Lowest Internet Rate Guarantee Master Thread [merged]

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:02 am
htb
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Thumbs down Lowest Rate Guarantee has become useless

I'm not sure if there has been a change recently, but this is the first time I've run into the problem concerning the lowest rate guarantee.

Guest must book the lowest available rate on the 'Best Available' rate search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Lowest Internet Rate Guarantee.
(http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ate/lowtc.html) emphasis not added)

Of course, the lowest available rate is usually an Advance Purchase rate that cannot be cancelled or changed, even if the cheaper rate on a different website is fully flexible.

In my case the rate found was even cheaper than the 14 day Advance Purchase rate, but since my plans might be changing I won't book the unchangeable rate and was thus denied the lowest rate guarantee.

HTB.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by htb
I'm not sure if there has been a change recently, but this is the first time I've run into the problem concerning the lowest rate guarantee.

(http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ate/lowtc.html) emphasis not added)

In my case the rate found was even cheaper than the 14 day Advance Purchase rate, but since my plans might be changing I won't book the unchangeable rate and was thus denied the lowest rate guarantee.

HTB.
Was the cheaper rate flexible ?? And did it satisfy the toughest hurdle - was it "instantly" available ?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:07 am
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Was the cheaper rate flexible ?? And did it satisfy the toughest hurdle - was it "instantly" available ?
Yes and yes. The lady told me that if I change my reservation to the Advanced Purchase one, they would honor the lowest rate guarantee and give me 10% off.

HTB.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by htb
Yes and yes. The lady told me that if I change my reservation to the Advanced Purchase one, they would honor the lowest rate guarantee and give me 10% off.

HTB.
Great news! It's just the house rules which make them seem less than willing to assist ....
Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, Priority Club Plat, Marriott, SPG, Htz Gold
Had some luck with the best rate guarantee early on but they have gotten pretty tight about it now.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
yah its just marketing!!!!!!! they have way to many rules.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:59 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Which property is this, and who is offering the lower rate? There may be more to this than meets the eye.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:03 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by why fly
yah its just marketing!!!!!!! they have way to many rules.
it's not just marketing I used to receive 10-15 emails per day from HI Guest Relations due to Lowest Rate Guarantee... and at least 1 was valid (see ya $75!)
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:55 am
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
Which property is this, and who is offering the lower rate? There may be more to this than meets the eye.
I'm sure there's not...

Property: Toubu Narita
Cheaper Rate: http://www.bestrsv.com/vacant/200106...GLE/OB14DAY/1/

They offer the 22 m2 room (double bed, single use) for the 14-day advance purchase rate of the 21 m2 room. The 22 m2 room on priorityclub.com is more expensive, even with 14-day advance purchase.

bestrsv.com let's you cancel until one day before your stay.

So in order to get the lowest rate guarantee to work I would have to commit to stay at the hotel or loose my deposit. This was different even just a few weeks ago, where I succesfully applied for the guarantee twice (cheaper rate also found on bestrsv.com).

HTB.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:00 am
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
it's not just marketing I used to receive 10-15 emails per day from HI Guest Relations due to Lowest Rate Guarantee... and at least 1 was valid (see ya $75!)
Haha... I'm currently staying at a Holiday Inn Express (staying 4 nights) and I've applied twice for the lowest rate guarantee for a total of 3 nights. If they have to pay 2x$75 I can understand why they were less then pleased to receive me...

And I've just been down to the front and asked them for a larger room for the other three days when they are not sold out (I'm PC Platinum, and got the smallest single they have). They reluctantly agreed to a one-category upgrade... should I point out the rules of PC Plat again tomorrow?.

HTB.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:46 am
yep

Programs: PC Plat RA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by htb
I'm sure there's not...

nice site ... but a bit difficult to read and understand...

yep
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:31 am
mkt

Originally Posted by htb
Haha... I'm currently staying at a Holiday Inn Express (staying 4 nights) and I've applied twice for the lowest rate guarantee for a total of 3 nights. If they have to pay 2x$75 I can understand why they were less then pleased to receive me...

And I've just been down to the front and asked them for a larger room for the other three days when they are not sold out (I'm PC Platinum, and got the smallest single they have). They reluctantly agreed to a one-category upgrade... should I point out the rules of PC Plat again tomorrow?.

HTB.
print them out (if you can, if not bring down your laptop with that on the screen) and take them to the front. Ask to speak with a manager. If they mention that we aren't with IHG, mention franchise agreements. If that doesn't do anything, call HI Guest Relations from the room phone and insist that as part of your compensation you want those phone charges reversed for the call to HIGR

Obviously the desk agents are less than aware of what they are allowed to do within their job description.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:39 am
mkt

Originally Posted by htb
I'm sure there's not...

They offer the 22 m2 room (double bed, single use) for the 14-day advance purchase rate of the 21 m2 room. The 22 m2 room on priorityclub.com is more expensive, even with 14-day advance purchase.

bestrsv.com let's you cancel until one day before your stay.

So in order to get the lowest rate guarantee to work I would have to commit to stay at the hotel or loose my deposit. This was different even just a few weeks ago, where I succesfully applied for the guarantee twice (cheaper rate also found on bestrsv.com).

HTB.
if you want a trick... albeit somewhat of a shady one, put the wrong expiration date on your CC. Some hotels will honor the rate, even once the card declines. Careful though, not all will... a few may cancel the reservation, but I only know of one that has ever done that... most properties I know of don't worry about it.

If this is one of those properties, this will give you the needed leverage to pull Lowest Rate Guarantee without worrying about your card being charged in full.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:01 pm
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
print them out (if you can, if not bring down your laptop with that on the screen) and take them to the front. Ask to speak with a manager. If they mention that we aren't with IHG, mention franchise agreements. If that doesn't do anything, call HI Guest Relations from the room phone and insist that as part of your compensation you want those phone charges reversed for the call to HIGR

Obviously the desk agents are less than aware of what they are allowed to do within their job description.
Happily it all turned out well: when I came back to the hotel they told me they had the largest room available for me (Twin Room, about three times as big as the previous room).

I'm not sure if the hard way you proposed would have gotten me anywhere -- the T&C state that the upgrade will be given at the time of check-in, and at the time of check-in they actually were completely booked (public holiday, convenient location).

Originally Posted by mkt
if you want a trick... albeit somewhat of a shady one, put the wrong expiration date on your CC.
I usually don't like "shady" tricks, but making me book a non-changeable non-refundable rate in order to apply for the lowest rate guarantee (even though the lower rate is refundable) changes the rules of the game...

Originally Posted by yep
nice site ... but a bit difficult to read and understand...
The first time I contacted priorityclub through the email form for the lowest rate guarantee. The answer was that they couldn't read the site and please contact my local reservation office (which closes at 6 pm). The local reservation office didn't know anything about the lowest rate guarantee ("If you found a cheaper rate, why don't you book it?"). That was only the very first time, though...

HTB.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
rate guarantee

i booked an advance purchase superior room at a holiday inn (standard room was same price), then found a cheaper rate on a different website for a standard room.

under the ihg rate guarantee, do i qualify for a 10% discount from the cheaper rate if i choose to downgrade to standard? the website lets me downgrade to a standard room, but i was advised by the pc gold elite helpline not to confirm the change online because it might count as a cancellation (100% penalty). i was told that a note has been put on the reservation to downgrade to a standard room, so that cancellation fees are not triggered.

does anyone have any experience here?

ian.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.