Best Places for Honeymoon ???? [merged]

Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
Best Places for Honeymoon ???? [merged]

My Fiance and I are getting married next year and since we are paying for most of the wedding; I'm planning on using my miles and points for the honeymoon.

I'm looking for recommendations for good honeymoon spots, preferably some place warm (we're getting married in Michigan in February). I'm earning all these points at HIX so I'd really prefer a CP or IC. We're still in the early stages of planning, so we aren't ruling out international destinations (I've got a ton of points and miles).

Any recommendations or good/bad experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, PC RA
You can do a search there are a bunch of good suggestions from other folks but my husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in French Polynesia and stayed at the IC's on Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora at Thalasso Spa - well worth the points for a room that is over 1,000 per night. However it doesn't appear people are having luck booking the over the water bungalow anymore - but you can also try Le Moana in Bora Bora as well. Congrats and Happy Planning.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
If you are short on points for Bora Bora I would suggest Phi Phi Island holiday Inn resort in Thialand. It is cute and exotic for only 15k a night
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
For value for money with points, as previously mentioned, French Polynesia is definitely a good option for a Honeymoon destination - especially Bora Bora.

This year there are a number of IC Resorts opening up in the Asia-Pacific region, including in Fiji and a couple in Thailand (well *if* they open according to schedule - a big if I guess ). They might well prove decent options as well.

The IC Bali is great as well, though not a good option in regards to points redemptions (unless they have another PointBreaks offer - then it's worthwhile ^ ).
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:00 am

Question Help me Decide Honeymoon

I'm finally getting married next July and after a few conversions, my girlfriend has left me to decide where we should go for our Honeymoon.

Using a lot of the helpful info here, I've finally got myself down to 2 options.

If it helps the decision, I have Royal Ambassador Status

Option 1 - Asia

IC Hong Kong 4 nights paid (1 BOGO)

Harbour View - upgraded to Jnr Suite

IC Bali 9 Nights paid (1 BOGO)

Club Room - Upgraded to Duplex

Option 2 - French Polynesia

Using a combination of Points and Paid nights

IC tahiti 2 Nights ( start and end)

2 paid nights

IC Mo'orea 5 nights

3 nights Points
2 nights ( 1 BOGO)

IC Le Moana 5 nights

3 nights Points
2 nights ( 1 BOGO)

Now, my heart tells me FP will be fabulous, but with the combination of Points/paid I am concerned that we will potentially have to swap rooms mid stay and we would also forfeit RA benefits on those nights.

We would have no such issues in Asia as I would save the points and just pay. With the RA benefits and upgrades I'm sure my girlfriend/Wife will have a wonderful time.
We have however visited Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi and Borneo in the last couple of years and wonder if a change is in order?

The obvious response would be to say "just pay for Le Moana & Mo'orea" but the price difference may be too much what with wedding plans.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Substitute Le Moana for Thalasso spa and option 2 wins hands down.

Ive never been to FP but it is Number 1 on my "Places to visit" list!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:29 am

Substitute Le Moana for Thalasso spa and option 2 wins hands down.

Ive never been to FP but it is Number 1 on my "Places to visit" list!
Even on a combined points/cash stay?
I also liked the idea of walking to the other food places along from Le Moana and touring the island. Hmm, you've got me thinking again now.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Have not been to FP.

Short note in Bali. They will not upgrade you to a duplex on your honeymoon, but most likely at least to an Uluwatu, more likely Jimbaran suite, just tell them you're on honeymoon. Maybe this influences your decision...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, IC Diamond Amb, Hertz PC
French Polynesia! Try to arrive at Moorea (and Bora Bora) so that you can use your paid night/BOGO before your points nights. I doubt they would make you move and may perhaps let you keep your RA benefits. I've never been there on points, so I can't vouch for that. If possible I would suggest that you skip Papeete the first night and go straight to Moorea. It might be useful to send the GM at Moorea an email ahead of time also.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Have not been to FP.

Short note in Bali. They will not upgrade you to a duplex on your honeymoon, but most likely at least to an Uluwatu, more likely Jimbaran suite, just tell them you're on honeymoon. Maybe this influences your decision...
I was seriously considering Bali for my honeymoon, everything is great and considering i cannot justify the cost and logistics of getting there (Wife has a non-western world passport!) just as i am about to start married life.

The club system at Bali seems brilliant but its going to rain when im planning my honeymoon (feb 2010) and im not risking it. Bali is also on my list of places to go!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:06 am

for Tahiti .....
+ very nice hotels, try to get the overwater bungalows
+ landscape, setting extremely beautiful
- local transportation is expensive
- food is just below average or worse
- not much else to do, locals fairly unfriendly/desinterested
- Papeete is a dump with a shopping center for cruise ships

for Hong Kong
+ great city
+ great food
+ HK IC junior suite with harbor view is one of the best rooms (because of the view). Anywhere.

for Bali
+ nice people
+ ok food
o IC is too big, no overwater bungalow. But Club wing is good
+ Lots of local restaurants with good food

If you are the type who stays mainly inside the hotels and are ok with average food do the south pacific.
If you want to try different restaurants and don't just stay in the hotel then the HK/Bali experience is better.

And if you can get away from your IC addiction try some of the other South Pacific islands like Cook, Tonja, Fiji. I like them 100 times better than Tahiti (my personal opinion, so don't flame me....)
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, IC Diamond Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
And if you can get away from your IC addiction try some of the other South Pacific islands like Cook, Tonja, Fiji. I like them 100 times better than Tahiti (my personal opinion, so don't flame me....)
Ahhh, but there is now an IC on Fiji, so you could still use points! Also, Mauritius is on my list of new IC's to visit in the next few years
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
We are going to FP for our honeymoon in 6 weeks:

4 nights Le Moana

4 nights Thalasso

1 night Tahiti

All points, so I dunno if we're gonna get stuck in non-overwater bungalows. I hope they are nice to this RA.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
Here's a good thread about the FP ICHG properties

I went Aug 08, flew into PPT and connected immediately on Air Tahiti to MOZ, didn't spend any time in Tahiti. On departure, left BOB for PPT and connected to my flight out of PPT, no stay in Tahiti.

I concur about swapping Le Moana for Thalasso. There's a free boat shuttle that runs almost hourly between the two properties. Although Bora Bora can be somewhat boring boring, there's lots to do in Moorea. I really liked Moorea. Many of the activities are available in both Moorea and Bora Bora, you do can them for much cheaper in Moorea (compared to Bora Bora). As RA you should get at least 1 level upgrade, I was unsuccessful in getting >1 level upgrade in both Moorea and Thalasso.

BTW, you should now refer to her as your FIANCE rather than girlfriend... Your next transition will be calling her your WIFE instead of FIANCE...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

FP is a mixed bag.

IC Thalasso is a nice hotel, and RA treatment is great. A couple of months ago, we booked the cheapest room for a weekend (w/BOGO) plus 3 nights on points, and received a Diamond Otemanu OWB with full benefits for the entire stay. The place is very remote, everything is expensive, and the food is mediocre (esp. room service). Le Moana is more traditional (some may prefer that). Also note that RA treatment varies, and some RAs have not been given the free minibar on award nights, or been forced to pay for upgrades from the "family suites." See the last few pages of this thread for some recent reports.

The IC Moorea is not at all impressive. Most of the rooms are standard hotel rooms (meaning that you have to book a relatively expensive room to get a decent upgrade), the bungalows are tiny, and the OWBs aren't really over water. The nearby Hilton (former Sheraton) is vastly superior, and even if you have no Hilton status I'd pick that hotel over the IC Moorea (with RA benefits). The Hilton probably has the best snorkeling in FP, and the remodeled OWBs are great.

IC Tahiti is fine, considering that most people only use it for the first/last days in FP. They give a "5-level" upgrade to jr. suite OWB from the cheapest room, which is not too shabby for under $200/nt. I was really annoyed with their minibar policy, however. The minibar is normally empty, so you can stock your own stuff, and RAs get a few bottles of beer/coke.

HK is one of my favorite ICs, but it's hard to imagine honeymooning in HK. They're a bit touchy with RA benefits, but have treated me well on my past dozen or so stays (except for a last minute suite for jr. suite switcheroo on a BOGO stay). Make sure to request a xx16 jr. suite. They have surprised me a few times on recent stays with unexpected generosity, so you may even be able to score a suite if you tell them about the honeymoon.

Bali is always nice for a honeymoon, and as Chinatravel has pointed out above, you should be getting an above-average upgrade on a honeymoon stay (or pretty much any reason you can dream up). One more thing to consider, the IC HK and Bali provide benefits and accept BOGOs on the Friends&Family rate (I haven't inquired in FP); this can yield some very nice rates for suites. Also consider using free nights creatively.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.