Point valuation Master Thread [merged]

Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Point valuation Master Thread [merged]

I have been staying at a holiday inn express for a while and have accumulated some points. I have never redeemed points with IC so I would like to know what you consider to be a good value for a IC point. Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:04 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by flyertalknewbie
I have been staying at a holiday inn express for a while and have accumulated some points. I have never redeemed points with IC so I would like to know what you consider to be a good value for a IC point. Thanks
I started a thread on this a long time ago....but here it is in a nutshell.....

4 PC points = 1 Frequent Flier Point (FFP).

1 FFP is equal to $0.02.

0.02/4 = 0.005, means 1 PC point = 1/2 a penny.

Hope this helps.

Ric
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Would it not be more appropriate to value PC points by what they yield in terms of redemption? And unlike most airline programs, and other hotel programs, PC reward rooms are not generally capacity controlled. If there is a standard [or deluxe?] category room open, it's ours.

So given 15000 PC points will get you a room at an HI or HIX, it is likely worth between US$75 to US$150 a night. At half a cent per point, you'd value it at US$75. 30000 PC points will get you a room at an IC worth anywhere from US$150 to US$500 per night.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 6:46 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Would it not be more appropriate to value PC points by what they yield in terms of redemption? And unlike most airline programs, and other hotel programs, PC reward rooms are not generally capacity controlled. If there is a standard [or deluxe?] category room open, it's ours.

So given 15000 PC points will get you a room at an HI or HIX, it is likely worth between US$75 to US$150 a night. At half a cent per point, you'd value it at US$75. 30000 PC points will get you a room at an IC worth anywhere from US$150 to US$500 per night.

Using a value of what PC points redeem is a good idea, I used skymiles on the basis that PC rewards can be converted to skymiles

I do agree with the valuation you use based on room rates/values.

Ric
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:07 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

When deciding whether to use PC points or pay with money, I usually draw the line at .75 cent per point. Sometimes one can get lucky and get a US$200 room at 15K: which = 1.33 cents. Or a HIEx priced over $100 in a high-demand area for 10K.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by RCC
I started a thread on this a long time ago....but here it is in a nutshell.....

4 PC points = 1 Frequent Flier Point (FFP).

1 FFP is equal to $0.02.

0.02/4 = 0.005, means 1 PC point = 1/2 a penny.
Except with AA:

2.7 PC points = 1 AAdvantage mile FFP (when you convert 67k or more PC points at a time).

As to how FFP is worth, that depends a lot on how you use them. I use mine exclusive to upgrade to business class on international flights. I'm sure that's worth much more than $0.02, but exactly what is hard to say, as I couldn't afford to buy outright every seat I upgrade to, and yet as a tall person I can't sleep in economy on packed flights, so upgrading to seat I can sleep in on an overnight transoceanic flight is worth a lot to me.

Meanwhile, hotel points as a general rule are most worth using for hotel stays in Europe or expensive US cities (like NYC) when you can find (in the case of PC) an Express or HI that has a low point cost but a high $$$ cost. But if you don't travel to those kinds of places, the math is quite different.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:16 pm

I have looked for comparision of PC points to other hoteels points. Has anyone seen such a comparision? I would be interested in seeing what people think on a PC TO HILTON AND *WOOD comparision.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by skywalk
I have looked for comparision of PC points to other hoteels points. Has anyone seen such a comparision? I would be interested in seeing what people think on a PC TO HILTON AND *WOOD comparision.
From my personal experience:

1 Starpoint = 4 PC points = 5 HI points

or thereabouts. Allocation of nights to a particular chain all depends on your earning preference (miles, points), for what type of hotels/awards you are going for, credit card spending, status goals with the chains, how many nights you actually spent in hotels per year.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:26 am

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
PC --- *Wood ---- HI ---- Marriott ??

Originally Posted by michaelr

or thereabouts. Allocation of nights to a particular chain all depends on your earning preference (miles, points), for what type of hotels/awards you are going for, credit card spending, status goals with the chains, how many nights you actually spent in hotels per year.

Thanks michaeir for your insight.
I am struggling with a "Loyalty Shift" from PC and Marriott to *Wood. Any thoughts on how Marriott fits into all this?
thx
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, NWA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
well, it's true starpoint is the best, easy to redeem a room and transfer to many airlines. But for hotel stay, you may overrates starpoint. In my opinion, 1 Starpoint = 3 PC points = 4 HI points at best, since 30K PC can get an room in IC, and 40K HI brings you to category 6 in hilton. Further more, PC points count for status, and don't forget "175K HI points = ALON2/GLONP2" is a very valuable option. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by michaelr

Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:01 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by OHNOMRBILL
Thanks michaeir for your insight.
I am struggling with a "Loyalty Shift" from PC and Marriott to *Wood. Any thoughts on how Marriott fits into all this?
thx
If you factor in promotions, you may actually get much more PC points for your travel dollars... in recent times they are running "3000 points for every 3rd night" quite often therefore you might get better value from it.

additional bnefit of PC is also the fact that PC points do not expire.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:12 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by AX9465
If you factor in promotions, you may actually get much more PC points for your travel dollars... in recent times they are running "3000 points for every 3rd night" quite often therefore you might get better value from it.

additional bnefit of PC is also the fact that PC points do not expire.

There is even a 2nd promotion running concurrently with it, where you get 3,000 points for every 3 nights at a an intercontinental hotel on top of the promo here, which is for any IC property.

All in all, 3 difft. saturday leisure stays as a plat. will net me 15,000 points - and two of the nights are at the IC in Edinburgh which costs less than many Holiday Inns. In my opnion therefore, PC rewards people more than any other hotel chain, so long as you can plan your travel around the maximisation of bonus point offers.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by dunwu
... In my opinion, 1 Starpoint = 3 PC points = 4 HI points at best, since 30K PC can get an room in IC, and 40K HI brings you to category 6 in hilton. ...
It all depends. I just redeemed 7 nights in Tahiti and Bora Bora. Let's just use the IC Bora Bora as an example, 5 nights = 150,000 PC points, this is for a beach bungalow. A guaranteed upgrade comes with Ambassador status which can be had for first timers for either $150 or 24k PC points. Total amount spent for an over-water-bungalow, 174,000. I have done this personally just three weeks ago.

If you want to stay at the Starwood Bora Bora Nui, you have to shell out 176,000 *points for 5 nights. The Nui is better than the IC but not to the degree of 1:4, maybe 1:1.5.

I still value a *point 1:4 PC, however, in some situations PC points provide awesome value.

In general, the best approach if you do spend a lot nights at hotels to spread your love across chains. They all offer their midtier status with little effort/fees involved. Hilton was frequent promotions to get Gold with 4 or 6 stays, *wood Gold same deal, Marriott comped me to Platinum (!) over the phone without even wanting to see any proof, ...
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:59 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
No doubt that if you can, and want to redeem PC Points at either IC Bora Bora or IC Amsterdam (their internet advance prepaid rates during peak are as much as $475/night) then you're getting a very high-value of redemption. I've stayed at an IC in Egypt where the points received was worth more, at this rate of redemption, then the actual room charge incurred.
Does anyone know if there is any other hotel that matches, or beats this value of redemption in the IC Chain, possibly even a CP or HI not heard of yet?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:18 pm

I don't want to change the direction of this thread but I am curious about something. I never see anyone with PC points trading on the Coupon Connection. Can someone with PC point explain to me why that is. Seems PC points are more valuable to PC points holder than *wood points are to *wood point holders. Therefore, with my reasoning thus far, the valuation I have seen thus far are way off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.