Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Million Point Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club
2009 Million Point Club

Anyone else with me in earning 1M+ points in '09?

Status - Platinum Royal Ambassador (Dec. '09)
Total points - 1,034,042
Total nights - 267
Avg points / night = 3,873

My average isn't very good, but I didn't really start registering for promos till April or so and didn't find this site till June or July.

Also, I usually stay at Holiday Inn.

Hopefully, I won't be on the road so much this year...

Last edited by Quizarate; Jan 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:07 pm
RCC

and I thought I traveled a lot...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Geez....267 nights and there is only 252-255 US Business days biz days a year....you'll have to work even harder to find time to use your points. Congrats on 1mil+
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Welcome to FT !

The more you stay, the harder it is to keep the pts/nt average up - but you still did pretty well if you didn't find FT until mid-year

I figure that if you spent an average of ~$100/nt you were probably in the 5-6k/nt range after you found FT, which is pretty good going at that earnings level.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Congrats. That's impressive (# nights) and scary at the same time . I think some people may be able to match that but then lots of us split nights between 2-3 chains to have status & points in several programs in case something goes wrong with one of them. Cheers ...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Congrats on the 1M points!
That will be the new nightly redemption rate at IC's after the next increase.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:57 pm

Well done! I can only dream of what I would do with that many points! Or you could donate me 750K
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sobore
Congrats on the 1M points!
That will be the new nightly redemption rate at IC's after the next increase.
Funny you should post this. I'm thinking about doing two of the ultimate experiances. Last year the 'Platinum Experience Voucher' was 475k points, but I just checked what it is now and it is currently 500k points... though that has US09 as the year. Wonder if they'll go even higher for US10.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quizarate
Funny you should post this. I'm thinking about doing two of the ultimate experiances.\
Those things seem like such a waste to me.

I guess some of them are hard to put a value on, but 500K points has quite a bit of value--
494000 $1300 of gift cards
501000 $2100 of Any Hotel Anywhere amex gift cards
500000 ca. $1550-$1850 of Flights Anywhere redemptions
480000 12 IC nights anywhere in the world

EDIT: Cloud9 also sells their awards for cash. The 500K PCR redemption ones are in the $2000-$2500 range. I'm not sure most of them are really worth that much, but that's their price.
http://www.cloud9living.com/experien...s/price-2500/d

Last edited by soitgoes; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I hear you regarding value.

I look at the experiance though... I'd never pay to do the fighter pilot school or go to the Dayton 500, but I think both experiances have a value that is hard to quantify.

Just imagining the adrenaline rush while performing rolls and high speed dives in a vintage WW2 fighter gives me a rush. To actually experiance the real thing at the cost of doing nthing more than my normal job and travelling for work seems like a good deal...

Last edited by Quizarate; Jan 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Do you own or rent an apartment/home ? Spending so much time in hotels kind of looks like a waste of money on rent/mortgage/property tax/homeowners insurance. You should look into checking into a Candlewood/Staybridge suite for the few days currently spent outside of HI. That way you can earn a coulple of extra thousands of points for some flights.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
Do you own or rent an apartment/home ? Spending so much time in hotels kind of looks like a waste of money on rent/mortgage/property tax/homeowners insurance. You should look into checking into a Candlewood/Staybridge suite for the few days currently spent outside of HI. That way you can earn a coulple of extra thousands of points for some flights.
Nope, no apartment or home. I've been on the road for work the past two years so I gave it up and have essentially been doing what you described. My last gig was 6 months and my company put me up in a condo and the one before I stayed at the Marriot.

Right now there is a Candlewood close by so I have been staying there on the weekends or visiting friends, family, travelling on the weekends. Getting tired of it now though.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dgwright99
The more you stay, the harder it is to keep the pts/nt average up
dgwright99 is absolutely right. If I am you, I would probably create 3-4 PCR accounts with different address, so each account can benefit from maximum number of promotion codes.

In that way, your average will be even higher.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
wow, there we have an annual point millionaire.
Not bad.
Hope for you, that your bank account also grows that fast ;-)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Looking at the OP's post count I conclude:

Those who can, travel (and accrue pts); those who can't, post (on flyertalk and chat about it).

Well done OP!

By the way, I trust you have your home address written somewhere in case one day you forget!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.