Points Booking with Small Children - Problem

Old Jul 23, 22, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Points Booking with Small Children - Problem

Are we no longer able to book award stays with small children for free? My wife and I are trying to book a Crowne Plaza (Grand Arenas - near Nice Airport) for 2 adults and our 2 year old, but the system doesn't allow it. For any combo of 2 people (2 adults or 1 adult and child) it's fine. For 2 adults and 1 child, the points mechanism gets disabled.

This might be a new feature. I seem to remember in the recent past, they always asked the age of the child during the booking. Now, the system no longer asks the age. I'm curious if IHG has changed their policy recently?
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Could it be due to them needing to provide a non-standard room to accommodate 3? Only standard rooms are bookable with points.
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:43 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Are we no longer able to book award stays with small children for free?
Up to two children stay free when sharing a room with up to two adults at any of the Participating Hotels, subject to maximum room occupancy restrictions and subject to availability

Baby crib/cot is complimentary while rollaway beds may be chargeable.

IHG terms and conditions
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:58 am

Programs: AAGld1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Expl, ALL Gld
If you look at the standard room they are offering for an award, the maximum occupancy of that room is 2 people. That is why the website will not show an award available if you enter 3+ people.

You run into this sometimes - though usually it is a max occupancy of 3 in Europe or Asia when you are trying to book for 4 (2 adults and 2 young kids). Though one time in Dublin I ran into a max occupancy of 2 with my then 5 year old -- when I contacted the hotel they had no issue with him joining us, but he either had to share the king bed with us, or due to room size they would provide a blow-up air mattress but not a roll-away bed.

Does your 2 year old sleep in the bed with you? Or do you need a crib or roll-away? I would contact the hotel and see what your options are? Most likely they would let a 2 year old join as the 3rd person if using existing bedding. Size of the room might be an issue if you need the crib/roll-away. The difference in cash price between the Standard Room and the 1 Queen Bed Standard Single Sofa Bed, which has an occupancy of 3, is only 26 EUR for the night I just did a test search for -- so they may also let you book the award and then pay the difference for the upgraded room (I have done that several times at IHG properties).
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There is absolutely no problem if a young child is sharing bedding and/or you've brought your own. Just book for 2 adults.

If you want a rollaway, then the hotel starts running into issues with fire regulations and max occupancy per room.
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuckho View Post
If you look at the standard room they are offering for an award, the maximum occupancy of that room is 2 people. That is why the website will not show an award available if you enter 3+ people.

You run into this sometimes - though usually it is a max occupancy of 3 in Europe or Asia when you are trying to book for 4 (2 adults and 2 young kids). Though one time in Dublin I ran into a max occupancy of 2 with my then 5 year old -- when I contacted the hotel they had no issue with him joining us, but he either had to share the king bed with us, or due to room size they would provide a blow-up air mattress but not a roll-away bed.

Does your 2 year old sleep in the bed with you? Or do you need a crib or roll-away? I would contact the hotel and see what your options are? Most likely they would let a 2 year old join as the 3rd person if using existing bedding. Size of the room might be an issue if you need the crib/roll-away. The difference in cash price between the Standard Room and the 1 Queen Bed Standard Single Sofa Bed, which has an occupancy of 3, is only 26 EUR for the night I just did a test search for -- so they may also let you book the award and then pay the difference for the upgraded room (I have done that several times at IHG properties).
Correct. I did dummy bookings in France on different dates, but should have realized it might be a France (or Europe) wide constraint. Surprised by this, as I've always had the notion that Europe is more accommodating to those with small children.

She won't be able to sleep on a normal hotel bed, as it's too high and she's an active sleeper. She's in a crib at the moment.
Thanks for the info. I will contact the hotel to ask.
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:15 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
There is absolutely no problem if a young child is sharing bedding and/or you've brought your own. Just book for 2 adults.

If you want a rollaway, then the hotel starts running into issues with fire regulations and max occupancy per room.
This is terrible advice outside the US. There are places that can and will enforce total number of occupants regardless of age. Generally in the US, you can do this without a problem
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler View Post
This is terrible advice outside the US. There are places that can and will enforce total number of occupants regardless of age. Generally in the US, you can do this without a problem
As someone who travels regularly in Europe with a 2 year-old, I know of what I write...

Older children / extra adults requiring bedding is one thing. A small child sharing the parents bed is not a problem.

Absolute worst case scenario is a hotel wants to charge more to upgrade your room. Not nearly as bad as never being able to spend points because of how computer systems are designed.
Old Jul 28, 22, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAGld1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Expl, ALL Gld
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
She won't be able to sleep on a normal hotel bed, as it's too high and she's an active sleeper. She's in a crib at the moment.
Also check out The Shrunks toddler travel bed. Might be worth the investment if you will be traveling a lot with your daughter the next few years.
Old Jul 28, 22, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuckho View Post
Also check out The Shrunks toddler travel bed. Might be worth the investment if you will be traveling a lot with your daughter the next few years.
thanks for the tip. That looks great for car trips. Well have to figure out it if worth the space in luggage to haul around europe.

For anyone that is curious, a simple email to the hotel did the trick. No problem to add a crib to the room for a 2 adult award booking. Seems just like an IT simplification that unfortunately creates this small hassle for those with wee ones.
Jon Maiman and AsiaTraveler like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:11 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
[QUOTE=Flamenguista;34467151
For anyone that is curious, a simple email to the hotel did the trick. No problem to add a crib to the room for a 2 adult award booking.[/QUOTE]

Good news.
Do not hesitate to share your future experience on the hotels specific thread.

Search this Thread