IC Medellin Master Thread [merged]

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Staying here currently and will post a review in the Royal Amb. thread after checking out.
I came with fairly low expectations, but the hotel is better than expected.
Staff is very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk people who double as concierge. But sometimes you could just choke them when you see how inefficient they are.
Breakfast quality and selection is below average for an IC,
The Club has some food after 2 pm and an extensive menu you can order from (more or less the list of the appetizers from the restaurant). They call room service and around 25 min later your dishes show up. You could easily replace dinner.
Taxis are cheap, the hotel taxi charges 10.000 (a bit over 3 USD) to the restaurants, shopping malls etc, a regular taxi on the way back is between 7.000 and 10.000 - not really overpriced.
They have a security guard at the driveway, but usually just waves you thru.

And btw: Medellin is pretty nice and feels as safe as any other big city. After reading all the warnings about the city I was expecting something completely different.
Well just have to agree to disagree on taxi prices. Every time I took a hotel taxi it was 2x what the return in a metered taxi was coming back. Sounds like you were not going meaningful distances.
And maybe the inquisition I got from the security guard who didn't believe me when I said I had a reservation at the hotel was just me.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:24 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Any idea how good the club lounge is? how much would they charge at check in to use it? any good offers?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Would not pay a lot to be honest. The space is not really nice (apart from the huge terrace) and food is rather basic with average service. Breakfast selection is limited compared to restaurant selection.
Plus there are a lot of really nice cafes/bars/restaurants just a short walk (15-20min) or cab ride (5min) away.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well just have to agree to disagree on taxi prices. Every time I took a hotel taxi it was 2x what the return in a metered taxi was coming back. Sounds like you were not going meaningful distances.
And maybe the inquisition I got from the security guard who didn't believe me when I said I had a reservation at the hotel was just me.

I've stayed here over half a dozen times since I asked about the place in a post back in 2016. Hand on heart I've not had any problem getting Uber to pick me up or drop me off at the hotel: and got cheerfully waved through the checkpoint on the return trips. In fact I remember thinking a couple of times that some guests might feel more reassured if security was a little more assertive.

I reckon you perhaps chanced on a day there were VVIP guests in the hotel, or maybe the security man was just having a very bad day
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Any idea how good the club lounge is? how much would they charge at check in to use it? any good offers?
As RA access was part of the upgrade. We ate breakfast in the main restaurant (you can choose). As said the space is small and not very inviting. But you could order from a menu for happy hour and you could easily replace dinner. Check my review in the Royal Ambassador experience thread.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:25 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
How much would the upgrade cost for a regular ambassador?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Any ideas on the Superior vs. Deluxe room type and what the differences may be? Looks like the same price for both and was wondering if one is a higher room category or not...

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Any recent stays? Not too many great picks for Medellin... Novotel looks decent and this one looks more resort style
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Any recent stays? Not too many great picks for Medellin... Novotel looks decent and this one looks more resort style
It's one of my favourites, but i think maybe I have a quirky taste. The key thing to note is it's quite away from anywhere you might want to go, so uber has to be your friend. Again, not much around but there's an OK, somewhat over-priced, restaurant across the road.

The hotel's got a decent pool, rooms are dated. If you go the Club route, the lounge isn't at all glitzy - though they will serve you drinks and snacks on the large terrace attached to it.

If you want to be more centrally located, with shopping and entertainment spots within easy reach, but still under the IHG umbrella, the HIX is a comfortable answer.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:07 pm

this one looks more resort style
Definitely resort-style. On Av Circumbular.

But not really far with Uber. Also walking distance to Carulla and a few other restaurants, including Argentine grill. Limited walking elsewhere given on top of steep hill
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Definitely resort-style. On Av Circumbular.

But not really far with Uber. Also walking distance to Carulla and a few other restaurants, including Argentine grill. Limited walking elsewhere given on top of steep hill
Thank you... Thoughts on Location/Safety compared to the Novotel as someone from Medellin? I will be going to Guatape, and want to check out the cable cars. But besides that, I will probably want good dining options nearby walking distance or at hotel. I do not speak spanish lol.

Thanks again
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:55 pm

Thank you... Thoughts on Location/Safety compared to the Novotel as someone from Medellin? I will be going to Guatape, and want to check out the cable cars. But besides that, I will probably want good dining options nearby walking distance or at hotel. I do not speak spanish lol.

Thanks again
Do not know Novotel, but probably taxis either case. as mentioned before, IC has food options on resort as well as across & down the street.

Learn Spanish. Colombia ain't Mexico, and especially outside BOG
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again
They are totally different types/categories of property. The IC may not have the polish of some other ICs, but it's something of a grande dame hotel in Medellin and it has most of the bells and whistles you'd expect from a near-5 star hotel. A delightful pool, restaurants and a magnet for social functions. It's far enough from the city centre to have a resorty-vibe, but close enough to be easily accessible by taxi.

I've never stayed at the Novotel, but I know it. it's Accor mid-range attached to the Tesoro mall - so there are lots of food and retail outlets around. If you want international brands I'd go for the IC; but if you want to somewhere cheaper and closer to the "action" maybe the Hilton Garden Inn or the HIX. There are many other places strategically positioned around the Lleras entertainment area

As for transport, unless you are close to the metro, it's likely you are going to rely on walking or taxis/rides.

Metrocable offers you stupendous views and is your route to the Arvi park, where there's a craft market, food stalls and walking trails (if that's your thing). But check the park is open. Aim for Acevedo metro station to transfer to Metrocable - making another transfer between cable cars at an intermediate station (Santo Domingo). It's this second sector of the cable car trip that is the most spectacular in terms of views.

Apart from the usual caveats of behaving sensibly and being aware of your surroundings I wouldn't get too hung up on personal safety.

Anything involved with tourism will have English speakers handy. Outside those areas communication might not be so easy, though in general you can expect the younger generations to be more fluent in English. I get by in a mix of english, portuguese, bad spanish and the patience of the Paisas: they are, with few exceptions very welcoming people.
SKYEG and medellinfein like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
....but if you want to somewhere cheaper and closer to the "action" maybe the Hilton Garden Inn or the HIX.
I think you mean "Hampton by Hilton Medellin", since there is no HGI in MDE. Apart from that, I concur.

Also would add Four Points, which is also centrally located and has a solid breakfast spread included
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Yes, three nights recently. Chosen basically as I wasn't aware of anything better, and feel I know (or think I know) the Intercontinental brand. I had just stayed at the Four Seasons Bogot, which wasn't that much more expensive yet in another realm of hospitality. And based on experience at the Santo Domingo property, I know there is the possibility of a superb Intercontinental experience in Latin America.

So arrival (party of three, two rooms, cash - not a points stay) was at a crowded desk. Unfortunately no acknowledgement of any IHG/Intercontinental benefits, and my Spanish is not sufficient to artfully discuss hotel loyalty programs. The hotel has a significant amount of real estate, and it seemed like a design flaw to have this small and crowded check in area when there are literally swaths of open space.

Room 1 had no towels. No towels! Room 2 had visible dust bunnies and cleaning issues. Immediately raised these matters with housekeeping and kind apologies were given but nothing done. Called front desk with a little more gusto and towels were delivered to Room 1.

The property has a dated luxe feel with a pool and expansive grounds, and buffet breakfast is in an open lower level, including an outdoor area where exotic birds flew nearby. I felt very comfortable there, but obtaining coffee and water was challenging each day.

I did not visit the hotel restaurant, which looked nice.

Some older comments in this thread mentioned a property front gate. I did use Uber and did have to text the driver to please come to the hotel front door, not just the front gate. This was not at all an issue. Across the street (you will see it) is a popular and very reasonably priced Colombian restaurant which has very high service levels - I recommend a visit.

One other thing to consider about hotels in Medelln is that there are many one way winding roads - 1 mile away on a map could be a 3 mile drive.

Overall, I found this property disappointing. It has some charms, but probably has the worst soft product/maintenance of any IC I've seen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.