Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HI LHR Ariel Master Thread [merged] - now a Best Western

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:16 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Just a quick update. Arrived back at LHR after a one night stay at the HI Ariel. The Bus service ( free ) worked fantastic. Lines #105, 111 and 140 operate 24 hours in both directions, both stops are right across the hotel. No charge, therefor saved 16 Pounds or nearly 30 USD, enough to pay for a highly overpriced bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale at the hotel. Transfer from Central Bus Station to T4 was easy via Heathrow Connect train, needed 15 minutes waiting but everything worked out extremely well.
So, once more : Thanks!!!
The property itself was nothing to get excited about. I had read all the Tripadvisor comments and they were quite enthusiastic. We found the ( upgraded ) room quite small, very basic, but it sufficed for a 7 hour stay.
Another thanks to the thread starter, I stayed at this hotel about 10 days ago as none of the inner London hotels were available. Free shuttle bus worked well even at 1:30am. caught the last tube from London before it stops for the night..

The shuttle buses usually depart from bus stops 19 or 20.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
HI London Heathrow Ariel

Hi,

Just managed to get a night at the above hotel for £35 for a night. Only a single room, it's just me on my lonesome...

Is this place alright?

Looks a bit nasty from the outside...

BBB
Old May 24, 2010, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Room is tiny small. NO space to turn yourself around in the room. Shower occasionally broke. Tiny bathroom.

Lack of upgrade. Book single get single.

Awful place to stay. But breakfast is descent.

Only for matress run. And several times the points was not posted.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IC6A
Room is tiny small. NO space to turn yourself around in the room. Shower occasionally broke. Tiny bathroom.

Lack of upgrade. Book single get single.

Awful place to stay. But breakfast is descent.

Only for matress run. And several times the points was not posted.
Good job I booked cancelable rate then! ^
Old May 24, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Hi,

Just managed to get a night at the above hotel for £35 for a night. Only a single room, it's just me on my lonesome...

Is this place alright?

Looks a bit nasty from the outside...

BBB
It's only OK if you can persuade them to give you one of the "outer" rooms. The ones facing inside are tiny: really tiny!
Old May 24, 2010, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's only OK if you can persuade them to give you one of the "outer" rooms. The ones facing inside are tiny: really tiny!
I had both inside and outside Single on different floors. To me there is no difference. The outside room feel much better but still tiny.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I've booked into an executive room directly, on the outside of the hotel. It wasn't terrible. Small but clean and very well soundproofed. Front desk arranged a pre-paid taxi for me with no problem.

I'd stay there again in an exec room.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
As a Platinum member, they have always automatically upgraded me to an executive room at this property. (An executive room being one of the ones facing outward - which are still tiny). This hotel can often be pre-booked for £30-£40 including breakfast which is decent.

Last time we stayed at Heathrow we used the Holiday Inn further up the road (closer to the airport), called "London-Heathrow". This can also be booked for £30-£40 inc breakfast sometimes. We got a complimentary upgrade here too, and the breakfast was also very good.

If the two are the same price for the date you're looking at, then I would drop the Ariel.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the date I need, the Ariel is £35 flex rate and the London Heathrow is £79 advanced purchase, so I think I will stick with the Ariel and give it a whirl... I will only be there for 16 hours, hopefully it will not be that bad.

I did not book with breakfast as I will be up and gone before it is served.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
For the date I need, the Ariel is £35 flex rate and the London Heathrow is £79 advanced purchase, so I think I will stick with the Ariel and give it a whirl... I will only be there for 16 hours, hopefully it will not be that bad.

I did not book with breakfast as I will be up and gone before it is served.
I agree - its survivable, and not worth double the price. I always check the rate code "ISHC1" for these hotels first, as this gives you breakfast to boot.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Mucci - Diamond Hairbrush
I've stayed here twice. It is ok, nothing more, nothing less. I don't recall any aircraft noise.
Old May 27, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Statusless Person
I don't recall any aircraft noise.
The sound proofing is excellent, at least in the executive rooms. There are two sets of windows with a sizable gap between them. I was facing the power-up point of the runway and when I closed both windows, the noise disappeared. It was remarkable.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This place is always cheap - which is a good thing.
Other good things - close to bus stops.

Bad things - always huge queue at check-in, often Plat upgrades don't happen and they say they are sold out.

I have switched to the Holiday Inn Heathrow - also close to bus stops, but harder to get to Heathrow from there than the Ariel. Almost as cheap, but nicer rooms.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Wouldn't stay again

I just spent one night at the HI Heathrow Ariel as had an early flight and needed the PC points. Got a cheap rate so was about half the price of the HI Heathrow. Easy access from the terminals, took the public bus rather than Hotel Hoppa.
Check-in was fast and the front desk staff were friendly. I booked a single so was expecting a small room so that didn't bother me. Room was clean and bed comfortable enough.
The TV was old and poor signal on all channels. My room key stopped working twice (had kept it away from phone and wallet).
There was little noise from outside, but I could hear the TVs and every bathroom noise from the neighbouring rooms so only got a few hours sleep
The fire alarm went off and had to go outside. It was handled fairly well by the hotel staff who handed out foil blankets to those who were cold.

Overall, I wouldn't go back even if it was much cheaper than the HI Heathrow.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is this property in the free zone for local transit? I've stayed at the other one up at Bath Road and Sipson which is and it's nice to avoid the Hotel Hoppa charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.