Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Old Feb 12, 10, 3:55 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Will erxisting revenue bokings still be valid? Or will they have been canceled?

Thanks,
Good point. Means any points purchase could be frozen or cancelled as some have reported. Panic on points earning means panic on points used. Imagine actual bookings with credit cards "should" be unaffected. Wonder what happens if you check-in and your acct info will not pull up.
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:19 pm

Programs: IC Plat AMB, Hyatt Platinum,
I honestly think that many on here underestimate the problem. If you just read through the various forums out there you can easily find more than 30 people freely admiting that they racked up nearly a million points through using scripts. Assuming that those bragging ones are only the tip of the iceberg I don't even wanna know what damage this promo has done and how many might have already transfered those points into free flights or gift cards. These are no peanuts if you ask me - this is a major problem.
I rather see IHG close some accounts than never ever get a reward night again cos there are lots of people out there who sit on a few million points they want to get rid off...and yes I haven't taken part in the quiz at all.
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, IHG Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
No luck

Originally Posted by 21H21J View Post
Just found my account frozen (hit all 10 links once each on Wednesday). Called the US service center and after 5 minutes my account was de-frosted.
Just tried and was told my account was on random audit, account is intact and they cannot tell me when it will be restored.They did offer to call when it is reactivated
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:54 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
And my account has been re-frozen
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
Well I spoke too soon - my account appears to have been locked out now. If anyone is counting on a 1K threshold you may be mistaken.
Well I called in to see what they would say. They did a 'review' of my account and a check to see if there were other accounts in my name and then unlocked it. Now that I'm back into the account it appears to be the same - no change to balance, transactions, reservations, or offer status. The rep said that it was completely intact.

The rep didn't mention anything on her own about the quiz situation. She basically said it must be either a random audit or a multiple account in the same name situation. I'm guessing that's the standard cause of an account lock so she followed the script.

I went ahead and volunteered that I thought it might be the quiz thing - I only did 700 points on it so I basically volunteered that I had 7 postings for the same thing and would gladly give them up if it would keep my account in the clear. She said she could see the 7 100 point postings but said that she would leave it on as goodwill since I'm a Plat. So either the reps haven't been told anything about this or they have been told not to talk to us about it or even to remove the points (assuming they can).

My account is back now but I think there's been at least one post of someone getting a rep to unlock the account and then have it shut down again.

I guess time will tell but I really wish that PC would send out some sort of email saying what they intend to do. Did they just suspend everyone to stop exploitation of large point accumulation through this thing or is something more punitive and/or broad intended. As Radioman said we who got into this don't have a T&C leg to stand on but I would hope that they would moderate the penalty for pragmatic reasons.

Last edited by pmaddock; Feb 12, 10 at 5:07 pm
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:59 pm

Programs: IHG since 2001
Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
So sorry Mr, high & mighty ........etc etc...
Accounts were suspended for good reason.

There have been multiple instances of six and seven figure bonus points being obtained through existing and specially opened new PC accounts.

Sure I have sympathy for genuine Priority Club members who took a few hundred points and cannot access their accounts but this is only temporary.

Widespread fraud had taken place and was live in progress, I am not surprised that the shutters came sharply down.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midnight View Post
Accounts were suspended for good reason.

There have been multiple instances of six and seven figure bonus points being obtained through existing and specially opened new PC accounts.

Sure I have sympathy for genuine Priority Club members who took a few hundred points and cannot access their accounts but this is only temporary.

Widespread fraud had taken place and was live in progress, I am not surprised that the shutters came sharply down.
True.
If it had just been limited to ca. 1,000 points per person they would have just fixed the quiz and moved on. However, they clearly need to do something to prevent a monetary loss. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scammers with scripts didn't immediately book flights. That redemption option is real-time.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
My turn now. Emailed PCR so will see what/when anything fixes.

Held off reservations re conflicts and just as well. SPG just got 6 booking cause I don't know how long this will take to sort as it seems to be insane. Points earning could be all screwed too up so cancelled 2 HI reservations via Tel for next week in favor of SPG too. Nice when the world goes back to normal and I'll probably drain my points down to a "I don't care" level, turn points over more often, and diversify elsewhere as I've got to many eggs in the IHG basket.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
May I suggest that the thread is near enough all about locked accounts. May I suggest that the mods move it to a new thread or someone start one and we keep the traffic about the locked accounts away from here so that other points discussions can go on.

Thanks folks and I hope you get your accounts sorted out.

J
Old Feb 12, 10, 10:07 pm

Can't log in and I have 8 room-nights booked at IC for next week for myself and two colleagues. 500 pts in my account from promo. I am seriously annoyed.

This mess is gonna cost them money no matter how you look at that.
Fraudulently acquired and more importantly redeemed points, lost new bookings due to system lockdown - all sorts of mess. This may become a case study on how a simple IT error results in a costly headache.

I do think that this will finally stop the promo bonanza - this has crossed the line of being "below the radar". Just as with many other cases a post on FT quickly brings things to an end.

I fully expect this story to quickly gain publicity - first in blogs, then various new sites and ultimately Wall Street Journal. Somehow I suspect FTers will not look very good in those stories.

Last edited by azepine00; Feb 12, 10 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 12, 10, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hi Folks,

I dont think anyone has a leg to stand on to complain to PC about the locking of accounts. We use these codes and links at our *** OWN *** risk. We play the system and we all gain from the system.

PC are not silly and they know about these sites and what we do, it generates income for them and am sure has made PC very popular with a lot of travellers. I know that in my company there are now 12 people all converted to PC and they now like to earn the points, before they stayed at any brand of hotel and did not collect anything at all (arghhh shock horror at them).

So please be very careful with what you do with the codes and links.

Regards
J
+1, and the threats about moving because your account is locked really shouldn't scare PC that much. If you are that fickle about points, I'm not sure how loyal you are that PC really wants to keep you.

BTW, my account must be frozen too because I can't login. I only did 9 quizzes for 900 pts...

Is there anyone who had an account deactivated, then reactivated, that is NOT deactivated again?

Last edited by mnredfox; Feb 12, 10 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 13, 10, 12:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
My IT friend told me, it is very easy to write a point subtraction program to fix the problem, then shut down any account with negative balance.

However, I doubt PC IT hire right people. it is not first time their IT department failed

In addition, I just realized that, there is no where mentioned you CAN NOT do the quiz more than once in T&C. It's their IT loophole, they suppose to fix it, not blocking the account and canceling existing award reservation.

Last edited by yyliu88; Feb 13, 10 at 12:51 am
Old Feb 13, 10, 1:23 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The ax has fallen on me, too. Called Amb desk, got the stock "random audit" explanation and "should be accessible in 48 hrs again"

The rep repeatedly said "it's not accessible online" never mentioning "suspended" or "frozen" and said all points for my upcoming stay will post normally and all benefits apply.
Old Feb 13, 10, 1:29 am

This incident is a valid Promotion Discussion Thread topic, in this case a failed one.

The PCR program is a key component of the IHG offering and to consider member participation as fickle is off target. IHG is only one roof in a market place of many and they encourage players with a multitude of accessible promotions and if that were not their aim to influence the market place with offers willing minions and IHG agents spread then they would be like SPG. Large numbers of 25-100+ stay per yr PCR members leaving the program even partially for whatever reason should be a concern to any business. If you've had a good, smooth run for years on the FT-PCR "Points Bank" deals and suddenly realty sets in that your savings account could be closed or taken by the bank over an NSF cheque then naturally things could change in how you do business. Yes players are at the mercy of PCR under the rules but PCR should also consider IHG is not the only roof in town if they over-react. It is what it is.
Old Feb 13, 10, 1:48 am

I could see it cooling off the points frenzy here and elsewhere. Kind of like forwarding a virus imbedded email to all your friends by mistake. If IHG IT controls are so weak I'd be concerned about the security of my information within PCR. PCR would have public confidence issues if this hits big time media as a hacker attack.

Search this Thread