Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Platinum/Ambassador - Award Booking - Upgrade chance IC vs Kimpton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I have IHG Platinum status and am in the IC Ambassador program (NOT royal, just regular). If I'm making an award booking, am I any more likely to be upgraded at check in at an IC vs a Kimpton?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:28 am

Kimpton hotels will not recognize Ambassador membership, but will allow you to use your certificates there.

Kimptons can only your non Ambassador status in IHG Rewards (Plat, Gold, Diamond). They have their own invitation rewards program called Inner Circle.

At an IC, if youre a Plat Ambassador, you are a few steps behind others in priority (Royal and Diamond Ambassadors) but are still guaranteed a one cat upgrade and 4PM Checkout nonetheless, per terms. Also, reward bookings are not subject to Ambassador upgrades, but Ive personally never had an issue.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProjectSunburst
Kimpton hotels will not recognize Ambassador membership, but will allow you to use your certificates there.

Kimptons can only your non Ambassador status in IHG Rewards (Plat, Gold, Diamond). They have their own invitation rewards program called Inner Circle.

At an IC, if youre a Plat Ambassador, you are a few steps behind others in priority (Royal and Diamond Ambassadors) but are still guaranteed a one cat upgrade and 4PM Checkout nonetheless, per terms. Also, reward bookings are not subject to Ambassador upgrades, but Ive personally never had an issue.
The terms say on an award booking at an IC the upgrade is only if available at check in
Then again, the IC San Diego also says it is only if available at check in and that they can just opt to give the 20k points, so other than the 20k points I don't know if the Ambassador upgrade at check in on an award booking is typically treated as a real upgrade like on a cash booking or I might as well just stay at the Kimpton across the street and save 45k points.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Upgrade Availability

I never had any problem with getting a suite upgrade off of a reward night stay at the IC San Diego as a platinum ambassador. I have always slipped a $100 in between my credit card and ID, however
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saecotech
I never had any problem with getting a suite upgrade off of a reward night stay at the IC San Diego as a platinum ambassador. I have always slipped a $100 in between my credit card and ID, however
LOL, IC San Diego is telling me this on a cash booking (well they told me its only if available at check in, and then when I reached out to IHG they said yeah they can choose to give you the 20k instead as a plan even though there's availability now), the reward booking is elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.