Full service property charging for omelettes

Old May 15, 2023, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Full service property charging for omelettes

I was sad to see a favourite property (Voco Oxford Spires) start charging all guests for cooked-to-order breakfast items today, including all omelettes. I checked the Diamond breakfast benefit description and it does seem to give hotels wide latitude to do this, either on the basis that they're providing full buffet access or by designating cooked-to-order items as 'specialty'. The charges were not huge - 2.50 for pancakes or 5 for avocado and poached eggs, but it did seem a little penny-pinching as one would normally expect an omelette to be included. Has anyone else encountered this recently? I wonder whether they're seeing too many diamonds and are trying to claw some money back, but it's put this diamond off a little!
Modo, koriobg and SkyLich like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If they're charging everyone for it including people who have paid for breakfast separately then I don't really see a big problem. Are vocos obliged to provide omelettes at breakfast?
Old May 16, 2023, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I know I wouldn't pay for the fresh omelettes at my local Voco. They're pretty bad.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D!
If they're charging everyone for it including people who have paid for breakfast separately then I don't really see a big problem. Are vocos obliged to provide omelettes at breakfast?
Yes I agree, it's at least fair that everyone's charged. I'm guessing it's not a requirement. But as many four star hotels manage to have an egg station in the corner of the breakfast room, it rankles a little to see an upcharge introduced.

Originally Posted by Aventine
I know I wouldn't pay for the fresh omelettes at my local Voco. They're pretty bad.
I'm sorry to hear of the low standards in Parts Unknown! I've become used to a smoked salmon and cheese omelette and they're competently made in Oxford.
lowfareair likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Originally Posted by :D!
Well if everybody is charged I am wondering can I exchange my prepaid bfast and potentially receive the money difference back. On a serious side this kind of a penny pinching can turn me away to stay in a hotel at all. Fortunately this is not the norm...
tango_echo likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by tango_echo
I was sad to see a favourite property (Voco Oxford Spires) start charging all guests for cooked-to-order breakfast items today, including all omelettes. I checked the Diamond breakfast benefit description and it does seem to give hotels wide latitude to do this, either on the basis that they're providing full buffet access or by designating cooked-to-order items as 'specialty'. The charges were not huge - 2.50 for pancakes or 5 for avocado and poached eggs, but it did seem a little penny-pinching as one would normally expect an omelette to be included. Has anyone else encountered this recently? I wonder whether they're seeing too many diamonds and are trying to claw some money back, but it's put this diamond off a little!
the "specialty" exception is nuts to me - essentially allows anything above a bare minimum breakfast (e.g. oatmeal) to have a charge. I get why they have the rule - some locations may have lobster omelets, hanger steak and eggs, or other dishes that could go for $30+ as an entree, but this essentially lets the hotel classify anything but the absolute cheapest dish as an extra cost.
tango_echo likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
I am surprised to see IHG properties are beginning to Bonvoy their guests. Maybe a new race-to-the-bottom merger is planned for Marriott and IHG Hotels & Resorts.
Old May 16, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
As a more general note, the "breakfast", whether as a benefit or as a prepaid item when booking, is very often bothering me when I go to an unknown property. The public price isn't really a good indicator of the quality and spread... One could say it's the same with room, but there are pictures available to help make the decision. With breakfast, it's often just a single line "breakfast included rate" and you're left to browse tripadvisor pictures in the hope someone took a pic or made a vid of the buffet. (I know it's a first-world problem but it bothers me anyway).
tango_echo likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
This happened to me before the updated restrictions in the T&C at the Kimpton Everly in LA. Most of the drinks there counted as "specialty", including cappuccino and latte that you had to pay extra. The only free drinks for Diamond were just refillable coffee and tea that you can grab on your own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.