Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by midnight
Accounts were suspended for good reason.

There have been multiple instances of six and seven figure bonus points being obtained through existing and specially opened new PC accounts.

Sure I have sympathy for genuine Priority Club members who took a few hundred points and cannot access their accounts but this is only temporary.

Widespread fraud had taken place and was live in progress, I am not surprised that the shutters came sharply down.
A year or two ago, some gamers rigged up a way to automate the Club Live points and posted that on a blog. So MS fixed that to only work once per family ever.
On PC points, the MCR redemption codes were discovered to have a guessable pattern a year or so ago, so that got locked down for a good while.
Now this and a new person posting on FT indicated he was one of the 6-figure folks who wrote a script to get these survey points after "discovering" no max cap. This "gaming" is hardly innocent and random, particularly if rapidly redeemed.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:32 am

Hope IHG finds a way in their T & C's to terminate the persons account... no status and no points.

Back to the start... like Monopoly.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Radioman
Hi Folks,

I dont think anyone has a leg to stand on to complain to PC about the locking of accounts. We use these codes and links at our *** OWN *** risk. We play the system and we all gain from the system.

PC are not silly and they know about these sites and what we do, it generates income for them and am sure has made PC very popular with a lot of travellers. I know that in my company there are now 12 people all converted to PC and they now like to earn the points, before they stayed at any brand of hotel and did not collect anything at all (arghhh shock horror at them).

So please be very careful with what you do with the codes and links.

Regards
J
I have to disagree with you.
Unlike other promotions you did not have to enter your PCR PIN - just the membership number and last name. I did some (very few) point earnings for a friend of mine without his knowledge - just to do him a favour - because I know his PCR number and of course his last name. So HE is definitely NOT guilty and should not suffer from anything more than having those points been deducted.
Would it have been necessary to also enter the PIN I couldn't have done anything with his account.
And this is the next problem for PCR: they do not know and cannot find out WHO added the points to all of the affected accounts...

Last edited by Flamewing; Feb 14, 2010 at 1:48 am
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Hope IHG finds a way in their T & C's to terminate the persons account... no status and no points.

Back to the start... like Monopoly.

Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Looks like the quiz is active again. Anyone want to see if they have limited entries...

Although my account is still being "audited"
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
You know its the same as last Falls game piece deal where everyone shared codes and you had only one entry per country as IHG IT locked out repeats. That was a "normal" promo and the only real difference between this fiasco was IHG IT left the keys in the door.

Good point Flamewing... if deviants were so ambitious to steal hordes of points with a script in the hours of freedom they had then who is to say they didn't create a multitude of fake accounts w/ fake identities too....then several points.com accts to convert them through, etc,etc. The more you think about it....I seriously doubt this issue originated on FT in the first place as we find out second hand anyway. Which could lead one to think some credit card scam tactics were used early on and our "FT World" could just be the least of IHG's worries.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Looks like the quiz is active again. Anyone want to see if they have limited entries...

Although my account is still being "audited"

Probably IT bait lol
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Surfer
You know its the same as last Falls game piece deal where everyone shared codes and you had only one entry per country as IHG IT locked out repeats. That was a "normal" promo and the only real difference between this fiasco was IHG IT left the keys in the door.

Good point Flamewing... if deviants were so ambitious to steal hordes of points with a script in the hours of freedom they had then who is to say they didn't create a multitude of fake accounts w/ fake identities too....then several points.com accts to convert them through, etc,etc. The more you think about it....I seriously doubt this issue originated on FT in the first place as we find out second hand anyway. Which could lead one to think some credit card scam tactics were used early on and our "FT World" could just be the least of IHG's worries.
Right...
Ultimately I don't think they are really upset at most folks--that is, those who had about 1,000 points or so post to their accounts.

I think they are concerned at their IT failure and at the serious fraud that apparently was committed with scripts, etc. Naturally they are probably dealing with those serious issues first and don't necessarily have the time to re-activate accounts they deactivated as a security precaution. For example, let's say someone had hundreds of thousands of points and used them to book airline tickets--that's real money flowing out of IHG's coffers.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:39 am

soitgoes.....not hard to imagine a million points dumped into an offshore swap account & poof, gone. Despite the huge inconvenience I'm a little more understanding of the cybercrime element.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes

I think they are concerned at their IT failure and at the serious fraud that apparently was committed with scripts, etc. Naturally they are probably dealing with those serious issues first and don't necessarily have the time to re-activate accounts they deactivated as a security precaution. For example, let's say someone had hundreds of thousands of points and used them to book airline tickets--that's real money flowing out of IHG's coffers.
Yes but the locked accounts are costing them $ right now and will continue to do so until they are unlocked and people start making reservations. It's hard to say how many accounts are affected - it was a perfectly legit promo and if everyone who ran this quiz even once is locked out it is probably not a small number.
They should allow CSRs to unlock accounts when the number of points from this promo is below a certain threshold - be it 100, 1000 or 10000 it's up to them to decide.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by azepine00
Yes but the locked accounts are costing them $ right now and will continue to do so until they are unlocked and people start making reservations. It's hard to say how many accounts are affected - it was a perfectly legit promo and if everyone who ran this quiz even once is locked out it is probably not a small number.
They should allow CSRs to unlock accounts when the number of points from this promo is below a certain threshold - be it 100, 1000 or 10000 it's up to them to decide.
I have to wonder if some variation of this is going on. CSRs have unlocked some accounts with phone calls - including my own. I know there have been reports of subsequent re-locking but that doesn't seem to have happened with all and my account is still open.

Either way the absence of a message from IHG and even the absence of any stated policy from the CSR's is not good. It would be really re-assuring if they would just say that anyone that took under X points is going to be spared, Y points will be penalized Ax1000 points, and those who took more than Z points will be subject to continued action or alike. If they said something like that I'm sure that most of the concern would be taken care of and we'd feel free to book in the knowledge continued accumulation was possible.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by pmaddock
I have to wonder if some variation of this is going on. CSRs have unlocked some accounts with phone calls - including my own. I know there have been reports of subsequent re-locking but that doesn't seem to have happened with all and my account is still open.

Either way the absence of a message from IHG and even the absence of any stated policy from the CSR's is not good. It would be really re-assuring if they would just say that anyone that took under X points is going to be spared, Y points will be penalized Ax1000 points, and those who took more than Z points will be subject to continued action or alike. If they said something like that I'm sure that most of the concern would be taken care of and we'd feel free to book in the knowledge continued accumulation was possible.

Very much doubt anyone with a verified couple of thousant point haul is of any concern.Theyre gunning for the big abusers .Really wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
soitgoes.....not hard to imagine a million points dumped into an offshore swap account & poof, gone. Despite the huge inconvenience I'm a little more understanding of the cybercrime element.
For Sure, I think it's the people who's intent is to rack up the free points then redeem out instantly for gift cards and such. Once those gift cards leave the warehouse the money is pretty much lost forever plus that's IHG's money. They're probably not overly concerned about people with points stays since they can probably revoke those if it is indeed illegitimate and always within IHG's control.

Kind of like how stores get scammed with stolen credit cards which are used to buy gift cards, when the credit cards come back stolen the store can't do anything.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
soitgoes.....not hard to imagine million points dumped into an offshore swap account & poof, gone. Despite the huge inconvenience I'm a little more understanding of the cybercrime element.

Assuming the usual tardiness of PCR in sending anything including gift cards etc,and likewise assuming most of the fraudulent major point acqusitions were very recent(rather unclear....and doubful IHG will readily give the numbers anyway) , one does surely doubt the caught perpetrators have got away with very much apart from perhaps 1 or 2 freebie nights(which would have a negligible impact on revenue anyway).
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docklander
Assuming the usual tardiness of PCR in sending anything including gift cards etc,and likewise assuming most of the fraudulent major point acqusitions were very recent(rather unclear....and doubful IHG will readily give the numbers anyway) , one does surely doubt the caught perpetrators have got away with very much apart from perhaps 1 or 2 freebie nights(which would have a negligible impact on revenue anyway).
a) Flights are redeemed in real time.
b) They first have to find the problem accounts and then reverse redemptions. That's not trivial if their IT systems are poor, which they are (the root of the problem).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.