FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   London HI/CP recommendations requested. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/417491-london-hi-cp-recommendations-requested.html)

allen074 Apr 2, 2005 12:45 pm

London HI/CP recommendations requested.

Hi - anyone have any recommendations for a HI or CP in london? I need 3 nights in early july.

Something around $150-200 a night would be good...

Thanks,
Allen

NorthOrSouth Apr 2, 2005 2:05 pm

Try the HI Regents Park. Staff are very helpful and it's in a good location. The immediately surrounding streets are quiet but close by are plenty of restaurants. Also it's handy for Great Portland Street and Regents Park tubes. Marylebone High Street and even Oxford Street are walkable.

allen074 Apr 2, 2005 3:50 pm

any thoughts on this location?
Express By Holiday Inn LONDON CITY

seems to have good reviews and good rate

thanks

ceegee469 Apr 3, 2005 4:34 am

It depends why you need to be there. The City is the financial district -- no good for shops/theatre, and dead at night. I normally use the IC, but that would be way over your budget. Last summer I used the Regents Park HI for 4 days and, even though it isn't anywhere near Regents Park(!) it is a good base and had excellent staff. The CP St James often has very good rates too, and is well placed for tubes etc.

allen074 Apr 3, 2005 9:16 am

THanks for the info -- the CP stj - is $250 a night... the regents park is $200 a night (and is down the street from the hilton euston where i am staying at the begin of the trip)... what about the Kensington (not the forum) its also $200 a night...

Maybe i should just go back to priceline - i got the hilton london euston for $105 - they claim its a 4*

thank you!

Raffles Apr 3, 2005 9:43 am

The CP at Blackfriars (poss called CP City) is brand new and a lovely office conversion with a very well regarded restaurant. Weekend rates are low because its in the City, but St Pauls is 5 mins walk, Tate Modern is 10 mins walk and Blackfriars tube is outside the front door. Certainly worth a look (I work round the corner!).

The best bargain in central London is the Travel Inn (or Travelodge) in County Hall, next to the Eye. (£70/nt) There is an expensive Marriott next door if you want somewhere decent to eat. It always runs at c 100% occupancy but you might get in if you book early enough. I've also seen some excellent Priceline deals recently, so this continues to be worth a go.

allen074 Apr 3, 2005 1:37 pm

Thanks, the rooms at the CP City are $350 a night - amazing how much more expensive london is than berlin, amsterdam or paris.

I tried a 5* in mayfair/soho on priceline and got nothing even upping the bid to $140 - i guess i will try a 4* bid

sad because i really wanted the nights on the HI card but the priceline price is way better.

here are the rates at the HI's in london -- any thoughts?
hi regents park - $190
hi bloomsbury - $190
hi oxford circus - $210
hi kensington - $200
hi kensforum - $185
hi kings cross/bloomy - $210
hi express southwark - $240
hi express london swiss cottage $170 (sure looks brand new) - hows the location?

looks like $200 avg - priceline got me hilton euston for $108 for the first part of my stay...

ceegee469 Apr 3, 2005 3:25 pm

At the present £/$ exchange rate the rates don't look too bad, Swiss Cottage is a fair way out, and Southwark is south of the River ... bandit country! I would still go for Regents Park. Remember you will be paying in Sterling, why not look at the £ prices?

allen074 Apr 3, 2005 3:51 pm

oh i just converted it to make it easier to discuss here :) - i guess i should not have done that - sorry!

since i am staying right basically there at the euston - what about something in a different area - say mayfair/soho or kensington? are these ok?

i look to your advice since you are already in the UK :) now if you could get me to meet Rachel Stevens I would owe you a pint LOL

ceegee469 Apr 3, 2005 4:45 pm

mayfair is fine ... avoid soho (for hotels, it has other "attractions"), kensington is OK, it is museum country, Who or what is a Rachel Stevens??

Jenbel Apr 3, 2005 5:16 pm

Out of your list, and the ones I know, i agree, Regents Park is the best bet - it's one of my favourites out of the HI properties (although I love CP StJ best of all) I've stayed at in London. Oxford circus is disappointing, old rooms, no air con.

I've only Pricelined Mayfair once, and got the Hilton on Aldwych (Astoria?) - but that was out of season, and not long after the refurbishment had gone through. However, this area is pretty handy for the Covent garden area, so it can be good for staying in.

Rachel Stevens - former S-Club (7) singer? general poppy blonde person ;)

ahhhh - early July. Bet you are into Wimbledon - that'll be why the St James so bad. I've seen the Wimbledon courtesy vehicles dropping off there. It's quite a bad fortnight to try and get cheap hotels - major sporting event combined with start of holiday season.... good luck!

allen074 Apr 3, 2005 5:23 pm

yea on Rachel - you know anyone who knows anyone who knows her? :)

I am actually coming on 6/20 and staying at the Hilton Euston for the first 5 nights (so thats why i wanted somewhere else for the end of the stay) -- btw must have air con...

I am going to try to go to Wimbledon on 6/22 I think...

I am so excited but the trip is still over 2 months away! I am staying in the IC Le Grand in Paris, the IC Amstel in Amsterdam, and the Swissotel in Berlin so far...

Thanks for the help.

-- Allen

Raffles Apr 4, 2005 2:13 am

The Holiday Inn Express in Limehouse (called HIX Docklands, I think) is £69 per night usually. Brand new, but a shockingly bad spot overlooking the main road between central London and Canary Wharf. However, its only 2 minutes walk to Limehouse DLR station.

But there are 1000 more convenient places to stay. Try the Premier Travel Inn in Southwark. This is built onto the back of the Anchor pub (as featured in Mission Impossible!) and is about 2 years old. Within 5 mins walk of Tate Modern, Vinopolis and the Globe. 10-15 mins walk to Tower Bridge. 10 mins to St Pauls. 20 mins walk to the Eye. Southwark tube about 7-8 mins walk. Should be about £69 per night.

allen074 Apr 4, 2005 3:30 am

Thanks TJB but I really want to stay in a HI family property so I can rack up the points :)

The Regents Park HI says "air con in some rooms" -- hmm how can I guarantee I get air con?

Thanks!

Jenbel Apr 4, 2005 9:01 am

I've never not had air con when i stayed there - mine was always a low floor -
ask to be close to ground because of fear of heights ;)

Could you include it as a request when booking.. then if you don't, it gives you an excuse to go back to the desk to ask for new room.