surcharge for second Person[merged]

Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
surcharge for second Person[merged]

What nonsense is this?

€35 extra for a second person on top of a €60 room charge (HI Nuremburg) is unjustifiable, a surcharge of over 58%. And breakfast isn't even included.

Perhaps it doesn't apply to elites? Well, I'm logged in and that's what the system shows.

I'm steering clear of the Holiday Inn and will look elsewhere.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Yes, I encountered the same for the HI GC in Helsinki back in June. In my case, the fully flexible rate did not have the 2nd person surcharge and therefore, the flexible rate was cheaper in total than the advance booking rate. Might be worth a try.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Contact the hotel, my experience is that they won't charge for Priority club members. But you better get that in writing before you book
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I've run into hotels in other chains that also attempt to pull this 2nd person surcharge stunt as well, usually causing me to drop the offending property from consideration.

I first ran into this when making a reservation at the HI Guam, and as a result elected to stay at the Hilton. Now a moot point as the hotel has since changed management and is now the Holiday Resort Guam.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ PPS - M&M SEN - QR Platinum - ITA Executive - IC Diamond Ambassador
Same here when looking at rates at the IC Cologne... 25 per extra adult isn't that much, however, according to me it is just an extra sneaky way to be able to advertise with lower prices than you really have to pay...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll contact the hotel direct. If we can get around this, no problem. Otherwise, we'll stay elsewhere.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given when booking packages there's always a Single Supplement charge for hotels, it is somewhat bizarre to be asked to pay a supplement for an additional person. But this has been a common practice in Europe and other parts of the world (beyond NAmerica). It may also relate to the fact that in Europe hotels pay better wages than in most other parts of the world, and it does take longer to clean up a room occupied by two people (or more) than one...and require additional resources for bedding etc. So there is definitely a greater cost to servicing two people over one, ergo a rationale for the charge. It also assumes these days most business travelers are traveling alone, thus the discounting is done at this level. Additional occupants add more charges. (Or if companies are doubling up, they still must pay for the second person sharing.)
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:01 pm

i thought it was an AMB benefit to have no extra charge for the 2nd person. I know i've read this somewhere.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:55 pm
Alf

Programs: Lufthansa HON Circle, IC Royal Ambassador, American Express Centurion, Mastercard World Signia
Absolutely right, Ambassadors and Royal Ambassadors get double occupancy for the price of single occupancy.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It may also relate to the fact that in Europe hotels pay better wages than in most other parts of the world, and it does take longer to clean up a room occupied by two people (or more) than one...and require additional resources for bedding etc. So there is definitely a greater cost to servicing two people over one, ergo a rationale for the charge. It also assumes these days most business travelers are traveling alone, thus the discounting is done at this level. Additional occupants add more charges. (Or if companies are doubling up, they still must pay for the second person sharing.)
So when only 1 person stays in a king room, they change only half the sheets, clean half the toilet, bathroom etc. You know that that is not true, right? In fact, when I stay with my wife, the room will be much more tidy then when I'm alone on the road
Morecost of wages? For 35 euro p.p.p.n I will come and clean your hotelroom anytime
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Do they kiss you after they're finished screwing you?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
This is total B.S. I would never consider staying at a hotel that charged a supplement for a 2nd person (unless of course I had absolutely, positively no other less expensive choice).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
2 for 1 surcharge [merged]

Tried to book upcoming trip to Germany in some HI's and CP's
and found these additional charges on my 2:1 rate page

Extra Person Charge: 32.0 EUR per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult
Extra Person Charge: 20.0 EUR per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult
Extra Person Charge: 21.0 EUR per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult
(price depends on the hotel you choose)

Since then they are implemented these?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Your location is not listed by I venture to guess that like myself, you are an American.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
sigh

I wish I could be...
(why you think so, btw?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.