Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UKtravelbear
Confirmed Suite Upgrades

Valid on flexible cash bookings (prepaid is a possibility sometimes)(reward bookings not yet eligible as of 6/6/23)
One cert is valid for up to 5 nights
Two or more certs could be combined
valid 12 month
need to call earliest 14 days or lates 24 hours ahead of stay to confirm the suite
does not include lounge access

(IHG Terms and Conditions)

Print Wikipost

Milestone Discussion: Confirmable Suite Upgrades

Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:41 pm

Looks like the upgrade cert might be a good deal after all. The fine print does say:
  • Confirmable Suite Upgrade can only be applied to stays that are on an eligible rate, e.g., Best Flexible, Member Discount, Government, and select Corporate and package rates
The Book Early and save rates that I'm seeing that are even cheaper than my okay, corporate rate are pretty good. You'll see Member Discount on the rate, so it looks like it qualifies. I'll confirm as my check in date approaches and I'll call in.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond Super Flyers, IHG Royal Ambassador, Marriott Ambassador Elite
My CSU request also has been declined. According to service centre agent Mr. Matsumoto, system only support BFR. All other rate must be changed to BFR even if it was not pre-payment rate. Agent told me no matter how T&Cs described, this is sole of IHG discretion. 👎
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan
My CSU request also has been declined. According to service centre agent Mr. Matsumoto, system only support BFR. All other rate must be changed to BFR even if it was not pre-payment rate. Agent told me no matter how T&Cs described, this is sole of IHG discretion. 👎
Dang, then the upgrade certs are pretty much getting worthless. I should of taken the 10k points with the lounge pass at 40 nights...haha
ARR72 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raynyan
So corporate rates don't work at all? This is bad news if true, and I just selected the CSUs alongside the lounge pass for my 40-night milestone reward.

It's one thing to have them only count for paid (not reward) stays, but disallowing any rate other than BFR seems designed to make them far less useful for many of us.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:16 pm

My first use of the CSU is tonight at the Sydney IC. I had booked with a flex rate that included extra points but they could not upgrade off that rate so I had to rebook standard flex rate to apply the CSU. My flex rate was $387 aud per night for two nights and I was upgraded into an Opera House view suite which is $1475 aud per night. I figure I got $3000 of value from a $775 cost. I was told I would not receive Lounge Access but I have this as part of my rewards for the year so you can add $150 per night onto that.
moolman, IMH, pretzlaff and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Great outcome! I have four nights there later this month. Today I changed my booking to the flex rate. I will call in 3 days. I see that they still have at least 8 suites available. So we will see.

I also have a backup points booking at like 32k per night in case I dont score a suite.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
No corporate rates being eligible is (would be) bad news. Rarely do I book BFR and usually our corp rate. Sometimes it pulls the "Gold" rate or if we have a negotiated one for a specific property then that.

I got a 20 nights option and was considering the Suite night. Then I thought ANA IC Tokyo for a trip later this year but BFR (at the moment) is 60-70k JPY (seems high) and corp rate for Premier room 25k JPY. No way would it make sense to book BFR. Oh well, still got 2.5 months to make my selection.

Last edited by demue; Jan 6, 2023 at 9:55 pm
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Just called 14 days out for a 4 night stay at IC Sydney. Went pretty much like lainF above reported. I had upgraded to a real Flex Rate a couple of days ago for about $10/night to avoid that issue. Went from a base King Classic at about $408aud/ night to a King 1 Bedroom Suite Harbor View with a current price of $1385/night. They sent an immediate email confirmation.

One rep said that they were looking for an 'entry level' suite or something like that. There were 3 'city view' suites available at $850ish/ night, but they said I would get a Harbor View Suite.

Last, this did not happen easily. I was on the phone for 45 minutes with 3 reps. First rep ended with a disconnect. Second rep could get it done and sent me to the Ambassador Rep. The Ambassador Rep took at least 20 minutes doing who knows what. So get a beer before you start all this.

In sum, tho, an excellent result. This part of the program is very valuable.

Now when we get there, it will be interesting to see if the 40 night Lounge access thing works.
demue likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:11 pm

Maybe I got lucky and I called about a reservation 14 days out to see if my corporate rate would work. The rep came back and said it qualifies and was about to upgrade me but I did stop her cause it was a test run. She called out the upgrade suite and everything. There was no mention about booking the best flexible and I did mention that I was calling because I wanted to make sure my corporate rate worked with the cert. My real reservation that I'm going to upgrade is in a week, I'll report back if it all goes smoothly.
demue and pretzlaff like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by moolman
Maybe I got lucky and I called about a reservation 14 days out to see if my corporate rate would work. The rep came back and said it qualifies and was about to upgrade me but I did stop her cause it was a test run. She called out the upgrade suite and everything. There was no mention about booking the best flexible and I did mention that I was calling because I wanted to make sure my corporate rate worked with the cert. My real reservation that I'm going to upgrade is in a week, I'll report back if it all goes smoothly.
Good luck, if you could share the type of corp rate (not the code or the company name) that would be interesting as well.

E.g. my employer has globally negotiated discounts that can vary from say 10ish to 18ish percent of BFR. These rates are usually labelled "Company XYZ Gold" something rate. Then we have specific, negotiated rates for certain properties like ones that are near our offices or such. Those negotiated rates can often undercut the BFR or Gold rates by a fair amount and only shows as "Company XYZ" rate and are often some "rounded" amount, e.g. not 187.34$ but rather 160$ etc.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Good luck, if you could share the type of corp rate (not the code or the company name) that would be interesting as well.

E.g. my employer has globally negotiated discounts that can vary from say 10ish to 18ish percent of BFR. These rates are usually labelled "Company XYZ Gold" something rate. Then we have specific, negotiated rates for certain properties like ones that are near our offices or such. Those negotiated rates can often undercut the BFR or Gold rates by a fair amount and only shows as "Company XYZ" rate and are often some "rounded" amount, e.g. not 187.34$ but rather 160$ etc.

Thanks.
When I use my corporate code, it gives me 2 rates at most hotels. So it will say "Company" which is the name of where I work and usually its the lowest rate but the caveat is that it can be cancelled same day without penalty.
Then I get a second rate like you that says "Company GOLD" which is higher but not cancellable without penalty 1 or 2 days before.

Not sure how things work but the GOLD rate is many times makes no sense since it's higher priced and has a penalty but then on some hotels, only the GOLD rate is available. The majority of times, the book ahead rate is slightly cheaper than the corporate rate, the bad thing being, it's non-refundable.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:50 pm

Ok, I've confirmed it with 2 calls. I booked 4 days for next week with my corporate rate, they tried applying the upgrade and it didn't work. Came back and now said that it has to be the best flexible rate. Pretty much made it way more expensive since I get a decent corporate rate and also the stay longer rate doesn't apply. The terms on the certificate are definitely not correct.

;(
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by moolman
Ok, I've confirmed it with 2 calls. I booked 4 days for next week with my corporate rate, they tried applying the upgrade and it didn't work. Came back and now said that it has to be the best flexible rate. Pretty much made it way more expensive since I get a decent corporate rate and also the stay longer rate doesn't apply. The terms on the certificate are definitely not correct.

;(
At this point, it makes me regret choosing the suite upgrade milestone. Might as well have chosen the 5,000 points.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by ARR72
At this point, it makes me regret choosing the suite upgrade milestone. Might as well have chosen the 5,000 points.
Yeah, I should of just got the points. On many ICs that I've been checking, they have Jr Suites that are on the cheaper end and when you compare the Jr Suite price to the classic rate on my corp rate. It's better to just book the Jr suite with my corp rate and then get the ambassador upgrade to a bigger suite. The upgrade cert gets you to a Jr Suite at these properties.

Our only hope of getting good value is if they make this eligible on awards stays, it says coming soon, so we will see.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:26 am

Is IHG lux n lifestyle rate eligible for CSU ?

Wonder that promotion stay 5 pay 4 at IHG lux n lifestyle rate can be stacked witch csu.. that would be nice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.