FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Hotel tried to charge more by adding extra person fee without my consent (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2101954-hotel-tried-charge-more-adding-extra-person-fee-without-my-consent.html)

3rdworldresident Nov 24, 2022 4:31 pm

Hotel tried to charge more by adding extra person fee without my consent

Hello guys,

i’m an IHG newbie member.

i originally booked a room for 2 persons and the rate at the time of booking reflected that. The rate was lower when i chose 1 person. I got the confirmation email as a proof.

now a hotel (in Japan) wants to charge me more by adding ‘an extra person charge’ to my booking without my consent.

is this standard practice at IHG hotels in Japan?

What should i do next?

thank you for any recommendations.

jxd Nov 24, 2022 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 34782871)
Hello guys,

i’m an IHG newbie member.

i originally booked a room for 2 persons and the rate at the time of booking reflected that. The rate was lower when i chose 1 person. I got the confirmation email as a proof.

now a hotel (in Japan) wants to charge me more by adding ‘an extra person charge’ to my booking without my consent.

is this standard practice at IHG hotels in Japan?

What should i do next?

thank you for any recommendations.

So did you end up booking for 1 person or 2 persons? Many hotels in Japan charge extra for double occupancy.

3rdworldresident Nov 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by jxd (Post 34782894)
So did you end up booking for 1 person or 2 persons? Many hotels in Japan charge extra for double occupancy.

i did book a room for 2 persons. I also got confirmation email stated this booking was for 2 persons.

jiunsoh Nov 24, 2022 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 34782958)
i did book a room for 2 persons. I also got confirmation email stated this booking was for 2 persons.

send an email to them showing the terms in booking confirmation
politely request them to explain why the additional charge

you can file a dispute with credit card company for the extra charges incurred

3rdworldresident Nov 25, 2022 5:26 am

at check in a couple of hours ago, it turned out good. hotel charged me the original confirmed rate without me asking.

thank you all guys.

Allan38103 Nov 25, 2022 8:44 am

OP says in his first post he originally booked for "2 People". OP confirms that in his second post. The hotel confirmed the booking was for "2 People." At checkout OP was charged for "2 People."

What am I missing?

Ghoulish Nov 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 34783905)
OP says in his first post he originally booked for "2 People". OP confirms that in his second post. The hotel confirmed the booking was for "2 People." At checkout OP was charged for "2 People."

What am I missing?

His original rate was for a reservation specifying 2 people.

The hotel added an additional amount to that
reserved rate for the 2nd person.

Concerto Nov 25, 2022 4:15 pm

Probably realised their mistake and took the charge off the folio. Can happen. You get similar issues in Germany which is another country that charges extra for a second person in the room.

RockyMntFlyer Dec 31, 2022 11:29 am

Curious about the "Extra Person Charge" and if this is a normal thing. I have never experienced this in a luxury hotel (unless it's 3+ people). I am looking to book the IC Aqaba, Jordan and they are adding about $30 USD per night for a second person in the room (my husband)? Curious about others' experiences...

Thanks

Admiral Ackbar Dec 31, 2022 11:38 am

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer (Post 34880181)
Curious about the "Extra Person Charge" and if this is a normal thing. I have never experienced this in a luxury hotel (unless it's 3+ people). I am looking to book the IC Aqaba, Jordan and they are adding about $30 USD per night for a second person in the room (my husband)? Curious about others' experiences...

Thanks

I have never stayed in that hotel (or even in that part of the world so unsure if it is local custom) but I have never seen this charged for the second person at any IC I have stayed at.

SanDiego1K Dec 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer (Post 34880181)

It's very common in Japan. I've no idea about Jordan.

ninjalot Dec 31, 2022 2:52 pm

Just fyi, if you have Ambassador, one of the benefits is single room rate for double occupancy