Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Denied check-in due to living too close to the hotel - HIE Roanoke Civic Center

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied check-in due to living too close to the hotel - HIE Roanoke Civic Center

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
What I have experienced a couple times are groups using a hotel room for a either a pre and/or post party room for a night out at the bars. The pre part isn’t a huge problem, but the post bar party was pretty disruptive. Took a couple calls to the front desk to get some action. It’s also a good way to stay off the radar of the police by dealing drugs out of a rotating location rather than out of one house.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
What I have experienced a couple times are groups using a hotel room for a either a pre and/or post party room for a night out at the bars. The pre part isn’t a huge problem, but the post bar party was pretty disruptive. Took a couple calls to the front desk to get some action.
A little data analysis demonstrating this disproportionately impacts one protected demographic group or another and the first big civil rights settlement will put an end to these policies.

OTOH, in Canadian major cities I've been charged $300 deposits in case of room damage at large hotels. I'm not talking about an incidental hold, but a charge. Now I think I know why.
ewoo likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Once, shortly after moving away, I returned to my previous city to tie up some loose ends. The hotel pushed back with my ID still showing a local address. After explaining the move and providing, verbally, my new address, they happily checked me in. YMMV
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:45 pm

Check in with a passport. Change the address for your loyalty account and maybe also your credit card billing address. Should anyway carry a passport card to use for ID in places you don’t want to give your address to.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by northinsouth
This rule is complete bunk: last Spring, I had to completely replace the roof of my house and the entire upstairs looked like a bomb hit it. We stayed at a local hotel for a few days and then at an Airbnb for a few more. Locals do have legit reasons for needing these accommodations, especially if one lives out in the distance suburbs or small towns and spent the night living it up on the town.
Yes. One of my employees stayed in hotels for six weeks after his house was struck by lightning.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I certainly believe there are issues with some local partiers or drug enthusiasts, but it seems unlikely to me that people who are planning a major illegal event or to trash a hotel room are checking in with elite status and legitimate ID.

In any event, the big problem here is that the hotel doesn't disclose this policy so you get taken by surprise at check in. What's worse is that they knew in advance of arrival that there was a conflict with the secret policy (as acknowledged by the front desk agents) and didn't do anything to warn the guest before arrival.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
This rule is complete bunk: last Spring, I had to completely replace the roof of my house and the entire upstairs looked like a bomb hit it. We stayed at a local hotel for a few days and then at an Airbnb for a few more. Locals do have legit reasons for needing these accommodations, especially if one lives out in the distance suburbs or small towns and spent the night living it up on the town.
In what could be a much more impactful problem, a few years ago I booked a room for my sister when her husband beat her up and she was in the process of leaving him. I would think that denying a room to a battered spouse - solely for the reason of a local address on the ID - could have the potential for a very bad look for the property if that person were to go back home and be further harmed
NWplatinum and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:22 pm

How strange, I never knew some hotels have this policy.
moe8555 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:58 pm

Booking on IHG.com is the best way to guarantee your room. If for any reason your reservation cannot be honored, IHG will provide you with a room and transportation to another convenient and comparable hotel. And, we’ll pay for the full cost of the first night’s lodging price, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded to you.
i wonder if you can take advantage of this. they aren't honoring your reservation
Doppy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
I can think of at least several mistresses worth of reasons...
You would think that would be none of their concern.
Checked into a Marriott property in Florida with my wife. FDC said, in a not particularly quiet voice, "And, I presume this is Mrs Ohmark? (pointing at my wife).
northinsouth likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Yes. One of my employees stayed in hotels for six weeks after his house was struck by lightning.
I stayed at a hotel two miles from house for two days last week as I had no power in my home.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ohmark
You would think that would be none of their concern.
Checked into a Marriott property in Florida with my wife. FDC said, in a not particularly quiet voice, "And, I presume this is Mrs Ohmark? (pointing at my wife).
Try checking into a hotel at 2am, after a 12 hour flight, as a 45 yo with my 22 yo sugar baby, her still in airline pajamas, clutching the $200 Steiff teddy bear I bought on board, only in that moment and bright light of the lobby realizing she now looks 14. 😂

In hindsight I'm shocked the clerk didn't ask for her ID, or call the cops. Then again, with the labor shortage the guy they managed to get working the front desk at that hour might have had no interest in seeing the police under any circumstances.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 20, 2022 at 6:30 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This policy is just annoying beyond belief. For an evening out at a local concert or other potentially alcohol related events, I will always book a room near the venue and walk/uber/taxi so that noone would need to take the risk of driving. I really would like hotels to post this policy so that I can simply avoid EVER staying there, regardless of why I need to be in their area.
Doppy, wrp96, DiamondMile and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Try checking into a hotel at 2am, after a 12 hour flight, as a 45 yo with my 22 yo sugar baby, her still in airline pajamas, clutching the $200 Steiff teddy bear I bought on board, only in that moment and bright light of the lobby realizing she now looks 14. 😂

In hindsight I'm shocked the clerk didn't ask for her ID, or call the cops. Then again, with the labor shortage the guy they managed to get working the front desk at that hour might have had no interest in seeing the police under any circumstances.
Well, 45 is old enough to assume she's your daughter Try being 25 with a 24yo gf who looked 16 -- hotel people didn't care, but we overheard relatives of the people whose wedding we were at were murmuring "she's too young to be in a hotel with him...". And then 30 with a 29yo wife (who still looked 16) on our honeymoon, the ladies at the Irish breakfast buffet quietly asking her if she was "okay" when I was away. This was many years ago. She let her hair go to its now-natural grey a few years ago partially to look her age...but then it was an "in" color for young people to die their hair so people thought she'd just spent a lot of money on it

Back to the topic here -- it's annoying for a hotel to have a rigid nonstandard policy, for all the reasons stated (perfectly valid reasons for normal people to take a local-cation, need a local hotel during construction, while moving to/from a place, etc). Yes, balanced against local people being perhaps more likely to get a room to party or do nefarious things. But it's negligent, deceptive and potentially fraudulent to not disclose that very clearly on all parts of their booking site, and to then enforce it as a surprise on arrival without finding and paying for alternate accomodations as with any other "walk".

OP, what did you end up doing -- finding an alternative hotel, or going home? That might determine what you could ask for in compensation. I assume the HIE didn't attempt to charge for the night and/or refunded any deposit (otherwise that would be true fraud, of course).
GUWonder, Fims, Fims and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by estrela
This shows what a run down place the US became. Very sad.
This kind of stuff has been done by hotels in the US since before most people in the US, Canada and Europe ever heard of email. I recall such hotel practices in parts of North America existing since at least the early 1980s.

Originally Posted by Doppy
I certainly believe there are issues with some local partiers or drug enthusiasts, but it seems unlikely to me that people who are planning a major illegal event or to trash a hotel room are checking in with elite status and legitimate ID.
From what I have known of hotels that went to such kind of practices, legitimate ID was being used most of the time for arranging for questionable parties and other activities in the run-up to a hotel or hotels transitioning to such kind of police, sometimes even transitioning at the urging of law enforcement. [Illegitimate ID use would ramp up after the change to such policy. ] Also, as law enforcement in the US increasingly got into the power-tripping business of civil asset forfeiture and was otherwise too given more powers from state legislatures for grabbing assets from increasingly foreign-origin hotel/motel owners, hotel owners/operators had even more reason to try to avoid questionable business from locals.

Even where I have seen hotels have anti-local stay practices where getting to the hotel primarily involves taking a car, I’ve been able to check-in by just showing a passport and/or passport card and seen other exceptions made at times. Maybe having an out-of-state birthplace has helped. Sometimes elite status in the hotel loyalty program has helped. And it hasn’t hurt to have non-local addresses on file with the hotel loyalty programs, at least in terms of the ability to check-in on rates for “non-locals”.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 21, 2022 at 3:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.