ANA Intercontinental Tokyo (Master Thread)

Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Three night "corporate" rate stay. Not clear if I was upgraded or not, but the 2 Single Premium on the 19th floor with a view of the city exceeded expectations. The hotel is booked with the exception of suites. The breakfast buffet is complementary based on status. The TV includes three English channels, all of which are news channels. Yes the rooms are aged, but everything works. Best guess the renovated rooms have the "rain shower" so I wouldn't much care for the renovated rooms. AC works well and is quiet. The setup is good with a desk facing the window and the TV facing the desk. The two singles are good with one for sleeping and one for unpacking. The refrigerator is larger and quiet.

Off to Bic Camera to purchase an HDMI cable to sort out the TV situation. The TV is next to the desk with inputs enough. Other than the three news channels, the only channels with English are the music channels with the "boy bands" singing in a mix of English and Japanese...

It would appear renovations are in the works. The room is on the 19th floor and the power tools can be both heard and felt in the room. The worst of it starts around noon and lasts for a few hours. Notice attached.
Attached Images   

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Nov 21, 2023 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:38 pm

I was going to stay here a few weeks ago but a suite opened up at PH Tokyo so I jumped on that.

Something is going on at IHG, they are getting easier to use the CSU.
​​​​​​
Diamond Amb, I booked the classic room, proactively upgraded to the premium room a few days after booking. I saw a Jr Suite open up since my stay is a few days away, so called in to use the CSU and to my surprise it was applied and I see the upgrade online.

Hopefully the Jr. Suite is an updated room but I'm just glad to be able to get rid of these CSUs, it's kinda been hard to use them before they expire.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by moolman
I was going to stay here a few weeks ago but a suite opened up at PH Tokyo so I jumped on that.

Something is going on at IHG, they are getting easier to use the CSU.
​​​​​​
Diamond Amb, I booked the classic room, proactively upgraded to the premium room a few days after booking. I saw a Jr Suite open up since my stay is a few days away, so called in to use the CSU and to my surprise it was applied and I see the upgrade online.

Hopefully the Jr. Suite is an updated room but I'm just glad to be able to get rid of these CSUs, it's kinda been hard to use them before they expire.
IIRC, the Jr. Suite is the narrow room with the triangular bathroom or something along those lines. We didn't mind it and it worked just fine, but suggest you have a look at the IC ANA website under rooms and check it out. Use the IC ANA site, not the one from IHG site directly.

EDITED: Here you go, have a look at the floor plan to make sure you like it, some folks don't: https://anaintercontinental-tokyo.jp...junior-suites/

Last edited by demue; Nov 28, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:17 am

The Jr Suite is great. Sure, it's not the Park Suite we got 3 weeks ago at the PH but it has a separate living area which is all I really need since I travel with a child. I'm not sure what the difference between an upgraded room or not is but my room isn't new but it's not run down. The lounge here is great, especially since they don't complain if you try to take a drink out of the lounge. It's comparable to the lounge at IC Osaka but not as good as the IC Parnas or COEX which I stayed at last week.

​​​​​​Most places I stayed, the breakfast at the restaurant is better than the lounge. Here, I prefer the lounge breakfast by far. The restaurant breakfast here might be worse than some of the Crowne plazas that I stayed at around Japan.

I would definitely stay here again and I really like the location better than the one around PH, just more things to do in the area.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 8:57 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just booked an award here for peak cherry blossom season. Room is available if one guest is selected, not available if two are selected. Room is "1 Queen Classic Mid Floor, 28-30sqm," which shows a maximum occupancy of 2. I assume this is a glitch of some sort and there won't be any problems checking in with a total of 2 people?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Just booked an award here for peak cherry blossom season. Room is available if one guest is selected, not available if two are selected. Room is "1 Queen Classic Mid Floor, 28-30sqm," which shows a maximum occupancy of 2. I assume this is a glitch of some sort and there won't be any problems checking in with a total of 2 people?
I noticed that glitch too, technically if you are ambassador, it's double occupancy at single occupancy price. Either way, if you want to play it safe, just check in alone and have the other person come in after. It's a huge hotel, nobody will know. If you need lounge access just go and play dumb, it works. I travel with my child and people kept saying in Japan, they are so strict if you don't mention the child because many times there's a 2 person limit. I've stayed at a ton of hotels, nobody cared.
jpdx likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by moolman
I noticed that glitch too, technically if you are ambassador, it's double occupancy at single occupancy price. Either way, if you want to play it safe, just check in alone and have the other person come in after. It's a huge hotel, nobody will know. If you need lounge access just go and play dumb, it works. I travel with my child and people kept saying in Japan, they are so strict if you don't mention the child because many times there's a 2 person limit. I've stayed at a ton of hotels, nobody cared.
I thought of the double occupancy at single occupancy Ambassador benefit, as well, but afaik, you're supposed to book for two people, and then the FD reduces the rate to one. Interestingly, I found no language in the IHG T&Cs that award rooms are for 2 people (I've seen that at Hyatt). In any case, you're right that in practical terms, nobody at the hotel even has to know that there are two people staying in the room. And the milestone lounge benefit specifically does not require that the guest be registered to the room.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:19 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by jpdx
I doubt it's a glitch, chances are they're gaming award availability. I noticed the same too when I booked 2 nights during the cherry blossom season next year. Snagged a room at ~50k points per night which is a steal imo. Ambassador gets 2nd guest free so I just book for one and will probably email them about a second adult a few weeks before my arrival.
jpdx likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This used to be a thing at the IC Strings when all they released for award was the 1 Single Bed room which has 1 person occupancy only though they only had 4 of those or so.

There should be (used to be at least) language in IHG Rewards T&Cs that redemption room should be King or Two Twin / Double or such, but I can't recall the specifics now. Will need to dig. It's buried in the IC Strings thread in pre-covid times posts.
jpdx likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond

jpdx, demue, 336 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:30 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Are they no longer using Byredo products?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
Are they no longer using Byredo products?
Tsuki Suite is a "specialty" suite to my understanding and comes with better or shall we say different products. Which ones one likes better is a different story, YMMV.
jxd, Cthunder86 and PES_B1 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:48 am
jxd

Originally Posted by demue
Tsuki Suite is a "specialty" suite to my understanding and comes with better or shall we say different products. Which ones one likes better is a different story, YMMV.
IMO anything is better than the "made in China" Byredo products
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
IMO anything is better than the "made in China" Byredo products
Are there some made in China? All the ones we had this year at IC Bali Sanur and Jimbaran, even IC Amstel IIRC, IC Strings and IC Osaka were made in Malaysia.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:56 am
jxd

Originally Posted by demue
Are there some made in China? All the ones we had this year at IC Bali Sanur and Jimbaran, even IC Amstel IIRC, IC Strings and IC Osaka were made in Malaysia.
when I stayed at the IC Kaohsiung and Festival city Dubai they were made in China. I don't think the made in Malaysia one makes any difference though, they're just licensed by Sysco (or the likes of it) with a different formulation from the actual retail product but to be fair it's not just ICs doing this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.