Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The IC Hotel Group Meeting Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SebFra
Maybe it would be nice if all would use the diary function on checkmystay.com?

I will send them an email and ask if they can set up a "Flyertalk group"!

I use it, and find it quite handy. You can create a signature for your posts, like ba97 does for flights, you can enter your upgrades etc. and you can search for hotel stays of other users and see, which upgrades a certain status provided in the past.

And you can also check the evaluation of the hotels as well.

So all information is put together. Look at my signature for example, it works nicely.
Seems to be a "beta mode" and from time to time new features are added.
There is a list of countries and cities of the countries are pre-entered.
Also not that bad to have the picture of all your pre-visited countries!

The design could be a little bit nicer, but I like the functions at least^!

Does anyone else from Flyertalk use it?

SebFra
Not bad..but I think that having to log onto a external 3rd party site will IMO discourage people to participate.

However if it was something within this IHG forum then I see it being utilised much more.

Ideally it would be like this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calendar.php?c=1

Now if that then could be a sticky then I'm certain loads of people will use it. Especially handy for us lonely FT'ers sitting in a some club lounge somewhere in the world!

Be good to hear from a MOD and see if this is possible???
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:08 pm
Used to be planetrain

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by Goonerfish
Would be great if this could be made sticky! Would be used a lot more I'm sure.
I agree! I had no idea this calendar existed, it doesn't appear as many people have been updating it as of late. I think it'd be great to be able to meet up with some other FT'ers while on the road for business by myself!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:33 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Isn’t this what the Community Buzz forum is for? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

And if reading through the various posts on Community Buzz is too much for someone, you might like the Consolidated Do thread which lists all Do’s (Do’s are an activity, dinner, drink meetings where Flyertalkers get together, Do’s usually only consist of a single event but some can be multi day) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...st-thread.html

I don't understand the hotel specific forum unless one really wants to only meet other IHG Flyertalkers. Seems you are missing quite a number of other Flyertalkers.
-
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Isn’t this what the Community Buzz forum is for? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

And if reading through the various posts on Community Buzz is too much for someone, you might like the Consolidated Do thread which lists all Do’s (Do’s are an activity, dinner, drink meetings where Flyertalkers get together, Do’s usually only consist of a single event but some can be multi day) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...st-thread.html

I don't understand the hotel specific forum unless one really wants to only meet other IHG Flyertalkers. Seems you are missing quite a number of other Flyertalkers.
-
I think it would just be nice and much easier for all if there was a quick, no fuss way of inputting to and reading from a calendar, rather than as you say, trawling through potentially 100's of different posts....and then that thread will invariably become lost and forgotten about, as what has seemed to have happened to the "IHG Meeting thread"..its not a sticky so gets buried against all the other posts! Having a calendar stuck in one place (this forum) will see it being used a lot more than some thread in the Community Buzz (which people will either forget about or have no idea of its existence)

Also, IMO a lot of people on FT stick to their relevant forums and don't necessarily browse other forums...someone that stays almost entirely at IHG's will not necessarily be interested in what Sheraton or Hyatt someone is staying at. So, the best way, for example, was if in each hotel forum there was a calendar which was a sticky, it would mean people have the option of inputting and browsing each individual hotel chains calendar, therefore having full scope to meet other non IHG flyertalkers staying at non IHG properties. (Much simpler, easier and more targeted than having just 1 calendar with stays for every chain and group in it)

For those reasons mentioned above, I also see the Consolidated Do thread as unsuitable for this purpose. Anyway, a "Do" generally refers to a much larger gathering than 2 people meeting for a lot longer than potentially a few drinks. 2 people sitting in a club lounge having a drink together for an hour or so is definitely not a "Do"!

Last edited by Goonerfish; Jan 11, 2011 at 1:47 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:21 am

Also, IMO a lot of people on FT stick to their relevant forums and don't necessarily browse other forums...
I can imagine that a few, fewFlyertalkers will actually meet for a drink, I don't imagine that all of a sudden someone who wasn't socially active with Flyertalk will now become so.
2 people sitting in a club lounge having a drink together for an hour or so is definitely not a "Do"!
according to you, some would disagree.

BTW, I'm all for more Flyertalkers meeting face to face, I post a number of Do' to the CB forum annually, sometimes it is 10+ people meeting for dinner, sometimes only one or even no one confirms. Just the nature of the Do.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:01 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

In the past, Radioman set up a http://my.calendars.net/, which is still linked in the thread mentioned by TheBeerHunter in the second post of this thread. However, this link is dead.

In the time this calendard was alive, there were a few but not man post.

We can set up something like I do over in the Hilton forum, HHoppe1 in the Marriott Forum and some other flyertalkers in other hotel forums. We cannot set up a group calendar in this forum.

And a meeting thread will not become a sticky, since we have had discussion in the past about too many stickies. If this thread is really active, than it should be on the first or second page all the time, if not, well, one has to ask, if there is a demand for such a thread. It might be worth a try ...

And btw, from the Hilton forum, I know there are a huge number of flyertalkers who will not (never) post their stays in the public.

Just my two cents, as moderators we are of course open for suggestions and will try to help as much as possible.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I don't imagine that all of a sudden someone who wasn't socially active with Flyertalk will now become so
I don't see it necessarily being the case that people aren't prepared to be socially active...just that they perhaps have not had any opportunity. (eg: No calendar) But of course it all boils down to what you consider being socially active is...If you are referring to some organised "do" or function where people have to make a commitment to be at a certain place at a certain time then I can understand FT'ers not generally being socially active, as the commitment is often hard to make. However, if some FT'ers were for example away on business anyway and happened to be at the same hotel at the same time (Not uncommon) with time to kill, then this is a completely different story. Surely most FT'ers under those circumstances would much more prefer to have a drink with a fellow FT'er than to sit drinking alone??

And a "do", not according to me, but as defined by the English Dictionary is described as "a formal or festive social gathering; party." Again, I certainly wouldn't call 2 guys sitting having a beer in a club lounge as either a festive social gathering nor a party! It is what it is...a drink and a chat, yes....a "do", no.

Don't think I'm trying to be picky on definitions as I'm not ...I'm just underlying the point why your suggestion of using the Combined Do thread for this particular purpose is not practical. Partially of course as what I am suggesting is nothing to do with a "do".
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:25 am

Surely most FT'ers under those circumstances would much more prefer to have a drink with a fellow FT'er than to sit drinking alone??
a social person might think so, I know I do. However I do know plenty of other folks that want nothing to do with anyone when they get back to the hotel as it is their down time.

Per FLYGVA's post, I am one that will not post publicly my hotel stays or airline flights in a set calendar forum where it would be easy for someone to determine who I am, clearly there are others.

Seems like you have the passion, perhaps you can personally host and manage a calendar for IHG folks@:-)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Just know we had somekind of calendar.

IC Bali : 19-28 Feb
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:25 am

If all interested people would use the checkmystay function, it would be a good solution in my opinion!
On "Full Diary" you can select "Intercontinental" and you will just see IC only.
You can directly see which user is in which hotel, and you can contact each other....

I send them a mail and they told me that they will also implement a "Social event" diary, so you can see, who e.g. would be willing to go to a bar together...

And they explained that they are just building a function to have "groups". So we can open a Flyertalk or Flyertalk-IC group and see on our first page all stays of other Flyertalker-IC-people.

Seems that it is a student building the site so we can ask for new functions.

Why not try this out?

Goonerfish, maybe you can also sign up and we try to follow this and build up a good connection to Flyertalk?

As we can use the signature here, we will have a direct link, and everyone will see, so no need for a further sticky here.

And, you can mark each stay as "non public" if you want to have more privacy.

I like the fact that I can select Intercontinental and the city and immidiately see, which kind of upgrade someone received and the rating, instead of going through hundreds of posts... I think it will fit good together maybe!

Regards
SebFra
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
+1, calander would be awesome.

staying at HI Silom BKK from now on for about six weeks. just let me know (PM) if somebody are around
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
IC Berlin Jan. 15-17
IC Park Lane London Feb. 19-21 [London DO]

Cheers -
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 pm

Nobody is doing this any more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.