Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UKtravelbear
Confirmed Suite Upgrades

Valid on flexible cash bookings (prepaid is a possibility sometimes)(reward bookings not yet eligible as of 6/6/23)
One cert is valid for up to 5 nights
Two or more certs could be combined
valid 12 month
need to call earliest 14 days or lates 24 hours ahead of stay to confirm the suite
does not include lounge access

(IHG Terms and Conditions)

Print Wikipost

Milestone Discussion: Confirmable Suite Upgrades

Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by moolman
I know, my post right above says I was able to upgrade a corp rate. There was something going on for the past month because many of us called and were told BFR only but now other rates work. 😁
That's great news - looking forward to testing this out once it's D-14 for an upcoming stay. I'm not booking a non-refundable rate unless I know I am definitely getting the upgrade!
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:04 pm

I'm not getting much value out of the CSU right now but I'm hoping it gets better. The best value is finding ICs that don't have a Jr Suite.

For example, IC Barcelona's lowest suite is one with a 1 bedroom and balcony. IC LA is a Jr suite and many times as a diamond, you will probably get the Jr suite anyway without the CSU.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
I'm not getting much value out of the CSU right now but I'm hoping it gets better. The best value is finding ICs that don't have a Jr Suite.

For example, IC Barcelona's lowest suite is one with a 1 bedroom and balcony. IC LA is a Jr suite and many times as a diamond, you will probably get the Jr suite anyway without the CSU.
I too am questioning their value.

We stayed at the IC Barcelona in Dec as Diamond Ambassador. It was on the lux life rate, but booked 1 King classic with sofa bed and was upgraded to that 1 bed suite with balcony. I had tried to use the CSU but was told the rate wasn't valid. Would have been a wasted use as it turns out.

I won't be selecting the CSU again I don't think.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Smythmeister
I too am questioning their value.

We stayed at the IC Barcelona in Dec as Diamond Ambassador. It was on the lux life rate, but booked 1 King classic with sofa bed and was upgraded to that 1 bed suite with balcony. I had tried to use the CSU but was told the rate wasn't valid. Would have been a wasted use as it turns out.

I won't be selecting the CSU again I don't think.
I think I was posting with you about it. At IC Barcelona, if you book the room with the sofa bed, you get the suite with the sofa bed because that's the only other room that can have 3 guests. I booked that too 3 weeks ago and got the upgrade. I'm also Diamond Ambassador, not sure if others get the same upgrade.

This time, I'm saving about $200 by booking the classic room and using the CSU because booking the sofa bed room was $200 more. But I don't think I can easily use CSUs and I'm going to be able to get at least 4 more this year, if my travel plans work out.

I can see good value at some properties, look at IC San Diego, they don't have a Jr. Suite, so you'd get 1 bedroom using the CSU.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador

The question is whether a Junior Suite is considered a Suite or not. In my opinion, a Junior Suite is not a Suite; but this apparently differs from hotel to hotel. This is also reflected when you search on the IHG Website and select "Suite" when all available rooms are listed. For the IC LA, as well as for the IC San Francisco, the Junior Suites are NOT listed in the Suite-category (in contrast to e.g. the IC Berlin or Vienna). But it is true that when trying to use a CSU, the IHG agent typically tries to give you a Junior Suite instead of a Suite. I used my CSU for the IC San Francisco and the agent told me that a Junior Suite or 1-Bedroom Suite is available with the CSU. I of course insisted to the be upgraded to the latter.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Have you actually read the new member benefits page? Because it's very clear what sort of upgrade will be given

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page

Confirmable Suite Upgrade: Confirmable Suite Upgrades will be applicable for one room upgrade to an entry-level suite or premium room where a suite is not available.
Originally Posted by boekel
I believe ninjalad said nothing else what you confirm with the quote from the T&C's. So, nothing to get excited about
Originally Posted by boekel
exactly, you might get a better upgrade, but he fears that you shouldn't hold your breath for that.

semantics

I'm confused about this junior suite thing.

What if the hotel has junior suites but they are sold out and a one bedroom suite is available. Does that mean we can confirm a one bedroom suite upgrade, or do they "Sorry, these are only for entry level suites and the entry level suites are sold out this night, so no upgrade for you."
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Booked a cash rate. CS said my rate was too deeply discounted to apply a CSU and then sent me to the T&C which says nothing about my rate not being eligible. Confirmed many times prior to earning my 20 nights that my rate is eligible. Canceled my stay and booked elsewhere.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Booked a cash rate. CS said my rate was too deeply discounted to apply a CSU and then sent me to the T&C which says nothing about my rate not being eligible. Confirmed many times prior to earning my 20 nights that my rate is eligible. Canceled my stay and booked elsewhere.
Is it not meant to be booked using an AP rate? If so, how were you able to cancel?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:34 am

Did not say it was a AP rate and did not use a AP rate.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm confused about this junior suite thing.

What if the hotel has junior suites but they are sold out and a one bedroom suite is available. Does that mean we can confirm a one bedroom suite upgrade, or do they "Sorry, these are only for entry level suites and the entry level suites are sold out this night, so no upgrade for you."
Couple of weeks ago I called to use my SNU at an IC, I called about 5 days before the stay was due to start. I originally had mid range room using a corporate rate with 20% discount off the BFR . App showed I'd already had my one level bump as I'm AMB.

Agent confirmed my name / booking ref etc then put me on hold. Few minutes later she was able to offer me the choice of two upgraded rooms. Both called 'suites' but only one showed up as a suite if you selected 'suite' in the room options in the app.

I had the app opened so was quickly able to check both rooms and then tell her which one I wanted. Booking immediatly updated in the app and confirmatory email arrived a minute or so later. If I wasn't happy with the room then I would have declined.

Rather then get hooked on the names of rooms and is that an upgrade or not on your original booking look at the actual room details and then decide if that's what you want.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:41 pm

I'm checking into the Intercontinental Muscat today and was able to use my confirmable suite upgrade, which initially booked into a 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor, when I called the diamond concierge 14 days out from check-in.

However, I checked my reservation today and it's now confirmed into a 1 King Bed Junior Suite Sea View Balcony. My reservation was still showing a 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor two days ago. I'm wondering if the Intercontinental is playing suite upgrade games as the 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor was confirmed two weeks ago and for the exact booking dates.

I inquired with IHG customer service and received an email from the property explaining that "we regret to informed you that we do not have the top floor suite available for upgrade. The top floor is occupied until the 31st of March."

I question why the suite was able to be booked and confirmed via email for two weeks before the property realized that the suite has been "occupied until the 31 of March." Why would the suite be allowed to be booked for those dates by the concierge if it was already occupied/booked by the property?

Also, I do find it questionable that the downgrade to 1 King Bed Junior Suite Sea View Balcony was made after the allowable cancellation policy to cancel with a full refund and without penalty. I feel that I could have found another alternative to use my suite upgrade if the suite was accidentally booked and occupied.

Any thoughts or DPs on how to proceed? Should I try to get my confirmable suite upgrade back into my account? Would it be more effective to contact someone at IHG vs the property? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jglenn16; Mar 26, 2023 at 8:47 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16
I'm checking into the Intercontinental Muscat today and was able to use my confirmable suite upgrade, which initially booked into a 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor, when I called the diamond concierge 14 days out from check-in.

However, I checked my reservation today and it's now confirmed into a 1 King Bed Junior Suite Sea View Balcony. My reservation was still showing a 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor two days ago. I'm wondering if the Intercontinental is playing suite upgrade games as the 1 King Royal Suite Sea View Top Floor was confirmed two weeks ago and for the exact booking dates.

I inquired with IHG customer service and received an email from the property explaining that "we regret to informed you that we do not have the top floor suite available for upgrade. The top floor is occupied until the 31st of March."

I question why the suite was able to be booked and confirmed via email for two weeks before the property realized that the suite has been "occupied until the 31 of March." Why would the suite be allowed to be booked for those dates by the concierge if it was already occupied/booked by the property?

Also, I do find it questionable that the downgrade to 1 King Bed Junior Suite Sea View Balcony was made after the allowable cancellation policy to cancel with a full refund and without penalty. I feel that I could have found another alternative to use my suite upgrade if the suite was accidentally booked and occupied.

Any thoughts or DPs on how to proceed? Should I try to get my confirmable suite upgrade back into my account? Would it be more effective to contact someone at IHG vs the property? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
IHG won't do a thing.

Keep a screenshot of the top floor suite and deal with the GM, although they don't have the ability to give you back the award I don't think.

Unfortunately, if you checked in and accepted the lesser room, you've pretty much waived your rights to get anything done.

I would have canceled, stayed elsewhere and done a charge back if they tried to charge me. Clearly they screwed you over here
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
IHG won't do a thing.

Keep a screenshot of the top floor suite and deal with the GM, although they don't have the ability to give you back the award I don't think.

Unfortunately, if you checked in and accepted the lesser room, you've pretty much waived your rights to get anything done.

I would have canceled, stayed elsewhere and done a charge back if they tried to charge me. Clearly they screwed you over here
I still havent checked in, I check-in in about 10 hours or so. So trying to figure out how to proceed. The royal suite isnt available anymore, Im assuming they blocked it out from being reserved. I do have my email confirmation with the royal suite confirmed in my inbox though.

Would dealing with the GM yield any results? I feel like they are just going to insist that the suite is now occupied. Thanks again for the initial feedback!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16
I still haven’t checked in, I check-in in about 10 hours or so. So trying to figure out how to proceed. The royal suite isn’t available anymore, I’m assuming they blocked it out from being reserved. I do have my email confirmation with the royal suite confirmed in my inbox though.

Would dealing with the GM yield any results? I feel like they are just going to insist that the suite is now “occupied”. Thanks again for the initial feedback!
It really depends if you have your heart on staying there or you want to book an alternate hotel on 10 hours notice.

Also, you don't really want to tick off the hotel while you're in a foreign country.

If you don't want to stay there, I would e-mail the hotel, tell them you do not intend to stay there because you had a confirmed booking and they changed it, and you are canceling the reservation and expect the prompt return of your suite award.

If they charge you, I'd wait until I get home and then initiate a chargeback.

I changed my opinion from earlier and I don't think any convo with the GM is going to help as you caught them red handed and they clearly don't care about, or need your business.

You could try to negotiate some form of compensation. But once you accept the lesser room, you really have no negotiating power left.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:49 pm

I can see why they downgraded you. The Royal Suite is 6x the price of the Junior Suite. My guess? It never should have been bookable. Someone messed up and now they're backtracking.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.