Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Johannesburg Sandton Towers Master Thread (no longer an IC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by no-backpacker
Thanks a lot Nicolas! I might move my last 10 nights…. It depends if I am able to cancel the rest of the stay here. I have not payed in advance, so I take it it will be easy as long as I cancel some nights before. And yes, I do hate the area at Sandtorn. Only a big shopping-center…

Xxx.
Don't miss the Circa Gallery (superb contemporary building, great exhibitions, lovely roof terrace).

http://www.circaonjellicoe.co.za/?m=1

Koi is a pretty cool Asian restaurant

http://www.koirest.co.za
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Yes, maybe… however there are too much *I* didn't like with this hotel and I don't understand why everybody love it so much. Maybe I could ask for a suite, but I am not the person to ask and demand. I could also talk to the manager about the mini-bar not being refilled and the dirty towels, but… it's not my thing… (Maybe I have watched too much hotel-tv programs, I am afraid they will wash the toilet with my tooth-brush… :-) ) I just stay another place next time. I am actually looking up CP….

Xxx.
Did you get club access? If so you can take breakfast in the club lounge. I had to sign for this each day but it wasn't charged to my room bar the tips.

The club lounge offers cooked to order breakfast which I think actually comes from downstairs anyway so I don't see the advantage of going down to the busier restaurant myself.

Given how reasonable rates at this property are (my corporate rate is very good) I wouldn't book with points personally but thats just me.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Did you get club access? If so you can take breakfast in the club lounge. I had to sign for this each day but it wasn't charged to my room bar the tips.

The club lounge offers cooked to order breakfast which I think actually comes from downstairs anyway so I don't see the advantage of going down to the busier restaurant myself.

Given how reasonable rates at this property are (my corporate rate is very good) I wouldn't book with points personally but thats just me.
Yes, I did get club-access and my room is on the club-floor. I was told, from the manager: "No food in lounge during breakfast time, only coffee!" because I didn't have breakfast in my original rate. However the waiter in the lounge said it was for free…. Confusing…. Since they didn't manage to provide me with gluten free bread (I asked in advance and they promised me this. When I asked for it, they didn't have a clue….) I don't eat much breakfast anyway, so don't think I want to bother to fight anymore. Although I think it is pretty clear that if you have been upgraded to club, you should get all the club-benefits. However the manager still said I have to pay… well… well…

We have decided to just stay at the hotel as we have friends (actually another flyer talker) staying here and it is too much hassle to move hotel, but I think I will try another hotel next year.

Xxx.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
And the saga continues…

3 days ago I wrote an e-mail to the guest-relation manager. I referred to their rules about breakfast and that I had friends staying at the hotel who had gotten breakfast.

Today I got the answer…. Oh yes, of course I was entitled to breakfast, but only for ONE person! WHAT? I spoke to the woman on the phone and she insisted that because I had booked for one person, I would have to pay a higher rate if I wanted breakfast for two. I told her that I usually book for one person, as Royal Ambassadors don't pay the extra person charges and that I have NEVER had to fight to get breakfast for either one or two persons when I have been upgraded to a club-room. AND only as she knew, my husband is also a Royal Ambassador. I also told her that I was not happy that we had been without breakfast for 7 days because of their inconsistency. I got a "I am sorry, from now on you will both have breakfast, but for further stays, remember to book for two if you are two persons." That's all, no upgrade to a suite, no "we will remove some of your room-service bill" etc… However this seems to be the rule at this hotel. Don't go an extra cm. to make a guest happy….

In the lounge today… No food because there are few people, but they could order for the two of us. WHY on earth didn't they ASK us if we wanted anything? We have been sitting here for an hour, and in the end *we* had to ask. (And we got some nuts and dried fruit….)

And the minibar? After 2 days without any refill, I called, and even then they didn't manage to refill. The third day I had to call again, and then we got it refilled. The next day, I had to call…

If I will stay here again next time? Not sure… to be honest… I will have a look at the CP when we get a car so I might end up there next year.

Xxx.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And the saga continues…

3 days ago I wrote an e-mail to the guest-relation manager. I referred to their rules about breakfast and that I had friends staying at the hotel who had gotten breakfast.

Today I got the answer…. Oh yes, of course I was entitled to breakfast, but only for ONE person! WHAT? I spoke to the woman on the phone and she insisted that because I had booked for one person, I would have to pay a higher rate if I wanted breakfast for two.
To be fair, LOTS of hotels do this. I learned long ago to book for two if I wanted us both to get breakfast, club access, etc. Sure a good agent will overlook this at some hotels, but it's also true that any any hotel you can get someone who follows the rules strictly. And to be fair to them, they have it beaten into them by their manager to follow the rules strictly. The lesson is to not get upset, and just escalate til you get to someone who can correct the situation.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
To be fair, LOTS of hotels do this. I learned long ago to book for two if I wanted us both to get breakfast, club access, etc. Sure a good agent will overlook this at some hotels, but it's also true that any any hotel you can get someone who follows the rules strictly. And to be fair to them, they have it beaten into them by their manager to follow the rules strictly. The lesson is to not get upset, and just escalate til you get to someone who can correct the situation.
Hehe, well… "Strictly by rules" is NOT this hotels standard, trust me!

Yesterday we had dinner with a couple we met in the lounge, also RA. The reason we got to know them was that they were not at all happy with the service, even they got a very big suite. They said the same as me, the service is not up to IC standard. They are, as me and my husband, surprised by all the fantastic reviews from this hotel, as they also thought it must be one of the worst ICs. The hotel is not at all bad, just not up to 5* standard, in my opinion.

Xxx.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I'll be at the IC Sandton next week and wonder if I should go for their regular 'Europcar Chauffeur drive' which costs the same R525 as an Uber would cost or if I should use the Gautrain and use their free pickup from there.
Did anybody use the Gautrain recently? Not sure if that's worth doing to save a few bucks.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Gautrain works well and you don't risk being stuck in traffic. You need to call for the shuttle and it can take a while before it shows up.
Last few times there I just took a car from the taxi booth just after you exit customs before you go into the main hall. Price was around 400 (this is from memory, could be wrong). Clean cars. Nice drivers. They offer to pick you up for the same price.

I would use Gaitrain during rush hour and car/taxi otherwise.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:01 pm

Evening all, interested in any latest feedback and guidance on the hotel and services especially for RA's. Got a few nights and stays here.

Appreciate any info on rooms, club lounge and RA treatment that any of you have.

Also any recommendations for a great restaurant close by? I read about the Butcher Shop & Grill which looked interesting.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
several in Mandela square. Depends on what you are looking for.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Evening all, interested in any latest feedback and guidance on the hotel and services especially for RA's. Got a few nights and stays here.

Appreciate any info on rooms, club lounge and RA treatment that any of you have.

Also any recommendations for a great restaurant close by? I read about the Butcher Shop & Grill which looked interesting.

Thanks in advance
The Butchers shop isn't what it once was I don't think since it's massive expansion a few years ago but is still probably worth a visit.

RA's (or at least this one) still get suites, decent size, could use a refurb but in acceptable condition. Club lounge is small but with a wide selection of drinks and food and very good service.

If you don't confine yourself to Sandton and are prepared to take a car downtown, I would recommend the Marabi Club.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Butchers shop isn't what it once was I don't think since it's massive expansion a few years ago but is still probably worth a visit.

RA's (or at least this one) still get suites, decent size, could use a refurb but in acceptable condition. Club lounge is small but with a wide selection of drinks and food and very good service.

If you don't confine yourself to Sandton and are prepared to take a car downtown, I would recommend the Marabi Club.
Thanks LOM, just looking at the Marabi Club now .... looks interesting. OK all promising, I read mixed reports but most were a few years back, good or bad. Many thanks for the steer.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
several in Mandela square. Depends on what you are looking for.
Hi there, yes I think that's why I looked for a direction .... lots of options but no great clarity in mind.

Tend to find myself looking for top end steakhouse when I can't easily identify something that grabs me .... old habits die hard. In reality the collection of folks who will be going are all open minded types and so the scope really is 'anything and everything' but something a little wow as well.

Close to the IC is good but anywhere is an option in reality. Don't know JNB greatly well so not so familiar with choices. Tend to avoid the uber niche dry ice plate places but other than that, a wide open field with the focus on quality and memory.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I have just noticed that InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers has left IHG, and is now Sandton Towers
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I have just noticed that InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers has left IHG, and is now Sandton Towers
thats a pity. Apart from the airport IC, IHG doesn't have any higher end property left in the JNB / capital area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.