Free Night Certificate Usage BOGO/BOGOF Master Thread [merged]

Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Flying Blue Platinum, IC Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold

Apologies if this has been answered already, but a search didn't yield anything.

I recently purchased Ambassador status and have yet to receive my free weekend night certificate. Can the certificate be used on a prepaid rate? (And if it can, what's the procedure?)
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
What I am planning to do is book the Friday night on a prepaid rate and an identical room for the Saturday on a normal higher rate. We have decided in recent threads that the policy is that the second night is free, whether or not the rates are different.

I would not want to book 2 pre-paid nights and then try to get a refund from IC - the hassle would be too much.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:28 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I used my Ambassador night on a prepaid 4 nights stay at IC Shanghai just 2 weeks ago. The total amount for these 4 nights had already been charged to my Diners Club in advance. The hotel asked nicely if I could save this voucher for my next stay but I refused that. Hotel claims it will take up to one month to get my money back to my Diners but that does not bother me.
So yes, the Ambassador night is good with prepaid rates even if it can take some time to get your money back to your CC.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:43 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
I am using a free night certificate with a prepaid rate. I, like many people, do not want to prepay for 2 nights and then find out the hotel will not accept the certificate. What I was told to do (and did) is book directly with the hotel. The hotel confirmed the totality of the stay, then charged me the prepaid rate for all nights minus 1. I was told I must bring my certificate AND my Ambassador card with me or I would be forced to pay for another night. I got a confirmation email with all my dates & my charged rate.

I was told conflicting reports by Ambassador CSRs. Some said I would get one prepaid night refunded. Others said the prepaid rate is never refundable, and to book directly with the hotel as I did. I think if you do prepay for both nights, it is really up to the specific hotel whether or not they want to honor the certificate as the prepaid terms are very specifically non-refundable.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest, I don't know why you would want to take the risk by pre-paying for the free night. You are not going to be charged for the second night, so why care about the rate? Simply make two separate bookings for each night, the first pre-paid, the second not.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I will also be staying in the near future on a Free Night cert stay. I made a prepaid rate reservation for the first (Friday) night and a separate standard reservation (same type of room) for the second (more expensive) Saturday night. I did this all online as I don't foresee any problems or any need to call the hotel directly about my using a Free Night cert. I had earlier communicated with Ambassador CSRs twice. Both told me to just make my reservations as I normally would, and then present the Free Night certificate when I check-in.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:08 am

Caution: The OP made it clear that in his/her case the certificate was from an Ambassador status purchase, which has few if any restrictions. Other free weekend night certificates -- for example, the one you can get by staying at the Business Options rate -- have more restrictive conditions. In the latter case, I believe that the certificate would not be valid on a prepaid, Internet-only rate.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I find contacting the hotel in advance is very useful. For example, at the IC Bangkok (will be there in a couple weeks) the hotel was willing to charge my credit card for one pre-paid night instead of two because I had originally wanted to use my Ambassador free weekend night certificate.

In addition, the hotel already confirmed an upgrade from the Club room that I booked to a Club Suite........ this certainly makes it less taxing on the nerves playing upgrade-lotto at check-in.....
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Interesting about "be sure to bring your card", as I notice that the new membership certificates no longer have one's name and number on them, so in theory anyone could try to use it.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres

How do I go about using the free night certificate. Do I need to put in at time of reservation, or do I give to hotel upon check-in.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hand it over at check-in, NOT check-out.

You can put a note in your res saying you will use it but not necessary. Do not book 2 nights at a pre-paid rate because it is a lot of work to refund you one night later. Either book by phone and tell them to only charge one night, book on-line and put a note in the res saying 'only charge 1 night' or - the best way - book the first night on an advance purchase and the second night as a fully flexible, not prepaid, rate.

Loads more on this if you do a search.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
Reward nights and points

I know this may have been covered in previous threads but i cant seem to spot it. I am thinking of using my reward night at the intercontinental Amsterdam but as its one of the more expensive intercontinentals, i was hoping to spend points on one night and the reward certificate on the other. Has anyone done this before? Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. The terms of the voucher are clear:

a) the other night must be paid for
b) the free night is always the second night (this may matter if the rate changes)

The Amstel is a fantastic hotel, and its worth a splurge on one of the bigger or riverside rooms if you can get a good rate with a '2 for 1' in my opinion.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
Ic Amstel

Thanks for the advice, we may well splurge
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:27 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Oddly enough, I recently had a prepaid "Luxury Weekends" rate stay at IC Barclay work out nicely. I went against the credo and booked 2 nights pre-paid at the hotel. I noted I was using the 2 for 1 in my reservation and emailed the hotel directly as well.

Sure enough, I see the charge for BOTH night on my CC. But, not one day later I see a credit for the 2nd night (same rate both nights) ALREADY on my card! Guess I lucked out - and it never hurts to email the hotel directly to let them know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.