Wiki Posts
Search

1 million points - best way to use

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
1 million points - best way to use

I am looking for ideas of the best way to use the 1 millions points I have accumulated. While I am based in California suggestions for locations/trips worldwide are appreciated.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
For anyone with 1 million points my advice is stop waiting, start traveling. That's too big a balance to carry as points only ever devalue.
Super Mario likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Use some points for the Los Angeles Intercontinental. Probably one of the most beautiful places I've visited and only 50-80k points/night. Have fun!
Super Mario likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I think that the use of points can be very different for people and purposes.

Many people who stay regularly for business, especially in budget hotels, may enjoy staying in luxury hotels for leisure.
With brands such as Six Senses, Regent, InterContinental, Kimpton and Mr and Mrs Smith, there are plenty of options.
But it should be noted that with dynamic pricing, 1 million points only gets you 8 to 15 free nights at these places at best. And the upgrade options will be limited if the status is not Diamond, or Royal Ambassador Inner Circle

As for me, I only use my points in the following cases:
- I use the points for unexpected last minute stays (like recently when I had to bring my stay in Vienna forward due to the air traffic control strike at CDG),
- I use the points to benefit from a very late check-out when I have a flight after 11pm,
- I invite friends to stay with me and offer them a separate room.

I have nearly a million points myself, which is actually quite stupid considering the devaluation of points, but I prefer to keep my Royal Ambassador status, which is much more valuable to me than the free nights.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
1 million points+ in account prepandemic,
cashed them all in during pandemic for staycation + family events:
1 million points could provide enough rooms in Amsterdam spread across all IHG hotels for family's Bar Mitswa,
to host for direct family, inlaws, extended family, the single cousins, the eligable bachelors, the not wanted houseguests for a couple of days.....

You can squeeze a lot of free nights out of HI/HIX/CP rewards booking for 1million+ points in Amsterdam as a saviour instead of to park your invitées at home,
If you add booking Kimpton / IC AMS on points , it depends on the dynamic pricing/season/events/period etc... to get the max benefit in amount of rooms/free nights.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HadesNL
the not wanted houseguests for a couple of days.....
Ahah
I had actually forgotten my adorable godson who is unexpectedly arriving in Paris for a few days with his (new) girlfriend, and who is looking for a nice, central place to stay...

And this nice central place will not be my appartment.
HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Sep 21, 2022 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:31 pm

Why not convert them into Airline Miles and use them for some nice First Class flights (if you can find availability)?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Use them in resorts where the lowest / second lowest tier room would be acceptable. Some people gravitate towards premium places like Bora Bora, but that doesn't mean you're getting an overwater bungalow. A place like the LA IC is likely to get a nice stay with a decent room.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Assuming you're not planning on kicking the bucket anytime soon, I'd say use them carefully and patiently. Anytime you can get better than .5 cents in value when using them (compared to the lowest paid rate), then you should do so.

Using points carefully is just as important as earning points carefully, though most people put more time and effort into the earning of points. Even with steady devaluation, there are almost always good ways to use points and miles (in almost every hotel or airline program). You don't have to wait for PointsBreaks to come back. Don't be frivolous with your points.

As mentioned by others, you can also use them for others.

I'm staying 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Express Sukhumvit Soi 11 in Bangkok for 5k points per night in November, with the 4th night free. And eventually (a few weeks or more after I stay) I should get a 10% rebate from having the old MC. It works out to 3,375 points per night I think. Other HIX's in Bangkok sometimes have 5k point nights available too.

The Holiday Inn Express Newport City near NAIA T3 in Manila is usually only 11k points per night.

The Crown Plaza Galleria Manila is only 15k-18k points per night and their lounge is open (if you have the 40 night milestone lounge award).

I'm patiently waiting for the Holiday Inn Silom in Bangkok to re-open their lounge.

There are some cheap HIX's in Singapore, where the average three and four star hotel rates are very high, also the HIX Taoyuan in Taiwan (though it's closed right now).
HadesNL likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Although the logic of getting .5 cents per point value etc.... seems more than valid,
The cost of not having to share the home boudoir with guests is priceless

I forgot to add you can use the points to book in stays during popular events / holidays / games / opera season / sports events
or especially Christmas / Easter / other countries public holidays where revenue rates can be high,
using points can be the better alternative,
just keep an eye on the award booking calendar when logged in on the IHG website
kevino likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
[QUOTE=HadesNL
The cost of not having to share the home boudoir with guests is priceless
[/QUOTE]

Very wise indeed to avoid problems before they arise, rather than sitting around and waiting for peace to break out (when the relatives leave).
HadesNL likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:59 am

In our early wedding days we had family come stay over, my lads were small so they could crash on the sofa. Family could use their room/bed to stay.
Yet we decided never again and use points to let family stay elsewhere because we experienced a daily morning queue and rush for the toilet/bathroom.
Our Amsterdam house has an old fashioned toilet/sink/shower closet combo where it is max 1 occupancy only......
When everyone is taking to long and one needs to prep for work/school/flight, your nerves and patience are tested to the max!
As much as i like everyone to give a chance for hygiëne not when i'm pressed for time....
That why points to keep guests out of the house in a hotel = priceless

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 21, 2022 at 5:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.