Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HI LHR Ariel Master Thread [merged] - now a Best Western

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:03 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by tom911
Is this property in the free zone for local transit? I've stayed at the other one up at Bath Road and Sipson which is and it's nice to avoid the Hotel Hoppa charge.
Yes, it is.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I've stayed there twice (got outer rooms). It was fine for one night...very inexpensive and convenient, and I would stay there again when traveling solo. I never encountered a queue at check in. You just walk across the street and there's a bus stop a short distance away (in the free transit zone, as mentioned).
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by speedbird85
I just spent one night at the HI Heathrow Ariel as had an early flight and needed the PC points. Got a cheap rate so was about half the price of the HI Heathrow. Easy access from the terminals, took the public bus rather than Hotel Hoppa.
Check-in was fast and the front desk staff were friendly. I booked a single so was expecting a small room so that didn't bother me. Room was clean and bed comfortable enough.
The TV was old and poor signal on all channels. My room key stopped working twice (had kept it away from phone and wallet).
There was little noise from outside, but I could hear the TVs and every bathroom noise from the neighbouring rooms so only got a few hours sleep
The fire alarm went off and had to go outside. It was handled fairly well by the hotel staff who handed out foil blankets to those who were cold.

Overall, I wouldn't go back even if it was much cheaper than the HI Heathrow.
Hmm... I am starting to think you are stalking me...

I was there last night too. Booked a single room, was more than happy with it. It is better than some of the hotels that we get put in when we are away on night stops. Comfortable bed, shower with decent water pressure and effective air conditioning.

As said, the fire alarm went off and the fire service attended.

When I checked in, I waited about 2 minutes whilst the two staff dealt with other guests. On check out, I had no wait at all, but this was at 05:40 in the morning, so that did not surprise me.

I would certainly stay again on the cheap single room rate, I was very happy with it.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Hmm... I am starting to think you are stalking me...

I was there last night too. Booked a single room, was more than happy with it. It is better than some of the hotels that we get put in when we are away on night stops. Comfortable bed, shower with decent water pressure and effective air conditioning.

As said, the fire alarm went off and the fire service attended.

When I checked in, I waited about 2 minutes whilst the two staff dealt with other guests. On check out, I had no wait at all, but this was at 05:40 in the morning, so that did not surprise me.

I would certainly stay again on the cheap single room rate, I was very happy with it.
Hmm.. I haven't taken up stalking yet. Though I do have an almost identical photo on my phone...

I thought the room itself was fine - clean, comfortable bed, bathroom fine. Perhaps I was unlucky with my room location, just couldn't believe the amount of noise coming from the neighbouring bathrooms. I'll try earplugs if there is a next time.

Useful being within the Heathrow free transport area, saves on the Hotel Hoppa.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably because I think you were standing next to me at the wall at the edge of the car park when we had to stand outside. Dark blue sweatshirt or knitted top? Dark blue jeans? Had to come back to reception as your key card was not working after the fire alarm? That you?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Every time I stay at the Ariel they mess up on the points postings - watch this, almost every stay over the last 5 years (2 plus stays a year) they take the room rate before VAT and then subtract VAT from this amount even though it is on top of the room rate. Then they often add extra charges for phone calls that I do not make, or minibar charges for free platinum items in the exec rooms.

The Ariel used to give free parking and a welcome drink to Plat's but this stopped last year, and no points for the daily parking either. And they explain this "enhancement" as keeping in line with the competition around Heathrow.

I only continue to stay here because of the low rates and also ease of getting to/from the airport on the free bus transportation to the airport.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:15 pm

Probably because I think you were standing next to me at the wall at the edge of the car park when we had to stand outside. Dark blue sweatshirt or knitted top? Dark blue jeans? Had to come back to reception as your key card was not working after the fire alarm? That you?
Are you stalking me

I was wearing a black top and dark blue jeans and yes I had to walk back down to reception. You wearing a grey t-shirt and jeans, turned round to watch the planes landing?

Similar photo:

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...85/HIAriel.jpg
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you stalking me

I was wearing a black top and dark blue jeans and yes I had to walk back down to reception. You wearing a grey t-shirt and jeans, turned round to watch the planes landing?

Similar photo:

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...85/HIAriel.jpg
Yes, that was me... The one looking half asleep and shivering...
And of course, I am a plane spotter, so I was watching the planes... Did you note, 2 x BA 757 one after the other...? A rare sight these days!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:47 pm

Yes, that was me... The one looking half asleep and shivering...
And of course, I am a plane spotter, so I was watching the planes... Did you note, 2 x BA 757 one after the other...? A rare sight these days!
Yes, you did look a bit cold! I did notice the 757s although had just taken out my contact lenses so all a bit blury.. I am a plane spotter as well

Last edited by speedbird85; Jun 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm Reason: typ
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you did look a bit cold! I did notice the 757s although had just taken out my contact lenses so all a bit blury.. I am a plane spotter as well
Ah... I see... well, I did, you did not so well...

Anyways, back to the Hotel... I was pretty happy with it, so will stay again if I have to. Public bus straight to T5 from the other side of Harlington Corner junction, within the free zone, all good...
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by tom911
Is this property in the free zone for local transit?
Yes.

It is called the "Heathrow free-flow fare-free zone". Try saying that after a couple of pints

I have found the HI Ariel survivable if not particularly enjoyable. But then again I have never had the attraction of having the local firemen turn up...
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Yes.

It is called the "Heathrow free-flow fare-free zone". Try saying that after a couple of pints

I have found the HI Ariel survivable if not particularly enjoyable. But then again I have never had the attraction of having the local firemen turn up...
Good point, I should of been watching them, not trying to look at the planes landing behind
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Yes.

Unfortunately, much like the rest of the LFB, nothing to get remotely excited about...

The bus from diagonally across the junction takes you straight to T5, took about 15 minutes and runs roughly every 15 minutes, fantastic. Was very pleased.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:00 am

A quick update...

The points (including various promo codes) posted today (checked out Sunday). I also had a very satisfactory response to some comments I put to the hotel regarding my stay. I am inclined to think that the noise problems were with my particular room so I would be happy to give the hotel another go, especially for the low rate I paid.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
I agree - its survivable, and not worth double the price. I always check the rate code "ISHC1" for these hotels first, as this gives you breakfast to boot.
I plan to stay at this hotel overnight in August and ISHC1 rate is only 29GBP
including vat and breakfast. Can anybody confrim that this rate get points? (I have made a mistake once with IKEX3 and do not want to repeat it again)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.