Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UKtravelbear
Confirmed Suite Upgrades

Valid on flexible cash bookings (prepaid is a possibility sometimes)(reward bookings not yet eligible as of 6/6/23)
One cert is valid for up to 5 nights
Two or more certs could be combined
valid 12 month
need to call earliest 14 days or lates 24 hours ahead of stay to confirm the suite
does not include lounge access

(IHG Terms and Conditions)

Print Wikipost

Milestone Discussion: Confirmable Suite Upgrades

Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: IHG
*Prepaid rates if deposit is already applied

According to that wording, you can use it on prepaid rates provided the hotel have not taken a form of deposit against your stay.

So, you could in theory make your reservation and then immediately ring the CSU line
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by turner32
*Prepaid rates if deposit is already applied

According to that wording, you can use it on prepaid rates provided the hotel have not taken a form of deposit against your stay.

So, you could in theory make your reservation and then immediately ring the CSU line
I've been trying to redeem mine for a stay in Paris Le Grand booked on a Book Early and Save Member Exclusive rate which has not had the deposit taken. Being told this is not an applicable rate either. This is the second time a rate isn't available despite terms and conditions saying it should work.

So frustrating. Something that could be use just isn't. So I have a rewards wallet full of CSU and F&B credits that can't be used almost 10 months after they were introduced.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:33 am

I wish it were made clear at time of booking if rates were applicable to be upgraded, I have tried to upgrade a Kimpton Winter Sale rate (no deposit, fully refundable) and told no, despite the email confirmation indicating I could use the voucher (I think that is on every confirmation booking though so likely misleading).

I am now making duplicate bookings (if the price is worth it), one discounted (but still free cancellation) and one Best Flex. Some intercontinentals (e.g Chicago) it's not worth it though when the best flex basic room is the same rate as one below a suite using a discounted rate (where I should get the AMB upgrade to the suite anyway)
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:56 am

I take it back. After a lot of back and forth they were able to apply it. Showing in the app and has changed the reservation to a refundable rate.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Smythmeister
I take it back. After a lot of back and forth they were able to apply it. Showing in the app and has changed the reservation to a refundable rate.
Congrats on getting it to apply. I ended up calling to change to the BFR rate, so that I can use the cert. They spoke to the hotel and the hotel said they upgrade Diamonds to a suite anyway, so the hotel upgraded me and the CSR said I can just keep the certificate since the hotel did it. It was a nice surprise. I think it's just easier to hope and pray we can use these one day on award stays.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by moolman
Congrats on getting it to apply. I ended up calling to change to the BFR rate, so that I can use the cert. They spoke to the hotel and the hotel said they upgrade Diamonds to a suite anyway, so the hotel upgraded me and the CSR said I can just keep the certificate since the hotel did it. It was a nice surprise. I think it's just easier to hope and pray we can use these one day on award stays.
Oh nice. Upgrade diamonds to suites at Le Grand?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
https://viewfromthewing.com/better-u...ewards-guests/
HadesNL likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
It should not have to be this difficult!
pretzlaff and HadesNL like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks for posting

I do like the comments:

Daniel M says:
February 1, 2023 at 11:44 am
Diamond Ambassador, I still have to fight tooth and nail for free upgrades to suites when they’re available upon check-in
The Intercontinental Cairo Semiramis in December 2022 also tried to refuse me a suite upgrade at check-in even though it was available.
In all three cases I had to show them the blog post that Gary did with Heather back in May 2022 to convince them that free suite upgrades are a perk of the program

It seems again some overexpectation of diamond status....
Yes as AMB you get cat+1 upgrade
Yes as Diamond you can get an upgrade subject to availability at hotel's discretion as per T&C

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page
Room upgrades are subject to availability, at the hotel’s discretion, and will only apply to the Member’s personal guest room. Upgrades may include next best available room, such as suites, rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views

* the hotel could upgrade you all the way to suites but yet it is still the luck of the draw of the day depending on the hotel/occupancy/factors

The CSU is the only option to get a suite confirmed with certainty before the stay commences..
Granted, some hotels do go beyond and above for Diamonds and Diamond+AMB so not all hope is lost
ARR72 and rickesh like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 1, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:24 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
There is always a chance ....Yes, (again subject to hotel's discretion & upon availability)
it is a big hotel,
with a lot of room / suite types in all sizes / shapes ....
the lead in category: junior suite
- can face the innercourt (quiet),
- side streets (only some with Eiffeltower views depends on floor),
- the opera Garnier ( = highest category in views)
but
if it is Opera season or Fashion week or some city wide event or several ME sheiks with their harem than impossible due to the solid demand ...

one has a better chance if stays are during off-peak travel
Smythmeister likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 1, 2023 at 2:37 pm
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:09 pm

No, sorry, I should have been more clear. It was for a different hotel. Just wanted to point out as before that, it looks like it's hard coded into the system that only the BFR works with the CSU even though the terms say otherwise. The CSRs are trying to use it, just doesn't work.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got 2 of these, and to be honest, it seems far too much effort to get one applied. Do wish I'd just taken the 10k points for the second one as those would have been more useful.
VaBeachGirl and ARR72 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:31 pm

Red alert...lol

Looks like IHG fixed the CSU to be not just BFR. I am persistent...lol... I called to upgrade my stay next week at IC Barcelona. I used my corporate rate first and was going to change to BFR, if I had to. Well, I called and they just made sure the suite was available and no issues, immediately upgraded me. No going to a supervisor to check, nothing about the system wasn't allowing it. It just worked and it shows on the app.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by moolman
No, sorry, I should have been more clear. It was for a different hotel. Just wanted to point out as before that, it looks like it's hard coded into the system that only the BFR works with the CSU even though the terms say otherwise. The CSRs are trying to use it, just doesn't work.
Cannot confirm this. Used two upgrades last year and wasn't on the BFR on either one. Instead, the one booking was a corporate rate, the other one a member rate.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ffgap
Cannot confirm this. Used two upgrades last year and wasn't on the BFR on either one. Instead, the one booking was a corporate rate, the other one a member rate.
I know, my post right above says I was able to upgrade a corp rate. There was something going on for the past month because many of us called and were told BFR only but now other rates work. 😁

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.