FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/550520-intercontinental-san-francisco-mark-hopkins-master-thread-after-january-01-2008-a.html)

PremExecSNA Apr 1, 2008 10:27 pm

InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008

I stayed at the new IC San Francisco last weekend. Had a great time, but looked up the hill at the MH with a great sense of nostalgia. (Then again, some of our favorite staff from the MH have migrated to the ICSF).

Just wondering, has anyone stayed at the MH recently? It would be interesting to know how they are treating RA's these days. One of the past complaints from management there was the high number of RA's staying at the property and the "inability" to give the appropriate upgrades. Since the new property has diluted the RA population, are they treating us any better?

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ve-thread.html

Thank you
FLYGVA

Explore May 20, 2008 11:54 pm

Bump.....

Is MH club access still typically $30 on any paid rate?

Also, do Exec Rooms (former Studio Suites) frequently have a good view, or do you need to go for the smaller business rooms if you want a view?

Thanks.

777 global mile hound May 22, 2008 3:43 pm

My two cents

I can say I will probably never be back to the Mark Hopkins IC again
Simply because of what one GM did regarding the original upgrade procedure change which prompted this OPs original thread.

My recent stay at the new IC SF made the one I took at the Mark Hopkins look like a complete waste of time and money.And quite frankly it was fully satisfactory at the MH.The problem is they are not just competing with the new IC but the Starwood Hotels and Hyatt where I am also elite among other hotel brands.And all of them offer me more except for the mini bar
That by itself is not enough of a single draw for me though it is a superb RA benefit^

Because the MH offer no complimentary lounge access their only hope is to seduce me with a great upgrade.Sorry to say it is just nice enough but no wow factor.A very nice large room

There is simply no reason to return unless one likes antiques and old buildings
And thats fine if you do.The folks I ran into while professional had old world attitude and the location while historic and significant not a place I want to be.It's on the bottom of my list.
My older family members enjoyed it but they like the old world :) T
he downgrade situation was a big mistake IMO :td:

The Mileage Millionaire May 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 9755680)
Bump.....

Is MH club access still typically $30 on any paid rate?

Also, do Exec Rooms (former Studio Suites) frequently have a good view, or do you need to go for the smaller business rooms if you want a view?

Thanks.

It has been $60/night (for up to 2 adults per room) for about 2 years. It is well worth the money for two people if you like to drink. For one person, it's pretty steep IMHO.

Explore May 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 9765664)
It has been $60/night (for up to 2 adults per room) for about 2 years. It is well worth the money for two people if you like to drink. For one person, it's pretty steep IMHO.

How is the food spread? Also, where is the location...any view (I'm assuming we're not talking about the Top of the Mark.....)

gleff May 23, 2008 4:32 am

view? lounge is on the ground floor off the reception area

lucky9876coins May 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Anyone know their standard upgrade from a business room?

PremExecSNA May 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 9770395)
Anyone know their standard upgrade from a business room?

The former Studio Suite has been renamed "Executive Room" to minimally comply with the T and C of the Ambassador program. This is the room normally offered to RA's. Depending on the rate paid, you might see a further upgrade to a Junior Suite or regular suite.

turtlemichael May 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA (Post 9771342)
The former Studio Suite has been renamed "Executive Room" to minimally comply with the T and C of the Ambassador program. This is the room normally offered to RA's. Depending on the rate paid, you might see a further upgrade to a Junior Suite or regular suite.

All up, as an RA does this mean if I book the cheapest standard king room, they'll upgrade me at minimum to an Executive Room and I can request and get at check-in, club access for an extra $60.00 per night?

If I book a Club King, would I still most likely end up with an Executive Room but with Club access?

I'm thinking that standard King plus $60.00 is a lot cheaper than King Club with the same likely outcome.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

holtju2 May 24, 2008 2:03 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael (Post 9771649)
If I book a Club King, would I still most likely end up with an Executive Room but with Club access?

Why would you throw money at this POS?

turtlemichael May 24, 2008 3:11 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 9772084)

Of course I wouldn't if the likely outcome was the same. That's the reason for my question.

Explore May 24, 2008 10:21 pm

So, booking the cheapest govt. rate and preferring a good view room to an elevator shaft suite, might I score a high floor E- or N-facing standard/exec. room as RA?

TravelGuy1965 May 25, 2008 1:02 am

Exactly....

I've stayed at the new IC in SF twice in the last month and both times was upgraded to a nice junior suite on a high floor with a good view and have been given access to the lounge and free internet (they charge but will waive it from your bill if you ask).

There were some $130 rates that I managed to reserve too. I don't recall but it was a Hot Wire Rate that I think is no longer reservable.

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 9772084)

turtlemichael May 25, 2008 1:45 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965 (Post 9774910)
Exactly....

I've stayed at the new IC in SF twice in the last month and both times was upgraded to a nice junior suite on a high floor with a good view and have been given access to the lounge and free internet (they charge but will waive it from your bill if you ask).

There were some $130 rates that I managed to reserve too. I don't recall but it was a Hot Wire Rate that I think is no longer reservable.

So have I stayed at the IC SF twice in the last couple of weeks and been treated well and enjoyed it. However, the dates I want again later in the year are currently showing as no availability. Hence my desire to find the best option at MH.

The Mileage Millionaire May 28, 2008 8:31 am

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 6372169)
I suspect that ICHG wants to sell part or all of this property when the new IC opens in South of Market in SF in 2008.

This is total speculation on my part, but ICHG has recently sold off other high-value properties, and a portion of the SF Fairmont, accross the street from the Mark Hopkins, is being converted to condos. Maybe those now-empty Terrace Suites can generate some real revenue after all (free mini-bar not included with condo purchase)?

As predicted, the Mark Hopkins is up for sale.

S.F.'s historic Mark Hopkins hotel up for sale
Sellers said to seek $160M

San Francisco Business Times - by Sarah Duxbury

Turns out, you can sell an icon.

The InterContinental Mark Hopkins is being quietly marketed, and insiders are watching to see what price it fetches.

Curtis Davies, a hotel consultant, believes the property could go for between $133 million and $152 million (that's $350,000 to $400,000 per room), while other industry sources say that the owners hope to sell for $160 million or more.

Perched atop Nob Hill with a world-famous name, address and view, the 380-room hotel was built in 1926 and has not been available to investors in over four decades. It is jointly owned by the Lurie family, SFH Associates and InterContinental Hotels Group.