InterContinental not offering Diamond benefits as RA?

Old Jul 22, 22, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
InterContinental not offering Diamond benefits as RA?

I'm currently staying at an InterContinental on a work trip for the Navy as an RA with Club Access for 20 nights. When I asked about my Diamond benefits (specifically the Welcome Amenity Choice of a drink. Thought a free drink at the pool would be nice), they said since I am already RA and get Club Lounge benefits (with breakfast) plus minibar, I get no additional Diamond benefits. Any other experiences with this?

Last edited by VaBeachGirl; Jul 23, 22 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 22, 22, 1:00 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I guess I never asked about adding Diamond benefits to RA ones but it hasnt been offered apart from welcome points
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 8:48 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl View Post
I'm currently staying at an InterContinental as an RA with Club Access for 20 nights. When I asked about my Diamond benefits (specifically the $20 F&B credit - here for 20 nights! Thought a few free drinks at the pool would be nice), they said since I am already RA and get Club Lounge benefits (with breakfast) plus minibar, I get no additional Diamond benefits. Any other experiences with this?
The $20 F&B credit is an Ambassador benefit, not a Diamond benefit, and is once per stay, not per day. I don't see why you wouldn't get it as an RA but I haven't delved deep into the Ambassador/RA T&Cs. The Diamond benefit you should get is the Welcome Amenity. As you already have breakfast via Club lounge access, you would presumably take the points - 600 per stay for an IC.
dw and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:14 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

Too much champagne in the club lounge? 😅

At no point do the Terms & Conditions mention a USD 20 credit, per day or per stay, for Diamond guests.

Perhaps are you talking about the Food & Beverage Rewards that are unlocked after every 10 stays?

But these rewards cannot be used yet, and in any case they can only be used once (they are in fact just discount coupons).

Last edited by nicolas75; Jul 23, 22 at 12:21 am
Old Jul 23, 22, 2:20 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ninjalad View Post
I guess I never asked about adding Diamond benefits to RA ones but it hasnt been offered apart from welcome points
Because there are no Diamond benefits above Royal Ambassador benefits.
Old Jul 23, 22, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
IIRC from my last stay at an IC (in March)

I was given a $20 F&B room credit - for the stay not per night. Think it was just taken off the bill at the end of the stay and not an actual voucher.
after they saw I had spent money at the bar

As a then Spire I was also given a voucher for a free drink at the bar.which was a voucher and needed handing over. This was the 'welcome amenity'
Old Jul 23, 22, 3:41 am

Funny, just recalling last stay at a new IC resort where I (unintentionally) made the same request .... 20 or $ whatever it was. And they did indeed apply it to each day of stay in error. Think was about 12 days. They seemed confused at the time but didn't argue it. I only mentioned in passing, it wasn't a big deal.

Then of course when I actually bothered to look, they had applied every aspect of RA perfectly, and had applied the $20 for each day ... at my incorrect but gently phrased request!

Felt a bit bad about that. Not bad enough to write and suggest to adjust but just bad
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
The $20 F&B credit is an Ambassador benefit, not a Diamond benefit, and is once per stay, not per day. I don't see why you wouldn't get it as an RA but I haven't delved deep into the Ambassador/RA T&Cs. The Diamond benefit you should get is the Welcome Amenity. As you already have breakfast via Club lounge access, you would presumably take the points - 600 per stay for an IC.
It was actually the Diamond Welcome Amenity choice I was asking about. Edited my original post. Choice of breakfast, points or drink. Was hoping for a free drink at the pool.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
Because there are no Diamond benefits above Royal Ambassador benefits.
Welcome Amenity choice of a free drink! I'm here for 20 nights and $200 minibar credit will not last long
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 8:36 am

Welcome Amenity choice of a free drink! I'm here for 20 nights and $200 minibar credit will not last long
You receive this free drink as Royal Ambassador if you do not opt for 600 points at check-in (as I did recently at superb Le Dme bar at InterContinental Lyon - Htel Dieu).

This drink generally should be taken accordingly indications written on the coupon (most generally, only at lobby bar).

But that's quite different from a hypothetical USD20 discount.
Old Jul 23, 22, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Im struggling to comprehend this. Youre on a 20 night IC stay, the cost of which is presumably many thousand $, and youre worried about the cost of one free drink by the pool?
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:16 am

I'm here for 20 nights and $200 minibar credit will not last long
When there is a club lounge, I rarely even touch the minibar (as I do at InterContinental Barcelona, where I am currently).

But its true that, when there is no lounge, at properties where minibar displays just steep prices, the limit can be easily reached.
VaBeachGirl and Raynyan like this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Jul 23, 22 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 23, 22, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy View Post
Im struggling to comprehend this. Youre on a 20 night IC stay, the cost of which is presumably many thousand $, and youre worried about the cost of one free drink by the pool?
Work trip for the Navy. A beer at the pool is $15. Yes, I can pay for it but it's the principle of a $15 beer 😆
Atacama40 and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
You receive this free drink as Royal Ambassador if you do not opt for 600 points at check-in (as I did recently at superb Le Dme bar at InterContinental Lyon - Htel Dieu).

This drink generally should be taken accordingly indications written on the coupon (most generally, only at lobby bar).

But that's quite different from a hypothetical USD20 discount.
Wasn't given an option at check in and didn't think about it since I just landed in Bahrain it 530am after 35 hours of travel from the US. Asked later and was told the Welcome Amenity is not offered to RAs
Old Jul 23, 22, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy View Post
Have to say, I'd still chase the $20 just out of principle and sport even on a 20 night stay, RA and the whole 9 yards. Surely this is the quintessence of being an FT'er

But then again you talking to a bloke who still cannot leave a pen, pencil mini bar surplus, or decent soaps after near 30 years and many thousands of stops. The novelty just never goes

Search this Thread