Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread was to discuss a corporate offer that was leaked to the public by blogs.
The offer was to instantly upgrade your account to Diamond Elite regardless of current status and stays.

This offer is now dead and the thread has deviated from its original topic.
Suggest mods to lock
Print Wikipost

Get instantly upgraded to IHG Diamond status

Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Besides verylyvke, now also LL has caught on.
Won't be to long before tout Boarding Area blogs+Insideflyer are up with torches and pitchforks,
calling for an outrage, reaching out to corporate,
heated rants, bye bye IHG, cancelling creditcards, calling it a joke and fleeing back to Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton/Accor
Me? After "spire" status nothing surprises me anymore so i'll just sit this one out from now

----
PS: did someone bother to inform and correct our great thoughtleader VFTW,
i did but it fell again on deaf ears....
https://viewfromthewing.com/ihg-now-...n-award-stays/
Besides above statement being a hazzard thoughtleadering guess without any actual IHG-stay experience,
more gems of no IHG experience, but with his leading thoughts:
It remains an open question, I think, what happens to the dedicated Intercontinental Ambassador program, to Regent’s program, and to the unpublished top level retained from Kimpton’s program as they’re trying to unify loyalty across IHG brands (renaming the program IHG One Rewards). But staying 20 nights at Holiday Inn Express properties, and redeeming points and then confirming suite upgrades at Intercontinentals and Kimptons represents huge value.
------
Expect all major blogs giving views without actual stay @ IHG-experience and not even pointing the guilty fingers to themselves at their broadcast of the AMB-trick
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 20, 2023 at 3:07 am
Old Sep 20, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
TBH I dont think this is a bad thing. During my recent stay at Kimpton Fitzroy I was very surprised to see a supplement on the free breakfast for almost all cooked to order dishes. If Diamond is restricted to those of us who earn it organically through nights or points a free breakfast might actually mean a free breakfast.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 6:10 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Besides verylyvke, now also LL has caught on.
Won't be to long before tout Boarding Area blogs+Insideflyer are up with torches and pitchforks,
calling for an outrage, reaching out to corporate,
heated rants, bye bye IHG, cancelling creditcards, calling it a joke and fleeing back to Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton/Accor
Me? After "spire" status nothing surprises me anymore so i'll just sit this one out from now

----
PS: did someone bother to inform and correct our great thoughtleader VFTW,
i did but it fell again on deaf ears....
https://viewfromthewing.com/ihg-now-...n-award-stays/
Besides above statement being a hazzard thoughtleadering guess without any actual IHG-stay experience,
more gems of no IHG experience, but with his leading thoughts:
It remains an open question, I think, what happens to the dedicated Intercontinental Ambassador program, to Regents program, and to the unpublished top level retained from Kimptons program as theyre trying to unify loyalty across IHG brands (renaming the program IHG One Rewards). But staying 20 nights at Holiday Inn Express properties, and redeeming points and then confirming suite upgrades at Intercontinentals and Kimptons represents huge value.
------
Expect all major blogs giving views without actual stay @ IHG-experience and not even pointing the guilty fingers to themselves at their broadcast of the AMB-trick
Now OMAAT have joined the party!

https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...nd-ambassador/
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:00 am

Lately i have had better experience receiving upgrades, late/early check-outs etc benefits with Hotels.com Gold membership rather than IHG Diamond status. Which says a lot. To top it off, majority of the Intercontinentals are rather tired and i would not stay with them even if i received the benefits. I really don't like when i have to ask or even "argue" with the front desk about the benefits which are clearly stated in the terms and conditions.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:03 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Lately i have had better experience receiving upgrades, late/early check-outs etc benefits with Hotels.com Gold membership rather than IHG Diamond status. Which says a lot. To top it off, majority of the Intercontinentals are rather tired and i would not stay with them even if i received the benefits. I really don't like when i have to ask or even "argue" with the front desk about the benefits which are clearly stated in the terms and conditions.
The only benefit with ihg is systemwide lounge access, and thay doesn't come with diamond either, on paper without that mythical upgrade policy, hilton's program is much better in the us as one can just get an aspire to get free diamond.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:10 am
HTL

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Best Western Diamond Select, Hertz Gold Plus 5*
I wonder if it is still worth parking the concern until the end of the year, does everyone remember all the activity regarding the Diamond rollover at the start of this year? Personally my IHG status displayed '31/12/2022' for a good few months into 2023 before the IT review period allegedly caught up and it was promptly changed to '31/12/2023'. Will be interesting to see if it works the same or whether the renewal process is truly over. I am aware those who already renewed prior to this week have had extensions into 2024 but still something to note for the rest of the remaining extensions into the New Year.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:13 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by HTL
I wonder if it is still worth parking the concern until the end of the year, does everyone remember all the activity regarding the Diamond rollover at the start of this year? Personally my IHG status displayed '31/12/2022' for a good few months into 2023 before the IT review period allegedly caught up and it was promptly changed to '31/12/2023'. Will be interesting to see if it works the same or whether the renewal process is truly over.
If this is the case, for those who never enrolled ambassador program, the best time to enroll would be Dec 2, as first enrollment gets your 13 month of ambassador validity While subsequent ones only 12 months.
HTL likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:17 am
HTL

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Best Western Diamond Select, Hertz Gold Plus 5*
Originally Posted by PES_B1
If this is the case, for those who never enrolled ambassador program, the best time to enroll would be Dec 2, as first enrollment gets your 13 month of ambassador validity While subsequent ones only 12 months.
Yes although unfortunately we really won't know until next year even if this is the case - it will be interesting to see what happens to the status for all the AMB renewals from this week (who are currently looking at '31/12/23' expiry for their IHG Diamond most likely) particularly once the IHG status window resets and moves into 2024, the hope is that it will be rolled over at that point (since they have already renewed in 2023). Or who knows it could be an unintentional IT error this week (to the unpublished IT glitch 😂) and it'll be BAU soon enough!
PES_B1 likes this.

Last edited by HTL; Sep 20, 2023 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Fast Track to Diamond

I wouldn't be surprised if this is ONLY the experience of those that signed up for the "FAST TRACK TO DIAMOND" exclusive link last year and then extended with ambassador. Those ambassador renewals are coming up for renewal and they are biting the bullet for the $200 and finding their diamond NOT extended.

Hopefully this will not be the experience for legit diamond status holders. (earned status originally)

Last edited by saecotech; Sep 20, 2023 at 8:51 am Reason: wording, sentence structure
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by saecotech
I wouldn't be surprised if this is ONLY the experience of those that signed up for the "FAST TRACK TO DIAMOND" exclusive link last year and then extended with ambassador. Those ambassador renewals are coming up for renewal and they are biting the bullet for the $200 and finding their diamond NOT extended.

Hopefully this will not be the experience for legit diamond status holders. (earned status originally)
for the record... the fast track came out around Oct 2022 last year.... meaning those renewals were already possible since July 2023
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
for the record... the fast track came out around Oct 2022 last year.... meaning those renewals were already possible since July 2023
True, but it is still within the range. I would suspect a majority of folks signed up in Nov 2022, and just now started going through with the extension. Time will tell.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saecotech

I'd like to think that (as a 'legit diamond status holder', but I wonder whether IHG IT would do that.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If Diamond status is not extended, then I probably will not renew because that was my main interest in joining Ambassador. My concern, however, is that I have a stay booked for January 2024 using my Ambassador free weekend night on that stay. Do I have to be an Ambassador at the time of the stay or will the free night be honored because I booked it while still an Ambassador?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Do I have to be an Ambassador at the time of the stay or will the free night be honored because I booked it while still an Ambassador?
You need to have a valid Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night Reward in your Wallet - if you look at it now, your will see it saying "Valid until xx/xx/xxxx".
When you check into the hotel, they will be looking to redeem that reward against your second weekend night in the booking - if there is nothing to redeem, you will have to pay in full.
The time of booking is of no relevance - one can book at the Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night Rate without being Ambassador as well.

For reference: https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...tions#comnight

25. Identification and member number must be presented upon check-in. The member must have an un-redeemed and valid Complimentary Weekend Night available within their IHG One Rewards account upon check-in. Should the member not have a valid and un-redeemed certificate in the member's IHG One Rewards account then the hotel's Best Flexible Rate shall be applied to all nights of the stay.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by PES_B1
I have absolutely no explanation, but it worked differently for me this last time around.

For background, I earned Platinum & then Spire organically through stays from 2008 or 2009 until 2016. In 2016 I switched most of my stays to Hilton family due to employer policy - but I use IHG as my backup and typically have 20-30 stays each year. Around that same time I heard about the Amb trick, so I paid for Ambassador with money or points each year from 2017 through now.

Here's the weird part - I renewed my Ambassador (with points this time, if it matters) on Oct 25, 2022. The next day (and since then) it shows my Diamond status as expiring on Dec 31, 2024. I am waiting to see if it updates after the 25th of next month or after Jan 1, but for the time being it appears that I got two full years out of my last renewal.

Also odd is that since I am only 35 days away from my "renewal date", the website should be offering me the chance to renew, but when I go to the Ambassador page it just says that my membership is current.

See below:

Again, no idea why it would be this way, but there it is.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.