I am sure there is no single company will do that.

they already sent warning message by temporarily blocking the account

Originally Posted by pmaddock
So is it time to try to do some sort of pre-emptive 'mea-culpa' to PC and try to get them to pull the points before the account gets hit?

I had thought I was safe until I saw this post. I admit I was bad with this one too but I stayed my hand at 700 points. Something in my head clicked and thought it was taking things too far. Up until this post I was thinking I spared myself but now I'm not sure.

Overall I grant that at pragmatic level PC should probably let this go with some sort of warning and probably take the quiz points back but technically they really could just kill the account outright. (Although I must admit I would rebel and cancel all my upcoming bookings.)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:19 pm

My account is untouched but i only did 700 points. My girlfriends account was frozen. Did an 1200 so she could get gold status, but looks like it was a mistake. Hopefully this gets resolved and doesn't screw up future promotions.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: Some
No pain here, didn't do a survey but empathize with fellow FTalkers and see it as an over reaction by IHG. soitgoes had the most balanced comments yet

From what I can see this problem is more significant now than in the past for 2 reasons.

1) IHG made a serious IT error and someone may have figured out how to drain the points bank from it. That is not your average FT points earner folks and another reason to be cautious about what you share on any public forum.

2) FT is monitored extensively now by representives from the respective programs. What you say is seen and heard and someone got a gold star for passing on your comments which is fair given "anyone" can view postings.

How IHG IT reacted is an entirely different story and some will take their marbles and play elsewhere for a while.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:31 pm

I think it is not an over reaction, it's they don't know what/how to react.

they r trying to figure out now

Originally Posted by tigerwouldnt2009
No pain here, didn't do a survey but empathize with fellow FTalkers and see it as an over reaction by IHG. soitgoes had the most balanced comments yet

From what I can see this problem is more significant now than in the past for 2 reasons.

1) IHG made a serious IT error and someone may have figured out how to drain the points bank from it. That is not your average FT points earner folks and another reason to be cautious about what you share on any public forum.

2) FT is monitored extensively now by representives from the respective programs. What you say is seen and heard and someone got a gold star for passing on your comments which is fair given "anyone" can view postings.

How IHG IT reacted is an entirely different story and some will take their marbles and play elsewhere for a while.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Just found my account frozen (hit all 10 links once each on Wednesday). Called the US service center and after 5 minutes my account was de-frosted.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:33 pm
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Ditto!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:53 pm

After filling out the survey over 5,000 times, I found my account frozen as well. I admit this was a mistake, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Obviously I don't want to contact them. argh. bad choice, bad bad
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitthehandthatfeeds
After filling out the survey over 5,000 times, I found my account frozen as well.
5,000 times!?
Are you serious? Are you real?
Does that mean 500,000 points posted to your account?!?!

It's no wonder IHG took what will probably temporary action on a large number of accounts if there are accounts like that out there!

Actually, for all those who really did just net 1-2K points from this, the existence of mega-offenders is probably actually good news. It makes the accounts with 1-2K look saintly. Clearly those users weren't trying to scam IHG--they stopped.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
I'd have to agree it’s an over reaction. Any IT person worth their pay check can profile anomalies so for blanket acct closures that’s a weak argument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.