IC San Francisco Master Thread [merged]

Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Was down in this area yesterday. The district is now surrounded by a cluster of very high end, 5-star properties: 4 Seasons, Regency, W... It is the new high end hotel centre. I really don't expect much difference from the RA treatment at the Mark Hopkins since this will be a very pricey property wish limited upgrading potential given suites will likely be booked by paying high rollers, especially on weekends and during major conventions.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:55 pm

thank you for the update
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
IC San Francisco (not the Mark Hopkins)

The InterContinental San Francisco Hotel is now accepting reservations for arrivals after February 1, 2008.

Just booked my first stay there! Hope this one will be better than the MH.

Towering 32 stories high, the 550 room InterContinental San Francisco Hotel features 43,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, destination restaurant and companion bar, 10-room treatment spa, health club and indoor swimming pool.

Conveniently located adjacent to San Francisco’s magnificent Moscone Convention Center, and within a short, scenic stroll of the city’s financial, entertainment and premium shopping districts, the new InterContinental San Francisco will offer guests as many reasons to stay inside its cool-blue exterior as it will to venture outside. The bedding will be plush and the working areas large. And, of course, the views - of San Francisco’s famous skyline, Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge and South Bay.

Club InterContinental guests will enjoy even more indulgence, with high-speed Wi-Fi Internet access, Continental breakfast, daily refreshments and specialty cocktails - all with our compliments. The new InterContinental San Francisco hotel will continue in the 60-year culinary tradition of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts. Offering contemporary California cuisine, the all-day, street-level restaurant will feature a bar, show kitchen, fireplace and outdoor terrace seating, while capturing the color and vibrancy of South of Market.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Is this a new build or a refurbishment/rebanding?

It will be interesting to hear more about their upgrade policies for A and RA.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Isn't it funny, that the website already states:

Hotel Accolades

Quality: Excellent

These hotels have received our highest level of guest endorsement, based on scores from our guest satisfaction surveys. Guests evaluate hotels based on the quality of the product, return value and quality of service experienced during their stay.
I guess, highest level is the start value for that "guest endoresement score value" and it can only get worse
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by demiurg
Isn't it funny, that the website already states:

I guess, highest level is the start value for that "guest endoresement score value" and it can only get worse
Nice to start at the top. I always wondered just how accurate those guest survey results really are.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:06 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Club_IC
Is this a new build or a refurbishment/rebanding?
Brand new construction! Reminds me of IC Boston, with lots of glass. Should be nice.

I was looking to book a room for Valentine's Day, and the rates appeared quite reasonable, until I noticed this:

TAX: 14% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 14 FEBRUARY, 2008 THRU 15 FEBRUARY, 2008
SERVICE CHARGE: 20% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 14 FEBRUARY, 2008 THRU 15 FEBRUARY, 2008
EXCLUDES GRATUITY

Wow! I suspect they will be receiving lots of complaints on this one. I've never seen a US hotel that added such charges.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Brand new construction! Reminds me of IC Boston, with lots of glass. Should be nice.
Call me a fuddy duddy, or a romanticist, but I far prefer old properties with history and character than new, tall, lots of glass, cookie cutter properties that are indistinguishable from one another, and have zero soul or character. IC Willard or IC Boston? Give me the Willard any day.

I was looking to book a room for Valentine's Day, and the rates appeared quite reasonable, until I noticed this:

TAX: 14% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 14 FEBRUARY, 2008 THRU 15 FEBRUARY, 2008
SERVICE CHARGE: 20% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 14 FEBRUARY, 2008 THRU 15 FEBRUARY, 2008
EXCLUDES GRATUITY

Wow! I suspect they will be receiving lots of complaints on this one. I've never seen a US hotel that added such charges.
The gratuity is ridiculous. I wonder if this is just on Valentine's Day or always. Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is the 14% per night in taxes. Of course, there are some cities that are even worse, you just can't keep greedy politicians' hands out of the pockets of unsuspecting visitors ... after all, most of the visitors don't vote locally ... a convenient source of cash for the pork barrel trough, of course, but I recall some concerns in the early 1770s about "taxation without representation" that led to some major political changes ...
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:33 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
The gratuity is ridiculous. I wonder if this is just on Valentine's Day or always. Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is the 14% per night in taxes. Of course, there are some cities that are even worse,

20% is every day.

14% tax is very average.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
SERVICE CHARGE: 20% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE
So that means you're not expected to tip the concierge or doorman?

Somehow I suspect it doesn't mean that if you want to get out alive. I'd actually be quite interested to know what people think it's for, apart from the obvious of another way to rip more out of you while keeping the base rate lower, a practice many airlines have mastered. Is it unique in non-inclusive US hotels?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:40 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
I won't be
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Oh well, looks like its the MH for the forseeable future. Other than the well documented RA issues, I'd rather stay there any day. I wonder if that 20% is a surcharge for the Convention Center location?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:08 pm

Programs: ICH plat RA,HH Dia
Originally Posted by turtlemichael

Somehow I suspect it doesn't mean that if you want to get out alive. I'd actually be quite interested to know what people think it's for, apart from the obvious of another way to rip more out of you while keeping the base rate lower, a practice many airlines have mastered. Is it unique in non-inclusive US hotels?
perhaps similar to european practice where gratuities are included but somehow it has become custom to tip on top?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:20 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I hope RA upgrades to "executive room or suite" will not be to this room type...

1 KING BED EXECUTIVE
400 SQ FT CORNER ROOMS WITH CITY AND BAY VIEWS HIGH SPEED WIRED AND WIFI INTERNET DIGITAL TV WITH HBO VIDEO GAMES 2 WALLS OF FLR TO CEILING WINDOWS 2 PHONE LINES DATAPORT VOICEMAIL SAFE MOVIES IPOD DOCKING STN CLOCK RADIO MINIBAR INDIVIDUAL CLIMATE CTRL BATHROBES COFFEE STN IRON AND BOARD
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bello
perhaps similar to european practice where gratuities are included but somehow it has become custom to tip on top?
Not true. You should never add an extra tip if a restaurant has added in a service charge. Zagat / Hardens are always very scathing about restaurants that add 12.5% (the London norm) then leave an empty box for gratuity on the receipt, normally to trick unsuspecting foreign visitors who don't know better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.