Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by bmccorm534
On a side note I had a feeling something was up yesterday as tons of awards availability at places that are usually tough to find bookings or have been unavailable are suddenly showing inventory. Maybe a good time for those not affected by the lock out to book points stays.

It was always my understanding that cancelled or unused rewards nights or points breaks did not go back into the system.

I have had a look today and for they hotels that interest me there certainly doesn't seem to be any greater availabilty than before all this started.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmaddock
This part about canceling reservations is new to me. My account was suspended like many others but was reactivated when I called in on Friday and has remained thus so far. The one award reservation I have remains intact.
I think the award booking cancellations may be actual glitches associated with the locking process. Unless the awards were for right now, there's no real gain to cancel them.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmccorm534
I should clarify I don't normally have issues with award bookings either. It was quite a surprise though to me to see that busy weekends in a few locale's I've been trying to book with no avail suddenly had rooms yesterday. One can only wonder if there is a correaltion.
Probably no relation.
Hotels can and do adjust inventory at will (PCR requires only that they allocated at least 5% of the rooms to the reward night rate code). If a hotel gets to the point where they are almost sure to reach 95% occupancy, a smart revenue manager will open up award inventory. If the hotel is 95% full, they get reimbursed at that day's average daily rate for award stays.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Probably no relation.
Hotels can and do adjust inventory at will (PCR requires only that they allocated at least 5% of the rooms to the reward night rate code). If a hotel gets to the point where they are almost sure to reach 95% occupancy, a smart revenue manager will open up award inventory. If the hotel is 95% full, they get reimbursed at that day's average daily rate for award stays.
Gotcha. Appreciate the info wasn't aware of this, but it does make sense considering two of the stays I booked yesterday were valued at around $350 a night had I booked a paid stay. And one was just under $300 a night.

Guess I got lucky and just happen to catch some openings.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:44 pm

Who knows what PC is thinking about this. Thankfully, I missed this promo.

I'd imagine for starters they aren't very fond of FT, it must mess up their marketing strategies with targetted codes being put in the public domain - but maybe they need to tighten up their systems a little. What about that little survey from an Asian IC last month sent to a list of probably around 1,000 loyal clients, yet it gets posted on FT when instead of thinking their forking out for 100,000 PC Points, they're looking maybe closer towards 1,000,000. Again it was an IT issue. (I've still not got my points from that either!).

This may be an opportunity for them to smite FTers and teach us a lesson for going beyond the spirit of the programme. But then again the T&Cs (every FTers best friend or worst enemy) were rather flimsy so they have no legs to stand on - and you can bet that someone will (quite rightly) sue if they lose all their points. Also FTers are probably some of their best customers.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for someone senior in PC to sort out its IT issues. But overall I'd hope they recognise that they should let most people off with a warning. Those who set off automatic scripts should be permanently banned.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Motors
I'd imagine for starters they aren't very fond of FT, it must mess up their marketing strategies with targetted codes being put in the public domain -
It may be part of their marketing strategy. They did, after all, hire a marketing Ph.D. as their social media marketing manager. They also allow "targeted" promos to be posted to their own moderated Priority Club Connect forum.
If they want to prevent access to "targeted" promos, they could do what Starwood and others do--prevent registration via their systems.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, BA/Iberia Avios, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The monetary value of my ill-gotten 900 points is about 4 $. In my jurisdiction shoplifting with goods under ca. 100$ are not criminal offences but misdemenaors. A cop/prosecutor presented with a 4$ case would have a very difficult time to keep a straight face.
L O L ...

I manged to notch up 3000 pts from the quiz

This equates to: Value of 1 point = £0.00226

Total value of 3000 points: £7

I usually spened more than this on a single Gin Martini @ any InterCon ...!!!

Last edited by TsarTsar; Feb 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm Reason: spellin
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by soitgoes
It may be part of their marketing strategy. They did, after all, hire a marketing Ph.D. as their social media marketing manager. They also allow "targeted" promos to be posted to their own moderated Priority Club Connect forum.
If they want to prevent access to "targeted" promos, they could do what Starwood and others do--prevent registration via their systems.
Although sometimes PCR seems to be crazy like a fox and since they publically admit leaking promo's to advocates/agents for dispersal .... I've got to wonder if they followed the same model this time but it was an unfinished version "released" prematurely by mistake. I'll bet a lot of people never even tried to do the one quiz per country a second time (me for one) as we've been trained to assume no repeats and the usual limitations.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Avis First/Preferred, Hertz 5*
Me too

I too, was guilty of doing the quiz in each of the 9 languages for a total of 900 points, or about 4 bucks. Found out Saturday my account had been locked and after checking here figured out quickly why. Luckily my 7 rewards nights in Scottsdale next month still show as being on, and a call to the Platinum number this morning provided the standard audit response and 24-48 hours that everybody else is getting. I have 16 nights in March to book for business and will hold off on booking those until I find out how this resolves. Like a previous poster, I spend a lot more than the 4 bucks that IHG lost in the bar every night of a stay. Last week spending ~125 in food and drinks across 2 nights after the 2 $10 vouchers that I was comped at check-in.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Surfer
Although sometimes PCR seems to be crazy like a fox and since they publically admit leaking promo's to advocates/agents for dispersal .... I've got to wonder if they followed the same model this time but it was an unfinished version "released" prematurely by mistake. I'll bet a lot of people never even tried to do the one quiz per country a second time (me for one) as we've been trained to assume no repeats and the usual limitations.
Yes, I'm not implying they meant to have this thing blow up like it has. I'm just saying they embrace online social marketing to at least some extent.

Clearly, this was mistake ridden.
Now they need to fix it as quickly as is safe for them to do so.

[Bear in mind it's also a holiday weekend in the US.]
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:28 pm

I sign for all the codes in here and gets a lot of points, except for refer a friend (US address - I dont want to change address) and the quiz ( 100 pts). I thought i's not worth the trouble for multiple of 100 points. I guess I got 200K+ last year for just about <30 nights and I wont get that much without the codes here.

I guess I am lucky coz I got 1 IC booking in Singapore next week and 2 X 6 nights booking at IC Dallas in 2 weeks time.

But I hope this get straighten out by PC, since they are also losing a lot of loyal clients.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
I have to give my full sympathy to all members who had been effected. I have to admit that I was late to see the promo due to personal engagement. If the fellow FT members did not tell us immidieately about the account frozen I may have done most FT here had done---to sign up the quiz multiple time.

I think it would be wrong if PC cancel the personal account. Take the point back may be the solution.

AND I HOPE PRIORITY CLUB COULD NOWTAKE THIS CHANCE TO LOOK FOR A BETTER IT TEAM WHO WORK CLOSELY WITH THEIR MARKETING TEAM!

Let us not forget how imcompetence the IHG IT team was. And I believe this case will make history on the FT year book. And I know that everyone is watching closely to see what IHG would do to comprimise.

It is not the time to blame. It is the time to show appreciation to each other. I hope IHG take back the points for those people cashed around 1000 points and make things normal. If any to be punished as sample, maybe those people cashed out more than 60000 points on this QUIZ-gate case.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dot_net
I too, was guilty of doing the quiz in each of the 9 languages for a total of 900 points, or about 4 bucks. Found out Saturday my account had been locked and after checking here figured out quickly why. Luckily my 7 rewards nights in Scottsdale next month still show as being on, and a call to the Platinum number this morning provided the standard audit response and 24-48 hours that everybody else is getting. I have 16 nights in March to book for business and will hold off on booking those until I find out how this resolves. Like a previous poster, I spend a lot more than the 4 bucks that IHG lost in the bar every night of a stay. Last week spending ~125 in food and drinks across 2 nights after the 2 $10 vouchers that I was comped at check-in.
+1 for this post.

To be honest, I think doing one quick repeatedly is gaming the system. One per language is a little more gray.

As for all the points we've all earned on promos etc. For all the promos I put in I heard about the code on a "chat forum." PC clearly allows this to happen and is aware of it.

My account is still locked and if they take away more than the 1K from the quick I will not be happy and be zipping it right back to Hilton.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:21 pm

For those guys that called and they said it was a 24 to 48 hour audit, after 24 to 48 hours did your account get unlocked? My girlfriends account has been look for more than 48 hours.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Well, as I said before. I only have circa 40,000 points, earned from only a few stays using the codes on here to begin with. If worst comest to worst and my account is closed completely over 1100 points, then I will have no option but to bite the bullet and start again. I was more concerned that my revenue bookings were still valid for a forthcoming trip, which they are.

We all enter the codes and enter these quiz things at our own risk, knowing full well that as it is not targeted at you specifically, then you run the risk of some sort of loss.

I do agree with many comments that people who have claimed a small, maybe up to a couple of thousand points, really should not suffer any sort of permanent punishment, however script writers who have claimed hundreds of thousands may be a different story.

The flow of information coming from IHG and PC could be a lot better, to help calm peoples nerves that they are going to loose something which is, in essence, completely safe, just not accessible at the moment.

But, we can only wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.