IC Yokohama Master Thread [merged]

Old May 22, 2004, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM1K
IC Yokohama Master Thread [merged]

I was comped to PC Plat and will be staying at Yokohama IC. What can I expect as a Plat? Do I get a club floor or a nicer room? Any advice appreciated.
Old May 22, 2004, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Its been a few years since I stayed there, but at the time I was IC Executive level member (30 nights per year was the qualificaiton then... they transferred me to HI Plat with the new program). I was given a club floor with an excellent view of the bay. However, the property, rooms and views are not as nice as the IC Tokyo Bay in my opinion. One thing that comes to mind is that the outdoor pool is tiny!

Originally Posted by sphere
I was comped to PC Plat and will be staying at Yokohama IC. What can I expect as a Plat? Do I get a club floor or a nicer room? Any advice appreciated.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM1K
Originally Posted by xpacific
Its been a few years since I stayed there, but at the time I was IC Executive level member (30 nights per year was the qualificaiton then... they transferred me to HI Plat with the new program). I was given a club floor with an excellent view of the bay. However, the property, rooms and views are not as nice as the IC Tokyo Bay in my opinion. One thing that comes to mind is that the outdoor pool is tiny!
Thanks for the info. I hope they will give me a club floor with excellent view. The view must be really great. Getting somewhat excited about staying there.
Old May 25, 2004, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ask for a view of the giant clock and you won't be disappointed. I've never gotten a club room here since it's always sold out when I go. It's a neat area though.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:06 am

Thumbs down Bad IC Property

Just had a disappointing stay at the IC in Yokohama, Japan.

During check-in, I asked about the hotel's policy for upgrading Ambassador members. I was told that only RAs will be upgraded to Club Floor rooms, and that as an Ambassador only they will upgraded me by one category (which is basically correct acc. to PC terms & conditions).

The room was OK, but the room design was very old fashioned, incl. bathroom, so basically on the very low-end scale of IC properties acc. to my experience.

I noticed that my colleague (no membership or status with PC, he checked-inn separately from me) had the same room, so I asked another guy at the front desk, what type of room I am staying in. He sayd: "a Standard Room, Sir". So, not only that I have NOT received my "guaranteed" room upgrade as an Ambassador by this hotel, I was also fooled by being told I was actaully upgraded. This is totally unacceptable. Also my welcome amenities were only provided in the evening (check-in was at noon) after I had complained to the front desk.

Furthermore, the hotel charges an outrageous USD 35 for using the indoor pool and gym.

I will avoid this property in future, there is a nice Sheraton Hotel nearby.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:46 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by sphere
I stay here several times a year, most recently a few weeks ago. According to the Priority Club Terms & Conditions, your Platinum status should have no effect (read no upgrade) on your reservation, as ICs are under a separate program, the Ambassador program. Honestly speaking, as I have always been an Ambassador when staying at this property, I can't speak from experience if a PC Plat might be given some of the same perks as an Ambassador, regardless of what the T&Cs say.

What I can say from my experience, first as an Ambassador (and PC Gold and later as a PC Plat), is that I have always gotten upgraded to a room on the 18th to 20th floor, including on my most recent stay (as an Ambassador and PC Plat). I have never been upgraded to a Club floor room or better at the Yokohama IC. As mtresc points out, it seems only RAs get Club floor.

If you are an Ambassador, sphere, not only should you find yourself in a room on one of these higher floors, but you will also find a fruit plate, small box of "Yokohama IC" chocolates, and a bottle of mineral water in your room.

Comparing the two Japanese ICs (Tokyo IC and Yokohama IC), besides the ubiquitous wedding parties found at both properties, I feel the Tokyo IC (given its location) caters more to the more mature customer and those on business, while the Yokohama IC (again given its location) caters more to the younger crowd, families, and those on leisure. I personally haven't noticed any big differences in room quality or staff attentiveness. I do prefer the Yokohama IC when I'm staying with my family, because it is in a more upscale immediate area, and with other popular sites a few subway stops away (Chinatown, Motomachi, etc.), there is more to see and do.

I hope I haven't disappointed you, sphere. I do hope you enjoy your stay in Yokohama.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:05 pm
JKD

hard to understand benefits ....

Our company has comparable corporate rates at both the Yokohama Bay Sheraton and IC. Before having status, the IC would consistently upgrade my room to bay view on the 16-19th floor. As Platinum and then as Ambassador, the rooms were in the same category ...... so it's possible they were being nicer to me than I deserved without status ! (Although I did manage quite a few nights there throughout the year.)

As already mentioned, RAs are upgraded to club level. Not having a lot of experience with other ICs, the club room seems nice to me - an elegant mini-buffet in the morning and decent happy hour food.

BTW, I only mention the two rates because the single rooms at the Sheraton are about a quarter the size of the IC, which prompted my move to the IC in the first place .....
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC E, Fairmont PC Plat, HH Gold, Plat Amb
Had an 8 nights stay at the Yokohama Grand IC in February 05.
As a new gold Ambassador, got a room on the 12th floor. When I asked if it was an upgrade, the girl at the desk changed it for a room on the 24th floor.
It was absolutely the same room with a better view.
Later in the day I asked for club access, and suprisingly I got it!
Nice to have Club access for free, but this one was not worth paying for it.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which toiletries do they give at the IC Yokohama?-post includes links to great photos

I know they give molton brown to those in club level or in suites, but dont know about the room Ill be in.
(is it similar to the toiletries half way down in this thread http://sheepcote.jp/rum/hotel/ygic2-p04.htm)

I have a 9 night stay coming up and I realise (with embarrassment) that this is of some significance to me.

I'm thinking of buying Ambassador status so I can turn my Superior Park View room into a Bay View room (and perhaps move up to the 18th-20th floor).
Is this a realistic expectation?
And will it really be just one fruit platter and one free film for the whole 9 days?

(And does anybody know if you get foot soaking contraptions in 'superior' rooms - I saw a photo somewhere where they were in the wardrobe http://sheepcote.jp/rum/hotel/ygic-p03.htm 3rd photo from bottom).

Any other tips greatly appreciated. Ill be a lady staying alone dont know if that will make a difference especially as I want a no smoking room and wasnt able to bag myself one.

There are some photos of some of the premium rooms at the IC Yokohama that Ive seen
Here: http://sheepcote.jp/rum/hotel/ygic2-p01.htm (ladies room)
And here: http://sheepcote.jp/rum/hotel/ygic-p01.htm (1 bed suite)

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 22, 2006 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:02 pm

Hello LapLap,

Originally Posted by LapLap
is it similar to the toiletries half way down in this thread
the toiletries in non-club room are much more basic and generic.

I'm thinking of buying Ambassador status so I can turn my Superior Park View room into a Bay View room (and perhaps move up to the 18th-20th floor).
Is this a realistic expectation?
And will it really be just one fruit platter and one free film for the whole 9 days?
That's what I always get at this property booking the most basic room. Unfortunately it will be one fruit platter and one movie. Tip: keep one plate and set of silverware and buy your own fruit

No foot soaking contraption in superior rooms.

The breakfast buffet is quite bland IMHO, I usually get some an-pan and juice the day before. The nearest bakery is the Pompadour in the Queens complex IIRC, but it tends to run out of breakfast goodies around 10am.

If you do end up buying Ambassador status, break up your stay so as to use your BOGO cert on Saturday night, as that's by far the most expensive day at that hotel.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
I have stayed at the Yokohama IC a few times, the most recent being about 6 months ago. I have RA status, so got the club floor, and it did have that foot soaker contraption (did not try it, however).

LapLap, I recommend you go ahead and purchase Ambassador status to get the club floor (if they will confirm this for you). The free weekend night cert is always worth it at IC Yokohama or IC Tokyo Bay, as Saturdays are generally Y23,000 to Y32,000 for the cheapest rooms.

Positives
Free wireless internet service in the room (whereas IC Tokyo Bay is expensive!)
Free use of the massage chair (inquire at the club reception)
Nice fitness center and pool, but as mtresc noted, as with all hotels in Japan there is a fee to use the facility (unless you are RA)
Large rooms for Japan standards ^

Negatives
Kind of far from Yokohama JR station, and getting to/from Tokyo if that is where your meetings are, etc.
Weekends can get very noisy with wedding ceremonies happening in the atrium -- but this is true of many hotels in Japan...

Also, I have always been given a certificate to have breakfast downstairs at one of the resturants... maybe this is due to RA status, not sure.

I am planning to stay at the IC Yoko in a copule of weeks, so will report on the toiletries (I am also a big fan of Molten Brown)
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

I dont think getting ambassador status (non RA) is going to get me into club floor at this property just the bay view, as monahos confirmed.

My room has been bought and paid for (not by me) so Ill be using the weekend certificate another time. And Im staying at the property because it is where Ill be doing all my business Sakuragicho is a bit of a trek, but Ill be in Minato Mirai most of the time. My main concern is finding affordable decent independent restaurants in the vicinity late at night (I usually choose more working class areas to eat in). Everything seems to be closed by 11pm. (I stayed once at the Sakuragicho Washington which has a fabulous view of the MM area. Seemed to go dead at night though. There were restaurants near Sakuragicho station but as has been mentioned, thats bit of a schlep from the hotel).

Thanks for the tip about pastries at Pompadour. I had the choice of a twin bedded standard room and breakfast or queen bed superior room without I chose the bigger room and bed, so Ill be getting my own.

In fact, thanks for all the tips. (but monahos, what do you mean buy your own fruit? In Minato Mirai? Have you seen the price of fruit in Japan in the city centres? )

Xpacific if you could find out about the ladies floor Id be very grateful. I think theres one on the 26th floor (but thats club level) is that true? And are there any others?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Xpacific if you could find out about the ladies floor Id be very grateful. I think theres one on the 26th floor (but thats club level) is that true? And are there any others?
I didn't really mean to jump in before xpacific had the chance to reply (Konnichiwa xpacific! ), but I was able to dig up a little on the "Ladies Rooms" on the "Ladies Floor" at the Yokohama IC. From what I can tell (and I think you are able to read the Japanese for yourself, LapLap) it doesn't appear to be much more than a more expensive and "prettied up" version of a deluxe room. But it is on a high floor and you do get the foot bath included as well. Might be worth (as an Ambassador) making a request for it when you check in.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
(and I think you are able to read the Japanese for yourself, LapLap)
I didnt mean to give anybody that impression I tackle written Japanese the way others wrestle with crosswords.

I really appreciate the links I completely failed to find any myself. (A lie I found this page: http://www.j-hotel.or.jp/hotel/Inter.../en/index.html)

I'll churn them through 'excite' now for a translation.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:26 pm

monahos, what do you mean buy your own fruit? In Minato Mirai? Have you seen the price of fruit in Japan in the city centres?
I try to drop by the Saturday market in my old haunt on the Toyoko-sen if around for a while... there is a stall selling succulent fruit by the bucket for Y5-800 . Otherwise, one of the depato basements at Yokohama-eki will still handily beat the omiyage-grade fruit price-wise, and provide a much better selection of breakfast beverages than the nearby combini (the nearest one is at street level in Queen's, on the side away from the Pan-Pacific hotel IIRC). Fortunately the I-C in-room fridge is not of the auto-charge variety.

The eateries in Landmark and Queen's plazas seem to cater to departing office workers, and thus close rather early; I suppose those in the low-rise mall across the little bridge (behind the amusement park) do likewise.

My preference goes to the "affordable decent independent restaurants" near Sakuragicho and Kannai stations; even the latter is only a brisk ~20min walk to the hotel, which can help with digestion . Alternatively, there is also Chinatown a few subway stops or boat ride south; the underground restaurants by the Yokohama station west exit seem to close later than their counterparts east.

As for the breakfast tickets received by xpacific, I can confirm this doesn't extend to normal Ambassadors; not a huge loss, as I rate their spread as inferior to e.g. most Japanese Hiltons (the croissants in Otaru are the best!), and obviously designed to satiate hungry tour groups at minimal cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.