Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Old Feb 14, 10, 3:30 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
a) Flights are redeemed in real time.
b) They first have to find the problem accounts and then reverse redemptions. That's not trivial if their IT systems are poor, which they are (the root of the problem).
And don't forget points.com - during the days of the barn door open, there was nothing to stop fraudsters from swapping gazillions of points out of PC into some other program and redeem there... points.com is not instant but usually very fast.
Old Feb 14, 10, 3:34 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by yyliu88 View Post
Interestingly enough, My wife just checked in, despite the account has been locked, the front desk was still able to see her account number attached to the reservation and gave upgrade for Platinum.
Same here - checked in today to an IC, front desk looks at the reservation and my card, says "it's already entered" & gives a nice room upgrade. So it seems that the accounts are alive and well (??) just cut off from the outer world (internet access). After this stay and if the account is still unaccessible, I'll call CS to see what has been posted and what not (and I expect lots of things to post - my Amb accel nights will have just reached the treshold, it'll be 6 weeks since my checkout for the "stay 2 hotels get 10k", etc)
Old Feb 14, 10, 6:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Once the points leave the IHG domain its gone ie points.com and others. They can eventually track back to individuals but not if accts are fake and the points swap is bounced through several accounts esspecially if its a place like Nigeria ,etc. We think of them as points but they have a hard currency value too so if the damage is severe IHG might tone back 2010 promo's to offset losses I'd guess.

Again if serious, IHG would have called in IT forensic pro's to investigate and would have the capability (if someone would make a decision) to filter excess gains... just by the history on FT they can tell 1000-1500 is a low/no risk segment. Every day as travel plans unfold I book elsewhere as I imagine others do too so the longer they take to sort the criminals from the lot the more $$$$ they lose. Floated a trial email to IHG 48hrs ago and no response...not even a robot reply.

We're just lucky someone didn't leak a fake PCR promo what required our PCR acct # + Pin ( as some have ) and used that info to drain our own PCR banks via points swap programs and/or steal ID/cc info you have in your account details.
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:05 pm

Why don't they just freeze all points transactions/earning by any means...and let us get back to business ? If accts are active at the front desk anyway whats the point of denying access if you want to spend money online? We'll never know for sure but if they are not careful if could cost IHG more because of their reaction after the Attack than as a result of the actual crime.
Old Feb 14, 10, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, IHG Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
[QUOTE=

Every day as travel plans unfold I book elsewhere as I imagine others do too so the longer they take to sort the criminals from the lot the more $$$$ they lose. Floated a trial email to IHG 48hrs ago and no response...not even a robot reply.
[/QUOTE]

Similar situation here-I absolutely will not book anything else with IHG until this is corrected. I am not willing to take the chance that they will not restore my account. If that is the case,I will leave for good. Fortunately for me, most locations I need to be have multiple options in other chains,so as my balance PC balance remains stagnant,my other programs will increase.

I too emailed PC Customer Service ,and while I received no reply,I did get and Outlook email read receipt this morning-over 48 hours later after being sent,it was read by PC.

I do have a stay booked this week by my employer that I must keep intact.I'll report back after check in to update status.
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:03 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
I think PC's execution is wrong but I can see where they're coming from. Personally I never did the quiz more than once so my account's fine, but I think locking all accounts with points from multiple quizzes (even if it's just 2 or 3) seems excessive. I'm sure that PC will simply say that they're within their right to lock any accounts with suspicious activities.

This fiasco seems like a huge egg on PC's face, especially after they bashed Hilton for their treatment of customers just a short while ago.
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:44 pm

Called the IHG and was told that my account was in audit status by the IHG HQ. They received many similar cases in the past few days and the audit period is 1~2 weeks as their HQ told their region service center. (I guess that's how long IHG IT need to distinguish who's got millions points and who's not)

I asked the local service center to open a case to expedite the audit and they will response me a dead line for my account audit by email in the next 3 days. Let's see how long will my account re-active by the expedite case
Old Feb 15, 10, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by yoursandrew View Post
Called the IHG and was told that my account was in audit status by the IHG HQ. They received many similar cases in the past few days and the audit period is 1~2 weeks as their HQ told their region service center. (I guess that's how long IHG IT need to distinguish who's got millions points and who's not)

I asked the local service center to open a case to expedite the audit and they will response me a dead line for my account audit by email in the next 3 days. Let's see how long will my account re-active by the expedite case
up from 24~48hrs, if they are going to do it manually and there are hundreds of accounts don't be surprised if it takes at least 2weeks.

you can of course make a booking without the PC# and ask the hotel to add it when you check out, but I'd rather give my money to someone else.
Besides I haven't registered for more than 1 promo this year, it might not even be possible to do before the audit is over...
Old Feb 15, 10, 1:21 am

a friend just (1hr ago)received this answer, he has never had any other account

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Priority ClubŪ Rewards Service Center.

Our records show that your Priority ClubŪ membership number Priority ClubŪ was de-activated due to a possible duplicate account created. Kindly provide us the following information so we may research for your active account and process consolidation.

Physical address on file (current and previous):
Telephone number on file (current and previous):

You may send these information via e-mail, or call our office at the numbers listed in our website for faster processing.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to call us. Attached is the link to the service centers' phone numbers page:
Old Feb 15, 10, 2:38 am

Programs: KL (Plat), LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
I have done the quiz two times but the second time, no points had posted so I stopped. Still, my accound has been frozen as well, with 150+ stays a year and 30 so far this year. I have cancelled the 5 upcoming stays for this week and rebooked them to Hilton and SPG. Will see on Friday if my account is still blocked, then I will have to cancel 5 more nights for next week as well.

Of course they had to do something if people got a lot more points out of the quiz because this abuse costs them a lot of money, but I don't know if blocking all accounts was the best solution... this IT mistake is blowing up in their face...
Old Feb 15, 10, 3:19 am

Programs: IC Amb, Hilton Gold, MR Silver
Got the same email with respect to the "duplicate account".

If everyone like jochen_vdk will do the same it's gonna be a VERY EXPENSIVE QUIZ in terms of revenue for PC.
Old Feb 15, 10, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post

Dear Mr. ,

Our records show that your Priority ClubŪ membership number Priority ClubŪ was de-activated due to a possible duplicate account created. Kindly provide us the following information so we may research for your active account and process consolidation.

You may send these information via e-mail, or call our office at the numbers listed in our website for faster processing.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to call us. Attached is the link to the service centers' phone numbers page:
I got that answer as well. As it happens, dad and I are at the same address and both have PC accounts, so I told them so and provided relevant info.

Today got the following email:

Thank you for your reply.

Priority Club conducts Random Audit every now and then to all Priority Club accounts on the system that is why you are unable to access your account online. This is to ensure maximum system efficiency.

Accounts being checked are set aside and studied. Rest assured that you will be notified once the random audit has been completed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Attached is the link to our service centers' phone numbers page:
Fortunately, I don't have any IHG stays coming up until April, so I can just wait this out.
Old Feb 15, 10, 7:28 am

2 1/2 days after I sent my first email request to PCR I rec'd a reply to verify acct details

Before we can proceed with your request, kindly verify the following information first for security purposes:

* Priority Club Membership Number:
* Physical address on file (current and previous):
* Telephone number on file (current and previous):
* Last hotel stay:
* E-mail address on file:

We will be making the necessary updates to your account as soon as we have the information available to us.

*Will advise what/when anything happens
Old Feb 15, 10, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post

Dear Mr. ,

When I called the CSR was focused on the same thing - searching to see if there was another account. She did it manually since my name is a relative rarity - at least the way I spell it.

I find it rather disturbing that they are still communicating this 'boilerplate' response this far into the situation. I'm guessing someone at IHG is trying to keep it a secret or something but it would be rather foolish to think it could be kept secret. Leaving their CSRs giving out these sorts of responses just makes thing worse.

One bit of good news - my account is still active after the CSR did the reset on Friday. Considering what time it is in the UK and Manilla I'm starting to think it might hold and not be part of another lockout sweep.
Old Feb 15, 10, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bumburuck View Post
Got the same email with respect to the "duplicate account".

If everyone like jochen_vdk will do the same it's gonna be a VERY EXPENSIVE QUIZ in terms of revenue for PC.
Expensive indeed for IHG.....once members become disgruntled for whatever reason its infectious. Just look at the Hilton Honors evacuation over devalued points so you can imagine the bad press over this as it unfolds into a 1-2 week witch hunt....at this point they can tell the good guys from the bad so level orange is over ...so focus on the real offenders.

A preceptive Marketeer at SPG would open up the Gold comp to existing members and Marriott (maybe Hilton too - good time to ask for a status match though ) could do the same new/existing and scoop a lot of upset PCR members. Based on the retail rule of one unhappy customer affects 10 more !!.....imagine if you were a HH member who just flipped over, innocently did a few quiz's and got locked out....Livid comes to mind.

Search this Thread