Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC San Francisco Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:40 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by gemini573
Can't complain about a junior suite. It's better than the "business room," at the IC MH. I don't think there's any hotel that's worst than the MH regarding upgrades.....wait, there is one. The IC GS in Hong Kong.
The rooms will be fabulous, no doubt (think IC Boston). The Club access is a bit steep, but we'll pay the extra $100 while using a BOGO.

First staying Martch 15. See y'all there.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Thanks fsa_ea. In response to a similar question from me I was told a couple of weeks ago that the usual upgrade for an RA would be to a junior suite and the only way to be upgraded to a room with club access was to already be booked in a club access room. So, I'm booked in a Club King and expect to end up with a Club junior suite.

For the dates I looked at, the different between a standard king and a club king generally seems to be $100 on best flexible rate and, not suprisingly, around $90 on advance purchase. So, if someone wanted club access it might be marginally cheaper to buy it for $80 on the day. I won't change my booking however as I intend to use a bogo for the second night and want club access for both.

Appreciate the follow-up info. I've booked a Club King for the end of next month using a BOGO. The rate is $309 but that also includes the 4K PC points bonus option. I think without the bonus it runs $289. So guess I will get one of those suites. The Club appears to be one offering round-the-clock catering like Boston, with a lunch offering as well as breakfast and hors d'oeuvres in the evening.

BTW I had also sent an email asking what a RA would get in the way of an upgrade and received an email back tonight giving me a boiler plate outline of the Ambassador program, its cost and benefits, but no answer to my question. Glad you got a better one.

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 26, 2008 at 5:34 pm
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by club22
Maybe I can start on thurs perhaps?
DELETED - Did not see earlier response to this question.

Last edited by upgrader; Feb 27, 2008 at 6:36 am Reason: Deletion
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Emailed original response back and received the following a few hours later:

Shareholder,

I thank you for your email and apologize for the confusion.

As a Royal Ambassador member, you will be entitled to an upgraded room type, based upon availability, at check-in. Currently, your reservation is for a beautiful King Club room. Being Royal Ambassador, you would then be entitled to a King Jr. Suite, based upon availability, at check-in. This room type would be a double upgrade from the King Club room. The King Jr. Suite is a lovely upgraded corner room with two walls of windows and a seating area that provides a view of the city and bay. You would also have access to the Club Lounge, which is located on the 6th floor of the hotel, along with the day spa, health club and indoor heated pool and sauna.

Should you have any questions or need assistance with your reservation, we can be reached at 1-800-465-4329

The staff members, here at the InterContinental San Francisco, are looking forward to your upcoming stay.

Sincerely,

So to get Club access one must book the minimal Club room. However, for a weekend stay with a BOGO, still works out to be a good deal and if you do it before the end of March, you get $50 back in the form of that Visa gift card...if you charge it to your Visa card.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
I don't really understand where they get this "based upon availability" business from.

The glossy brochure that I have got in my box every year says on the Relaxation Page:

"Guaranteed room upgrade. Enjoy the luxury of an Executive room or a suite every time you stay."

I also don't see what the double upgrade is. A King Club room prices out more expensive than the King Jnr Suite. They seem to be saying that a King Club is a regular room with the Club fee added on for your convenience...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If it were me there is no way I would stay at the Mark Hopkins v. the new IC. The location is inferior for downtown business or conventions (only excepting conferences at the MH or the nearby Fairmont). The standard rooms at the Mark will certainly be inferior, there is only so much lipstick that can be applied and the noise from the thin doors/hallways is not really fixable.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
If it were me there is no way I would stay at the Mark Hopkins v. the new IC. The location is inferior for downtown business or conventions (only excepting conferences at the MH or the nearby Fairmont). The standard rooms at the Mark will certainly be inferior, there is only so much lipstick that can be applied and the noise from the thin doors/hallways is not really fixable.

Depends on what you are looking for in the hotel. The MH is a classic, which is much different than the "steel and glass" design of the newer IC's. I don't mind the old surroundings as long as a hotel has character. Agree about the location though...

I, among others, have been a fierce critic of the MH posture on RA relations. However, I still enjoy the hotel and hope to stay there in the future. It will be interesting to see how the MH reacts now that the new IC is open. Also, I considered the club fee of $60 at the MH to be excessive for RA's. After hearing the $100 fee (which I definitely don't plan to pay) at the the new IC, perhaps my criticism was a bit harsh...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
I don't really understand where they get this "based upon availability" business from.

The glossy brochure that I have got in my box every year says on the Relaxation Page:

"Guaranteed room upgrade. Enjoy the luxury of an Executive room or a suite every time you stay."

I also don't see what the double upgrade is. A King Club room prices out more expensive than the King Jnr Suite. They seem to be saying that a King Club is a regular room with the Club fee added on for your convenience...
I have two emails from the hotel. One from a senior manager. That one says: "you will be upgraded automatically....." So I'll be taking that with me for my stay.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:10 am

Does anyone know if this hotel actually opened on time last week?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Well I don't know if it opened on time or not but if it is open it must be empty! I have been watching rates for the weekend of the 11-13th April and the rates have actually dropped!

Rates on a King Club IC room seem to have dropped $20 on all booking types such as Advance/Flex and Flex+4K points.

So it is $215+Tax for a King Club IC room. Coupled with a BOGOF voucher this is going to be a very nice cheap weekend!

And with rooms starting at $135+Tax for this weekend they must have a lot of rooms to fill?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by gemini573
Can't complain about a junior suite. It's better than the "business room," at the IC MH. I don't think there's any hotel that's worst than the MH regarding upgrades.....wait, there is one. The IC GS in Hong Kong.
The Grand Stanford in HKG is truly the WORST in the chain for rude staff and terrible upgrades.
I have noticed the Mark Hokins has been so much better the last 6 months... lol perhaps they are worried.... I stay 6 times a year a both the MH and GS and after 15 years of Stays at GS I'm giving the Sheraton a try...
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aerotec
Well I don't know if it opened on time or not but if it is open it must be empty! I have been watching rates for the weekend of the 11-13th April and the rates have actually dropped!

Rates on a King Club IC room seem to have dropped $20 on all booking types such as Advance/Flex and Flex+4K points.

So it is $215+Tax for a King Club IC room. Coupled with a BOGOF voucher this is going to be a very nice cheap weekend!

And with rooms starting at $135+Tax for this weekend they must have a lot of rooms to fill?

You can't really generalize from your single weekend. There's been no change for the weekend I will be there so like all properties, there is much variability depending upon what's going on in the city on a given weekend.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Shareholder
You can't really generalize from your single weekend. There's been no change for the weekend I will be there so like all properties, there is much variability depending upon what's going on in the city on a given weekend.
My weekend in May has also come down $20 per night on best flexible rates. And the same club room, at the advance purchase rate which I am now in a position to go for, is in the low $200's now. I am now questioning whether I can find a better use for my bogo somewhere else.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
I have also noticed the prices going down - at least for the Advance Purchase rates.

Booked a King Club IC for a night in August at Best Flexible of $ 329 about
a month ago. The Advance Purchase was $ 309.

Looked again yesterday and the Advance Puchase rate went down to
$ 263.20 - thats nearly $ 50 less! The Best Flexible stayed the same!

Of course I changed my booking at once to secure the cheaper price as we will definately stay there during our summer holiday.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:37 pm

Rumour has it that the rates have been slightly lowered to compensate for the hotel not yet being fully furnished --- the minibars have not yet been delivered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.