Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

I stayed at IC Amstel Amsterdam 2 weeks ago, booked a cheapest basic room and got upgraded to a penhouse suite (worth €1350). Everything in the room you can eat and drink is free of charge for RA. The total amount of the mini-bar cost €506 which is actually more than what I paid for the room night. Here are what they have in the room:

1 Bacardi Superior Rum (CASA FUNDADA EN CUBA) 350ml - €32.5
1 Martel V.S.O.P. Medaillon 350ml - €45
1 Grand Marnier 200ml - €32.5
1 Grey Goose Vodka 375ml - €32.5
1 Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin 500ml - €32.5
1 Glendfidch Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Aged 12 yrs) 350ml - €32.5
1 Red Wine (2002 Chateau De la Commanderie) LALANDE-DE-POMEROL, GRAND VIN DE BORDEAUX 375ml - €30
1 White Wine - Chablis VIN DE BOURGOGNE GRAND (Domaine Billaud-Simon) 375ml - €30
1 Champagne – Nicolas Feuillatte BRUT 200ml - €16.5
2 Grolsch Beer 330ml - €8
3 Voss Water Sill water from Norway 330ml - €8
2 Voss Sparkling water from Norway 375ml - €8
2 Coca Cola 0.5L - €8
2 Coca Cola Light 0.5L - €8
1 Red Bull - €8
1 Firefly Grapefruit, Passionfruit & Yerba Mate - €8
1 Firefly Peach & Green Tea - €8
1 Iced Coffee ICECINO - €8
1 Canadian Red Cranberry Juice - €8
2 Rauch Orange Juice with pulp - €8
1 Rauch Mix Juice Multi Vitamin - €8
1 Gezouten Mix Nuts SUKWANO 125gm - €7.5
1 Japanese Mix SUKWANO 75gm - €7.5
2 Pringles (original / Paprika) 43gm - €7.5
1 Godiva (2 bars) - €7.5
2 Eat Natural Fruit and Nut Bar - €7.5
1 Amedei Assorted Pralines, Dark Chocolate - €7.5
1 Mints ORALFIXATION MOJITO - €10
1 Evian 0.5L Complimentary

Unfortunately I don't drink alcohol at all, and only opened up a bottle of champagne to have couple of sips, but it was nice to have the nuts and chocolate and the sparkling water from Norway.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Jul 9, 2007 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC Amstel not only has the best minibar out of all ICs, it is probably also the best of all ICs.

The sad thing is that the 506 Euro worth of drinks and junk food are probably worth about 50 Euro. Again, this is a great perk for RAs, and one that has a much higher perceived value than it costs.

8 Euro ($10.50) for a Red Bull? GMAFB.

I'm trying to figure out the second-best minibar. Might be the Willard, especially when you get upgraded to the executive suite, with 2 minibars.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Guess they assume anyone opening a bottle of liquor is going to consume the equivilent of 4 minis? Those Dutch were always known for their liberal approach to life's "sins"...

While the pricing does look a bit out of whack, divide those liquor bottles by four and the price is pretty similar to the charge for the minis. And the champers is among the less expensive in the IC group.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton GLD , IC RA, Marriott PLT, Avis FIRST
That is quite a list. I would imagine one would need a little help in emptying that fridge.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Just two beers?? Jeez!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by WonderDude
Just two beers?? Jeez!
Yes, this is rather odd indeed, especially for Holland. But if you talk to the minibar replenisher, he might be able to provide more bottles. Not sure if this is official policy or he was just being nice, but I basically said they left me no choice but to crack open one or more of the expensive bottles of booze :-)

FWIW, in comparison with the prices for the Coke or Red Bull, the price for the 375ml (and in some cases upgraded to 500ml) bottles of booze are a fair price and a bargain; we're talking the equivalent of 5 to 7 mini-bottles.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
UPDATE

Currently in the Amstel, and the splendid Minibar contents remains identical.

Plus the complimentary drinks on arrival.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:20 am

Looks interesting...I have a few days booked here just before Christmas.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
Originally Posted by McCoy
UPDATE

Currently in the Amstel, and the splendid Minibar contents remains identical.

Plus the complimentary drinks on arrival.
Till 2004 or so they used to have the drinks (cognac, whisky etc.) in decanters and the minibar responsible person would come with a measuring stick (different one for each decanter) and determine how much the non-RAs needed to be charged. He would also then fill up back to the standard level.

One can imagine the possibilities for fraud - or worse. So they went to decent sized bottles. Very good decision.

Have a good time at the Amstel. Marvelous hotel, anyhow.^
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:15 am

IC Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread [merged]

I love luxury hotels..am wondering is this hotel worth 495euros for a standard room in May?
There are other nice hotels like The Grand, Hotel Pulitzer, and The Marriot that I can get for 350 euros. Just wondering if it is worth the extra $$$??

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by skymutt
I love luxury hotels..am wondering is this hotel worth 495euros for a standard room in May?
There are other nice hotels like The Grand, Hotel Pulitzer, and The Marriot that I can get for 350 euros. Just wondering if it is worth the extra $$$??

Thanks!

Yes - if you get an Ambassador or even better a RA upgrade.

Well worth considering joining Ambassador for $150 - use your BOGO to get second weekend night of stay free. Best value way to stay, other than pay one night and use points for a second night.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam: great tradition upon Amstel river

The InterContinental Hotel Amstel Amsterdam is housed in a magnificent building of the nineteenth century, which along the Amstel Canal. Its location is not directly central, if one considers that the city centre is near the Central Station. But Amsterdam is not a very large city, and the main museums and buildings are easily accessible on foot, or even better, by bicycle, since we are in the city of bicycles.
In addition, the Weesperplein subway station, which connects directly to the central station (Thalys), is adjacent to the hotel.

The interior decoration of the hotel is actually very successful: white walls, enhanced by the sofas with precious black fabrics, antique furniture, dark carpets and bright chandeliers.

As a RA, you will be upraded to a Junior Suite. The Junior Suite are quite large and are pleasantly decorated in a classic but not kitsch way. The beds are very comfortable, and it is difficult to get out of the room despite many attractions in the city. The bathroom is also very nice, with an impressive old tub, which is filled in less than a minute, and l'Occitane cosmetics.

The 'Amstel Lounge ", which is not a Club InterContinental lounge ,is perfect for a snack, with a very pleasant view of the canal.

The hotel staff is helpful, friendly and very professional. There are few hotels that offer such a feeling of exclusivity and quality in the great hotel tradition (even if the price is commensurate with such quality).

The hotel has a beautiful indoor pool, which is at the same level as the canal. You may have the illusion to swim in the canal while watching the large bay window along the pool. In addition, the fitness club, which is open 24 hoursa day, is well equipped and has a sauna and solarium.

InterContinental hotels are often good quality hotels, but most of them are more on business than really exclusive hotels nor palaces. The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is a pleasant exception: it is a gem where you should stay in when visiting the beautiful and vibrant city of Amsterdam.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Two things to note:

1. Despite being an IC, the Amstel is a boutique property - only 80 rooms I think
2. It is very classically designed, so 'old school' luxury

If you have IC Royal Ambassador status it is a dream place to stay because the free mini bar contains 6 half-bottles of premium spirits, wines and champagne!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Cool 140th anniversary

Quoted from a book distributed at IC Amstel:

Those who pass through the revolving door of the IC Amstel know that they are walking in the footsteps of many of the greats on this earth. Kings and queens have stepped inside these doors, governmental leaders from across the globe held their lunches there, top managers concluded their deals, and famous musicians, film directors and pop stars have been brought to the front entrance in their limousines.

On 2 February 2002, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander married Princess Maxima Zorreguieta. IC Amstel was transformed into the private residence of more than 50 royal guests and other international personalities for 3 days. 11 kings and queens stayed at the hotel, 13 crown princes and crown princesses and 29 princes and princesses, as well as Kofi Annan (head of the United Nations at the time) and Nelson Mandela, who were also accompanied by their wives.

Celebrities stayed there:

Maria Callas
King of Jordan
Elizabeth Taylor (booked 3 extra roooms for her 3 dogs)
pianist Vladimir Horowitz
composer and pianist Sergei Rachmaninov
aircraft constructor Anthonie Fokker
pianist Maurizio Pollini
violinst Yehudi Menuhin
cellist Yo-Yo Ma
singers Elizabeth Schwarzkopf and Jessye Norman
conductor Willem Mengelberg
film director Orson Welles
Oliver Stone
Walt Disney
David Lynch
Jan de Bont
Steven Spieberg
authors Thomas Mann and Harold Pinter
Tulpplein
members of State: Tito, Willy Brandt, Kissinger, Lyndon Johnson & Bill Clinton and his wife
Audrey Hepburn
Marlene Dietrich
Yves Montand
architect Gustav Eiffel (related to the construstion of the nearby Carre theatre, the roof of which was designed by Eiffel)
The rolling Stones
Robbie Williams
Madonna
U2
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Paul McCartney
Celine Dion
Tom Cruise
Bruce Willis
Rowan Atkinson
Shakira
Richard Gere
Lionel Richie
Diana Ross (in the words of Diana Ross in the guest book in 1981: "I feel like a queen and I love it!")

About Ocean's Twelve
To the great pleasure of the many fans, a large part of the successful film Ocean's twelve is set in Amsterdam. During filming, which took almost a month, the main actors such as George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon stayed at the Amstel Hotel, along with the flim producer: Jerry Weintraub.

About Shrek III
On 12 July 2007, Antonio Banderas and Cameron Diaz held their press conference for the release of Shrek III at the Amstel Hotel. CAmeron Diaz happily told the press that she loved the cheese sandwiches and the bitterballen she had been served at the hotel

Last edited by GordonGordon; Feb 8, 2008 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
I don't know about the Amstel.

If by the Marriott you mean the one on the Leidesplein, don't waste your money there. Good location, but not a very nice hotel in my opinion. At least not for the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.