Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used toiletries for sale at IC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by nicolas75
La Prairie (formerly Sanofi Beauté) now belongs to the Beiersdorf group (owner of ...Nivea).

It has not been proven that expensive cosmetic products are more effective than cheap ones (provided they do not contain toxic ingredients).
I won't argue ....
But they seem to even turn my prunish face back into a peach that still attracts looks from S/O so it must be doing something!

But as the price is high and for some La Prairie editions eyewatering high, i can understand:
- the need to nick them from LH/LX F by persons
- to stop the need to nick them by displaying them without screwcaps
- the polite mention/signals not to nick them
(seen this once on a LX F flight to a not to be mentioned eastern destination]
After exiting the lavatories with a La Prairie tube but which fell out of the lady's purse due to sudden turbulence
No nonsense approach - seems FA was not surprised by this at all,
Stewardess:
Ma'am : you may like to know that the amenity kit also has individual ones for use and this one is now soiled because it has touched the floor and needs to be discarded and she removed it swiftly
Wow!

FA: told me on that certain route the La Priarie tube vanish % rate was so high, there were now instructions to remove the tubes from the lavatories during 2nd meal serving as usually after the 2nd meal service the tubes had a habit of checking off the planet.....
nicolas75 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
All this evokes memories of RA's emptying minibars into their bag before leaving: some even waited for the mini-bar to be re-stocked - and got upset if it wasn't

It was pretty clear that the spirits and the champagne splits weren't meant to brighten our trips home or stock home-based mini-bars, but ….. just a classier version of lifting the shampoo.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
IAN-UK i was fortunate to have experienced the RA minibar parties
plus the self service selection of blight spirits to accompany me home
i used to pick out at least 1 local brand/spirit to show off at home of each specific IC-hotel

some are still standing on display at my drinks cabinet,
whether they're still full or have been discretely nipped is anyone's guess
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Atacama40
If your mission is to just fleece everything I'd agree. But to ask and have the relationship or communication to be told yes and with clear reasoning as to why then I cannot see the issue. Other than the most important one, environmental, as said pages back. That's way bigger and more important. And I rarely lift now as the novelty wore off many years ago and I do give a stuff about environmental impacts.

But then the exception ..... daughter No'3 says she likes this Brydron stuff. I ask the GR or club lounge folks and like magic, it's on the coffee table left in the room. Life is simple. Same with pretty much anything .... hotel logoed or otherwise. Same with RA bears, candles, bags of biscuits, stoop waffles whatever. You work with them, they work with you.

But yes, spend and frequency does without a shadow of a doubt buy you a little flexibility, influence and extra consideration and a blind eye turned. It would be naďve to think otherwise, sorry to say. Over 30 odd years doing thousands of nights. I cannot believe it's all been just good luck. It's human contact, being a decent human being and you will get the appropriate response at every level from baggage guy to GM. And absolutely no-one is being put in a bad position. It's simple how it works.

And I'm not sure so many folks are bothering to do this anyway. I'm going to ask a friendly GM I know at a stay next week. Let's ask the question and see what he says. Genuine thing. And in fairness, if he left foots me with the answers, I'll let you know that as well. Will be interesting get it from the horses mouth.
I am just confused.

I do not think the housekeeping attendants in the hallways care/know about your spend and frequency, and why I would be naive to say that.

I agree that sometimes other people at a hotel may turn a blind eye to customers based on their loyalty or spend. And I am not sure what you are going to "ask" the friendly GM. "Is it reasonable for people to expect to take full-size toiletry bottles and not be charged?" We know what the GM of the hotel where this sign was posted thinks: no. If the question is, "is it alright if I Atacama40 have an extra bottle of this because my daughter loves it?", no one is arguing that you may get a yes.

Edit: I realized the last complaint about someone saying housekeeping allowed them to take *ten full size bottles* home from an IC, leading to a dispute, was not on FT, but on a website. You can see it here: https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/06/13/...oom-amenities/
ARR72 and MeltingAlf like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 19, 2022 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I am just confused.

I do not think the housekeeping attendants in the hallways care/know about your spend and frequency, and why I would be naive to say that.

I agree that sometimes other people at a hotel may turn a blind eye to customers based on their loyalty or spend. And I am not sure what you are going to "ask" the friendly GM. "Is it reasonable for people to expect to take full-size toiletry bottles and not be charged?" We know what the GM of the hotel where this sign was posted thinks: no. If the question is, "is it alright if I Atacama40 have an extra bottle of this because my daughter loves it?", no one is arguing that you may get a yes.
No may about it. Is always the case. As I say, I cannot ever remember it not being the case. Hotels know in or not known in.

Look I don't want to upset your approach. Is not my intention to do so or provoke. I just know what works, how to make it work and such that everyone wins. I honestly don't see any losers. Unless I got it wrong all this time.

And I will ask the senior management approach to counter top walkages, cost center impact, IHG central policy and his/her personal policy to this area/factor. That's all. The point of offering that was purely to get the other side of the debate, rather than us just exchanging war stories. I don't mean that in a rude or patronising way, it's good to share experiences, it was a genuine offer .... lets ask the question. You could do similar. I feel quietly confidence as to their approach and answer. My guess is they won't encourage it but they won't fight it. And for those f us fortunate/unfortunate enough to put the shift in, they will allow it very happily. But lets see.

This is all about people and relationships. I don't want to flog this or embarrass any people or hotels I've done exceptionally well out of this way of working and for many years as mentioned. And I'm 99% sure no-one ever got hurt or upset by it.

Actually I lie, there was one. There was an FOM (one of Hades countrymen ... apols Hades, third time have made reference to you today ) who was personally very upset that a hotel I put hundreds of nights in, I used to check in and out every day. Why so? To get 500 BA airmiles per day rather than per stay. He was visibly rattled by it .... no-one else was, least of all the GM who told him to pipe down. I did that for over three years and took my entire family to Dubai all in F. Unfair? Maybe. But I was spending Ł350 a night for (from memory) maybe 550+ nights. The maths and flexibility curves are clear and mirror.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
All this evokes memories of RA's emptying minibars into their bag before leaving: some even waited for the mini-bar to be re-stocked - and got upset if it wasn't

It was pretty clear that the spirits and the champagne splits weren't meant to brighten our trips home or stock home-based mini-bars, but ….. just a classier version of lifting the shampoo.
The secret was always a morning check in, empty the nice bottles and chocolate, leave the rubbish, call down for a mini bar refresh, go out the after noon and the same after work

Ok confession time. I once checked in (in the morning) .... my suite wasn't ready and got given a temp room to dump bags in. I liberated the mini bar as above. They moved me room. Then did the same refresh call. And then the early evening call to do same .... whilst in the club lounge.

Childish I know but it amused me at the time. Happy days now gone .... sigh.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
The point of offering that was purely to get the other side of the debate, rather than us just exchanging war stories. I don't mean that in a rude or patronising way, it's good to share experiences, it was a genuine offer .... lets ask the question. You could do similar. I feel quietly confidence as to their approach and answer. My guess is they won't encourage it but they won't fight it. And for those f us fortunate/unfortunate enough to put the shift in, they will allow it very happily. But lets see.

This is all about people and relationships. I don't want to flog this or embarrass any people or hotels I've done exceptionally well out of this way of working and for many years as mentioned. And I'm 99% sure no-one ever got hurt or upset by it.

I still have absolutely no idea what the "debate" you are having is. You are making points about people and relationships. That has nothing to do with a hotels rule that full size toiletries are not to be taken home for free. (I don't know what you have been doing "over many years", unless you have been taking full size toiletries from hotels for decades, which seems improbable.)

I concede that you are such a wonderful important and kind guest that you would be excused from that general rule upon asking. And if you are as gentle, polite, and big a spender as you suggest, I probably would also very sweetly tell you "Of course sir, whatever our guests ask it is our pleasure."

But the hotel that posted a sign that is at issue in this thread has a rule. You asking a GM at another hotel a question about....I'm not sure what...does not call the rule into question. Nor does it "upset my approach" of....not assuming everything that isn't bolted down at a hotel is there for me to take home if I am just nice enough to the staff.

This thread began "Is there any other way to interpret this sign" as opposed to an offer to sell used toiletries. As several of us have said, yes, travel experience and reading comprehension suggest the most natural way to interpret the sign is as "Do not take this big bottle home. You will be charged." There are a lot of words being talked about how great a customer you are- a delight to every bellman and known by face by every housekeeper in every hallway- but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
tom tulpe, ARR72 and MeltingAlf like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 19, 2022 at 4:51 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:57 pm

Edit: I realized the last complaint about someone saying housekeeping allowed them to take *ten full size bottles* home from an IC, leading to a dispute, was not on FT, but on a website. You can see it here: https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/06/13/...oom-amenities/
I forgot about that post :
Hysterical, you don't know if this was a comic or tragic story as it could swing both ways!
IC's big new Byredo pots are obvious not to take home though....
You could hit someone with those as they could be classified a dangerous weapon, a mace is nothing compared to those.

I used to nick some of IC Bali's Harnn Mystique flasks (I think IC resorts in Thailand still have those) but those were medium size.
Refillables from the look and function but i only took 1 complete set which stands proudly on top of the sink cabinet.

I don't know exactly how it works with housekeeping but they do have info sheets about occupancy, return guests, if having status [sometimes using the 6 continents code] about what type of preferences etc. In some cases also an inventory list of replenishables.

Atacama40 : that certain hotel with that certain chair has invited me to pass out and snooze !
And about Dutchies: yes it is always : dat is niet mogelijk : it is not possible

And i also have enjoyed the joys of checking in and out daily on a long workstay as to just get to miles racked up funny strategy though but mostly the club lounge reception can appreciate it, also a good tease for our accountant !
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 19, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:58 pm

This is why I always travel with an empty 250ml bottle to decant any shower gel that I particularly like from hotels.

The bottles from Aveda are excellent - slender, with big opening, easy to store due to its uniform curvature, but hardy and leak proof.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I am just confused.

/
I’ve had housekeeping at a Holiday Inn Express of all places accidentally leave behind a guest list that included not only special requests but also status level of the room occupants. I’d expect a similar list at an IC to be a lot more detailed than a HIX.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I’ve had housekeeping at a Holiday Inn Express of all places accidentally leave behind a guest list that included not only special requests but also status level of the room occupants. I’d expect a similar list at an IC to be a lot more detailed than a HIX.
To clarify, I was responding to the suggestion that people walking in the hallways and helping themselves to things off the cart were recognized for their status and kindness. A list wouldn't help unless it had photos of the Guests housekeeping was asked to memorize.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigdog2
I know some real tacticians who have turned to bringing reusable toiletry bottles with them to fill up from the full sized Le Labo or Aesop lotion bottles they encounter.

I recall attending an event at a Fairmont a few years ago and some people swiped up all the mini Le Labo Rose 31 lotion bottles from the public restrooms. A few years later I'm back at the same Fairmont and now they carry generic soaps and hand lotions in the public restrooms.
Le Labo must be flogging their hotel sized amenities at a hefty discount, as I'm seeing them in more and more mid-range hotels.

Where lesser brands spend 3 cents on ingredients, Le Labo spends 5.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachmouse
IHG member status or "posh" vs "yobs, better count the towels"?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Refillable multi-guest containers are absolutely disgusting.

Who knows what some freak may have put in there, getting off on the notion of others spreading it on their body 🤮.
Quite a few hotels offer moisturizer individual use bottles, and shampoo/conditioner/body wash in a jug.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
IHG member status or "posh" vs "yobs, better count the towels"?
IIRC, it was member status or lack thereof. And that there were a pretty high number of Spires staying at a pleasant but nondescript HIX in the Tampa exurbs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.