Best IHG Beach Resort in SE Asia

Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Best IHG Beach Resort in SE Asia

I am currently in the midst of planning a four week/month long trip to SE Asia and was wondering if anyone could help me with what they deem the best beach resort in the region?

Personally, the things I look for in a beach resort, are a tranquil atmosphere (but ideally not ostentatious), great service, clean beaches, rooms in very good-excellent condition and ideally a lounge with decent drink options.

Currently, I am leaning towards the Regent at Phu Quoc, but I would prefer not to have to travel to an island as my itinerary is currently taking me through - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Chaigmai - Bangkok - Angkor Wat - Saigon - Hanoi - Hong Kong - so ideally I would fit in the resort somewhere along the line by bus/train/taxi rather than an additional flight/ferry.

As for brands I am principally thinking IC and Regent, but could be persuaded by another brand if it is good value for money or is very unique.

TIA for any help!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
With your desire for no ferry / flight and to stay along the route you are travelling, you are setting yourself up for very limited options I think. leaving your level of refinement of the property even aside for now, in Vietnam you could consider IC Danang or IC Nha Trang aside from Phu Quoc and given you would be in Thailand then the IC Khao Yai or IC Hua Hin (refurbishment ongoing) as even Kho Samui is requiring a flight / ferry. IC Phuket is possible, but a bit of a long drive even from BKK, doable though. Some may say IC Pattaya as well, personally though not my cup of tea (... and yes, I know it is in / near Jomtien and not in the seedier part of town).

Anything else like Bali, needs a flight and means going to another country.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
"bus/train/taxi" and "IC and Regent" don't really go that well together in SE Asia. (except maybe for places within shouting distance of Bangkok where you could contemplate a taxi) What do you want is direct flights from one place to another.

Also, time of year is crucial for recommending parts of SE Asia - when are you going?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by craigthemif
"bus/train/taxi" and "IC and Regent" don't really go that well together in SE Asia. (except maybe for places within shouting distance of Bangkok where you could contemplate a taxi) What do you want is direct flights from one place to another.

Also, time of year is crucial for recommending parts of SE Asia - when are you going?
If I am required to do a ferry or a flight, I can do, it is more that I would rather not as I suspect I will be doing a lot of flying already - although if BA return to BKK I will probably cut Singapore and KL for ease which would reduce the amount I need to fly. I am planing on Dec-Jan 24/25.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:21 pm

From Sai Gon, you can choose Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, or Da Nang for your IHG resort getaway; then from that chosen location, you can fly directly to Ha Noi to continue your trip.
  • Phu Quoc: 45 minutes of flying, choices are InterCon & Regent (next door to each other, 15 minutes of taxi)
  • Nha Trang: 1 hour of flying, the only choice is the InterCon (1 hour of bus/taxi), you can also take the overnight bus (not recommended)
  • Da Nang: 1.5 hours of flying, choices are Crowne Plaza (15 minutes of taxi) or InterCon (45 minutes of taxi/hotel transport)
travelbugging likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
From Sai Gon, you can choose Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, or Da Nang for your IHG resort getaway; then from that chosen location, you can fly directly to Ha Noi to continue your trip.
  • Phu Quoc: 45 minutes of flying, choices are InterCon & Regent (next door to each other, 15 minutes of taxi)
  • Nha Trang: 1 hour of flying, the only choice is the InterCon (1 hour of bus/taxi), you can also take the overnight bus (not recommended)
  • Da Nang: 1.5 hours of flying, choices are Crowne Plaza (15 minutes of taxi) or InterCon (45 minutes of taxi/hotel transport)
Thanks, I think after looking at things I will go for the Regent as overall I think that is the best property, especially given that I have a lounge pass.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates
I highly recommend exploring Regent Phu Quoc. It's easily the best resort that I've been to my entire life. It exceeded my expectations, even compared to some of the renowned properties in the Maldives. Every element, from the impeccable service and top-notch interiors to the delectable cuisine, was nothing short of perfection. Consider upgrading to a King Bed Terrace Pool Villa for an even more luxurious stay. However, do keep in mind that the Phu Quoc beaches are unfortunately impacted by the influx of trash from Cambodia
oxfordjames likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moh20
I highly recommend exploring Regent Phu Quoc. It's easily the best resort that I've been to my entire life. It exceeded my expectations, even compared to some of the renowned properties in the Maldives. Every element, from the impeccable service and top-notch interiors to the delectable cuisine, was nothing short of perfection. Consider upgrading to a King Bed Terrace Pool Villa for an even more luxurious stay. However, do keep in mind that the Phu Quoc beaches are unfortunately impacted by the influx of trash from Cambodia
Thanks for the information. In regard to the trash, does this end up on the beach? I have read that the Regent appears to be able to keep there section trash free, however, I am not sure if it was a puff piece.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Thanks for the information. In regard to the trash, does this end up on the beach? I have read that the Regent appears to be able to keep there section trash free, however, I am not sure if it was a puff piece.
Regent and the Intercontinental next door work hard to clean up their beaches every day, but you can still spot some bits of trash here and there. Overall, the beach is well-maintained.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ive been twice and they do maintain the beaches well enough. To be honest, Ive spent all but maybe 15 minutes at the beach in two different stays. Most of the time was spent in the hotel pools. Of course it is nice to look at a clean beach

Another positive is that its VERY safe to ride a bike around the island. The only congested part is going through the central market areas. Roads are very well maintained as well
TheWiseOne likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:18 pm

I love the IC Danang. But I understand that there's still a bit of renovation here and there. If you are looking for a clean beach, I wouldn't go to Regent Phu Quoc. Although they can clean the beach, but once u get into the ocean and swim, you get knocked by trash. It's a bit unpleasant as a Beach resort. I spent most of my time at the pool which defeats the purpose of going to a beach resort. Once the renovation of Danang is over, I think the IC Danang would be a good place to go.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH DIAMOND IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G)
Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
I love the IC Danang. But I understand that there's still a bit of renovation here and there. If you are looking for a clean beach, I wouldn't go to Regent Phu Quoc. Although they can clean the beach, but once u get into the ocean and swim, you get knocked by trash. It's a bit unpleasant as a Beach resort. I spent most of my time at the pool which defeats the purpose of going to a beach resort. Once the renovation of Danang is over, I think the IC Danang would be a good place to go.
Danang won't be particularly warm in Dec/Jan if the focus is on a beach resort.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA *G
Regent Phu Quoc is fantastic but the beach is below average for Southeast Asia.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:42 am

This is a well timed thread! I am headed to Phu Quoc around NYE. I am taking my daughter (shes 4). It will just be us.

Is the Crown Plaza ok? I don't mind spending the extra cash for a super high end experience, but she won't notice. She just wants a beach and pool. I am also looking at the JW Marriott and the Sheraton as well. I have status at both chains and lounge access with IHG FWIW. I am titanium with Marriott and Platinum with IHG.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
This is a well timed thread! I am headed to Phu Quoc around NYE. I am taking my daughter (shes 4). It will just be us.

Is the Crown Plaza ok? I don't mind spending the extra cash for a super high end experience, but she won't notice. She just wants a beach and pool. I am also looking at the JW Marriott and the Sheraton as well. I have status at both chains and lounge access with IHG FWIW. I am titanium with Marriott and Platinum with IHG.
I was really torn between JW Marriott and Regent, but ultimately chose Regent because it's newly built. One thing worth mentioning is that at the Regent hotel, you'll have access to the lounge, and they offer an all-day dining menu during the lounge hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.