Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Reward night stay adjacent to a cash stay - any risk to points earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador

If I have two nights on points, immediately followed by two nights in cash, do I earn points for the two cash nights or is there some quirk (which I think Hilton used to have) that would make the entire four nights non-qualifying for earning? Sorry for what may be an obvious question; I couldn't find any specific references in the T&Cs and FAQs.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You should be ok. It's IHG's IT you need to worry about.

That said, I was expecting all kinds of nightmares after a recent stay similar to your situation, but it credited fine. (except for the points for declining housekeeping, which I never expected to receive anyhow...)
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:10 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I would say, expect some problems and be happy, if none occurs.
In once worse case, IHG Rewards Club refused to credit it, as they considered it as discounted rate after contacting the hotel. It was however one paid rate and five nights on points. All other stays did not post at all, but were credited correclty as missed stay later.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I would say, expect some problems and be happy, if none occurs.
In once worse case, IHG Rewards Club refused to credit it, as they considered it as discounted rate after contacting the hotel. It was however one paid rate and five nights on points. All other stays did not post at all, but were credited correclty as missed stay later.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You should be ok. It's IHG's IT you need to worry about.

That said, I was expecting all kinds of nightmares after a recent stay similar to your situation, but it credited fine. (except for the points for declining housekeeping, which I never expected to receive anyhow...)
Thanks very much to you both for that. I'll make sure to keep a copy of the folio and check the points crediting carefully.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tango_echo
Thanks very much to you both for that. I'll make sure to keep a copy of the folio and check the points crediting carefully.
You're more likely to have a problem with 4 elite nights crediting, if that's important to you.
tango_echo likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
The only way to do that is to have (at least) 2 separate reservations, you can’t mix points and paid nights in the same reservation and there should be no problem at all.
tango_echo likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
The only way to do that is to have (at least) 2 separate reservations, you can’t mix points and paid nights in the same reservation and there should be no problem at all.
Yes, the stay is booked as two separate reservations but if you link them at the hotel so you only have to checkout once, IHG IT normally messes up the points award and categorises spend as non-elegible. Certainly that's my experience.

Keep all receipts and be prepared to chase up with IHG online. It does normally work out OK however and if you are lucky IHG throw some points at you for the trouble.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 12:51 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Couldn't you just ask the hotel to check you out and check you back in to the same room on the transition day to be sure?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:54 pm

I had issues in the past with multiple reservations. Sometimes one of the stays was showing up as non qualifying, the spending was combined on the last stay. Most likely the recommendation of checking out/in is your best option.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
When my flight is late (after 10pm), I usually take an extra night in points, to rest before my flight (I much prefer this to waiting in an airport business lounge).

Quite often this causes some difficulty in getting my paid stay to qualify (as the reservations are merged, the room being the same throughout the stay).

A simple email to the Ambassador department, with a copy of the paid stay booking, solves the problem quickly.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nicolas75
When my flight is late (after 10pm), I usually take an extra night in points, to rest before my flight (I much prefer this to waiting in an airport business lounge).

Quite often this causes some difficulty in getting my paid stay to qualify (as the reservations are merged, the room being the same throughout the stay).

A simple email to the Ambassador department, with a copy of the paid stay booking, solves the problem quickly.
One issue I have come across before with corrected stays fixed by Ambassador Service Center is that the stay(s) in question don't change from non-qualifyingn to qualifying, but come with some other "label" like adjusted or so IIRC. This usually meant that they didn't auto trigger / track for promotions and even when some promo bonuses due were manually added, the underlying promo counter itself could have been screwed up without a fix in sight.

Not the end of the world, but annoying for sure and can mean one needs to keep an even closer eye on those points accruals. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.