What is IHG EXACT policy on room upgrades

Old Jan 24, 23, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ihg
What is IHG EXACT policy on room upgrades

do diamond members get a minimum, of two category room upgrades, if available ?

if a suite room is available, is IHG required to offer it to diamond members ?
Old Jan 24, 23, 1:58 pm

Ambassador one category upgrade "guaranteed".
​​​​​​Diamond room upgrade upon hotel's discretion.

You could interpret that as 2 category upgrade for Diamond ambassador at a well wiling hotel. Though that rarely happens.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ihg
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Ambassador one category upgrade "guaranteed".
​​​​​​Diamond room upgrade upon hotel's discretion.

You could interpret that as 2 category upgrade for Diamond ambassador at a well wiling hotel. Though that rarely happens.

so diamond members are not even guaranteed a 1 room category upgrade ? It is all up to the hotel if they are WILLING to do it?
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:07 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by anonsa View Post
so diamond members are not even guaranteed a 1 room category upgrade ? It is all up to the hotel if they are WILLING to do it?
That is correct. The only guaranteed upgrade is Ambassador 1 category upgrade at Intercontinental.

I have consistently been upgraded by at least one category at all HI/HIX I visit, (only other brand than IC that I use at IHG) often to one of the best suites in the hotel if available so not like I have been disappointed.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by anonsa View Post
Ywa and it even says that in the benefits tsble

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page

Room upgrades are subject to availability, at the hotels discretion,

So even if a room is available they dont have to give it to you.

And there not a new thing,

Unlike the Admiral Ive not had an upgrade at the HI I regularly stay at in over a year. So much so that one of the receptionists that recognises me has started to apologise!
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
The sticky of this thread should answer any questions:

IHG One Rewards Programme Information
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 11:00 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
I have just checked in to a Hotel Indigo today (I am Diamond) - got the room I paid for and no more, even though 'better' rooms are available for sale for tonight.
It's only a one night stay, so I couldn't be bothered to ask / push it, but I don't think they really give a sh*t beyond giving free breakfast
336 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 1:29 pm

The policy can best be summarized in practice as "you'll take what you'll get and you'll like it." As others have noted, there are no guarantees beyond the room you've actually booked - and even then there have been instances of downgrades, albeit rare.

I've had 4 IHG stays this year so far: 2 ICs (San Diego and DC), an Indigo (St. Louis), and a Kimpton (Philadelphia). Of those, the IC San Diego is the only one I'd say honored the upgrades (booked base, got city view corner). Admittedly, the IC DC Wharf was full at the time, and service was pretty top-notch, but I wonder whether the benefits would have been honored there. Indigo St. Louis is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at, and Kimpton, while flashy, doesn't seem to care for loyalty beyond their own Inner Circle.

It's a bummer, really, because I had high hopes for IHG Diamond (am IC Ambassador) too. I won't reject IHG hotels outright - if they're the best available where I'm traveling then fine - but I'm also not going to go out of my way to hold onto the status. Hyatt and Marriott are good enough for me.
Old Jan 26, 23, 10:09 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver BD Gold rememberer, A-club and IHG Plat, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dcflyer1982 View Post
The policy can best be summarized in practice as "you'll take what you'll get and you'll like it." As others have noted, there are no guarantees beyond the room you've actually booked - and even then there have been instances of downgrades, albeit rare.

I've had 4 IHG stays this year so far: 2 ICs (San Diego and DC), an Indigo (St. Louis), and a Kimpton (Philadelphia). Of those, the IC San Diego is the only one I'd say honored the upgrades (booked base, got city view corner). Admittedly, the IC DC Wharf was full at the time, and service was pretty top-notch, but I wonder whether the benefits would have been honored there. Indigo St. Louis is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at, and Kimpton, while flashy, doesn't seem to care for loyalty beyond their own Inner Circle.

It's a bummer, really, because I had high hopes for IHG Diamond (am IC Ambassador) too. I won't reject IHG hotels outright - if they're the best available where I'm traveling then fine - but I'm also not going to go out of my way to hold onto the status. Hyatt and Marriott are good enough for me.
Well, as an ambassador, you are guaranteed an upgrade at ICs, so DC should have honored it and compensated your for not providing the upgraded room, with either points or a credit on hotel services (unless you were using a free night). Well, if you made it to Diamond, there is a strong chance you've not "rejecting IHG hotels" anyway :-)

What we need however is an exact upgrade path per hotel, given the leniency IHG demonstrates toward bizarre room upgrade (you booked a room with a blue painting and got upgrade to a room with a red painting!)

Last edited by Richelieu; Jan 26, 23 at 11:22 am

Search this Thread