Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Is it a bit tacky for a bank to ask for payment of a loan you took out years ago? If the points were not removed at the time, they are still owed for the stay that was given. That's what audits are all about, they catch these things that drop through the cracks, the 1 out of 1 millionth transaction.
I don't think that's a good analogy. A better analogy when it comes to a points stay is that you sent a check and they decide they didn't cash it and now, 20 months later, demand that you produce the canceled check and assorted other documentation.

In that case, they should probably write it off as their mistake and blame themselves for taking nearly two years to notice it or take it up with IC for not crediting the hotel. It is unreasonable to make accusations and demand payment more than 6 months later. In the US, most personal checks expire after 6 months.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Is it a bit tacky for a bank to ask for payment of a loan you took out years ago? If the points were not removed at the time, they are still owed for the stay that was given. That's what audits are all about, they catch these things that drop through the cracks, the 1 out of 1 millionth transaction.
I would think the PC system is seriously flawed if they are deducting points 20 months after a stay.
I would think their management is flawed if their system is built on this concept.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: LH Sen, IHG Spire, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by davidhii
When I complained to PC, they requested me to show them my "break-down" bills of my hotel stay. Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?
Why don't you ask the hotel for a copy of your bill?
They are supposed to keep it for many years.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Did that. As usual, it takes days for them to come back with an email reply.

I am happy to pay for the points which I am supposed to pay but they have forgotten to charge. However I am certainly not willing to pay when they over deduct the points and expect me to produce evidence of my stay 1 year 8 months ago.

Originally Posted by LHWolf
Why don't you ask the hotel for a copy of your bill?
They are supposed to keep it for many years.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Wow! This is fantastic!

I got it now. In fact I got points for the first night of my stay. That's definitely not a reward claim. I must have paid for the opening speical promotion. However the second night points were deducted and was credited back again a day later. Perhaps that's where they made a mistake.

I am not sure if this is sufficient evidence for PC to say that I only claimed reward points for 1 night instead of 2 nights they deducted from me lately.

Originally Posted by MXM135
davidhii,

The following link should be able to let you view your account transactions back to 2006. It has been posted many times in this forum. Hopefully, it will help you solve the riddle regarding your stay in 2007.

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d...ansaction=4000

Good luck and hope it helps.

mxm135
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have had the situation where I book with PC points, they get refunded at the time of the stay, and then taken back again months later. But never 2 years on (but they have always caught this much faster in my cases).

And, FWIW, I keep most bills for 10+ years.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Exactly. Sometimes I just think what these people are .
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Still nothing from PC yet after almost a week. Looks like its important for all to keep our hotel bills for more than 7 years! I can't believe this.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:27 am

Take a look at the small print on your checking or credit card account. Typical restriction is that you have 6 months after statement date to contest charges.

Even government issued checks have an expiration date of a year.

For IC to go back more than 12 months is unreasonable.

Last edited by njfan07; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davidhii
Still nothing from PC yet after almost a week. Looks like its important for all to keep our hotel bills for more than 7 years! I can't believe this.
I am sorting out my study and garage at the moment, just can't believe how many statements I've kept for the last ten years.

But there are more important statements to keep than hotel bills.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
It should go both ways

If you forgot to post a stay and obtain your points, you can file a missing stay request but you have a limit on how long ago that stay occurred, I think it's one year. So the same should apply to them. If it has been more than a year that some error was made, they have a year to discover it and amend it.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I do agree that there should be a cut off period. For example, I was charged for a hotel stay on Amex that happened almost 12 months earlier (it was a double charge). Amex immediately cancel that charge once I called them. Amex didn't even bother to ask me why and if its a double charge.

The longest cut off period has to be for tax return files. Where I come from, its limited to 7 years. Thereafter, let all hold their peace.

Last edited by davidhii; Sep 27, 2009 at 9:06 pm
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
I am sorting out my study and garage at the moment, just can't believe how many statements I've kept for the last ten years.

But there are more important statements to keep than hotel bills.
If PC can claim points for stays years back, in theory PC should be able to claim for missed payments $$ years back. Thank God for credit card companies (somehow a rare tribute to them!) they put a cut off period to back-dated claims.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The relevant period is the statutory limitation period in the relevant jurisdiction. Full stop. It might be unfriendly to come with a hotel charge after a year or so but it is certainly not unjustified. And seriously: I personally know whether or not I paid a bill or not via my creditcard (and I am certainly not the one with few charges).
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The relevant period is the statutory limitation period in the relevant jurisdiction. Full stop. It might be unfriendly to come with a hotel charge after a year or so but it is certainly not unjustified. And seriously: I personally know whether or not I paid a bill or not via my creditcard (and I am certainly not the one with few charges).
At one time I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you, put there's been a change because of the shift toward pre-paid rates and the different way they are applied. Some are charged immediately, some not until the stay. Over a couple of weeks worth of stays it can be confusing and the chances of double billing increased.

While your legal opinion is exactly right, charges out of the blue are often not correct. We recently had a situation overseas where a room was paid for with points, we checked out and were told there were no charges and then we get back home and they've charged our credit card for the room. They were apologetic and rectified the problem immediately, but it still cost us a couple of dollars in exchange rate differences. If they were to come back nearly two years later and want to rehash it, I would be angry. Angry enough that I would think that justice would involve something punitive if they were incorrect in their action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.