Voco Seoul Gangnam - Master Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Voco Seoul Gangnam - Master Thread

I stayed here because I needed to be in the Sinsa Gangnam area. Itís very popular with SEA tourists and domestic staycationers. The Premium King bedrooms were small but functional. I think their Base single room is even tighter as a solo traveler, but the Premium king room has more space to move around. If IHG is aiming for the Moxy/Motto kinds of spaces, this size is very competitive in Gangnam, but it's smaller than what youíre getting at the ICs for instance. Voco also seems to be competitive against Andaz Seoul with a better free minibar since they give you domestic beer and makkoli. Personally, I think Voco does a much better job at being an artsy premium lifestyle brand than that Andaz.

The yellow pops of color kept things interesting and modern, and the overall design did uplifting and energizing, especially against the grey monsoon skies. It felt like the designers had put some thought into the details, from the sliding closet door that also closes off the bedroom to the use of color to the lighting system.

Ice machines are also found in selected communal kitchens eg. 9th floor.

Premium One King bedroom with bathtub

I donít really recommend this room because itís basically a shower/tub combination and the water goes everywhere.

Premium One bedroom w/ Hinoki bath

Thankfully, this room also comes with a separate shower booth too. The hinoki wood smell is enchanting.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 6, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Had an excellent first stay at the voco Seoul Gangnam last month. Booked one night using IHG points - fantastic value IMHO at 16k points/night. Upgraded to a beautiful King Premium with hinoki bath tub at check-in without having to ask. While the room itself was a little tight (30sqm) for the largest non-suite room type here - the tub was amazing and nicer than some hinoki tubs I've enjoyed in upscale ryokans. Complimentary beverages/snacks in the room, including some beer and canned makgeolli. Diamond amenity also included a bottle of wine in the room and I selected a drink voucher for the lobby bar - which actually included a decent amount of drink options to select from (breakfast was another option, but I had an early flight from Incheon). Excellent service overall and the hotel was practically empty. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again on a longer stay, assuming the location worked for my plans.

-FlyerBeek
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It can be a little absurdly priced on weekend though because they do brisk SE, EA medical plastic surgery tourism and group tours. I would not pay over 300 USD to stay here. Half of that would be fair for what this hotel is.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A tribute to [MENTION=329203]HadesNL[/MENTION] and nicolas75 . Photographing almost everything at Voco Seoul for the community.

Breakfast

The spread is very simple but edible. All the Korean hits are there including kimchi fried rice, bulgogi and seaweed soup. A fresh egg station is always appreciated and fresh strawberries too.

HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 3, 2023 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fitness center

Just very small and cramped but expected for a select service property.

HadesNL likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DIY Laundry Room

2 sets of washers and dryers. Cash only and the functions are translated to English.

3000 won to wash
3000 won to dry
1000 won for detergent and a dryer sheet

Old Mar 3, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

First floor Terrace

The only IHG property in Korea with outdoor terrace seating and a DJ at night.

HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 3, 2023 at 10:42 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Aventine thank you for the most honourable mention!
I hereby humbly accept this heirloom

i can't speak for my friendly rival & muse nicolas75 but i begin to realize we are about to get some serious competition!

Thank you so much for the photos,
Interesting to see each Voco hotel in such different incarnations.....

Glad the washer instructions have some English .... imagine the kimono put in and comes out like a handkerchief
It looks like an interesting hotel, thank you for your useful visual documentation!

PS: unfortunately visited South Korea only once to see 선덕왕 Queen Seondeok of Shilla's astronomical tower in Gyeongju (love the history in the region) a bit of a trek from IC Grand Parnas but still good to bump into K-Pop's Wondergirls & BTS
Aventine likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Mar 8, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

VOCO Seoul parking elevator + lot

Valet only. 15000 KRW won per day. 10 regular spaces, 3 disabled spots, 1 EV charging space + parking elevator.

J1772 7kw charger that costs 430 KRW/kw. It's a bit expensive (for slow charging) and requires using a QR code to start.
Probably least useful for foreign tourists without a car.

HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 8, 2023 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Aventine thank you for the most honourable mention!
I hereby humbly accept this heirloom

i can't speak for my friendly rival & muse nicolas75 but i begin to realize we are about to get some serious competition!

Thank you so much for the photos,
Interesting to see each Voco hotel in such different incarnations.....

Glad the washer instructions have some English .... imagine the kimono put in and comes out like a handkerchief
It looks like an interesting hotel, thank you for your useful visual documentation!

PS: unfortunately visited South Korea only once to see 선덕왕 Queen Seondeok of Shilla's astronomical tower in Gyeongju (love the history in the region) a bit of a trek from IC Grand Parnas but still good to bump into K-Pop's Wondergirls & BTS
​@HadesNL No one is matching you or your muse for sheer photo and review quality. I'm, but, a mere IHG novice compared to you guys.

Pretty impressed that you went to Gyeongju to see 첨성대. I actually prefer this hotel to IC Grand Parnas because Parnas is like a zoo on the weekends. Voco is much more relaxed and quiet.
HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 8, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Old May 10, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just noticed the Voco Seoul Gangnam is now only offering the single bed deluxe room type (maximum occupancy of one) for point reservations. Disappointing considering the marginal difference in room rate for a nearly identically sized (+32sqft) two single bed deluxe room that accommodates two.

I thought IHG's policy allowed double occupancy on award nights? Any easy workarounds to book a award reservation for two here?

-FlyerBeek
Old May 10, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Just noticed the Voco Seoul Gangnam is now only offering the single bed deluxe room type (maximum occupancy of one) for point reservations. Disappointing considering the marginal difference in room rate for a nearly identically sized (+32sqft) two single bed deluxe room that accommodates two.

I thought IHG's policy allowed double occupancy on award nights? Any easy workarounds to book a award reservation for two here?

-FlyerBeek
just hope for an upgrade? which seems likely if you are a diamond?
Old May 13, 2023, 5:19 pm

Looks like the voco Seoul Gangnam is now allowing point reservations with double occupancy. Books into a Queen Bed Deluxe Accessible (so you need to have accessible rooms toggled on when searching). Unsure if my complaint to IHG had anything to do with it, but glad to see it's back.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 13, 2023, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Looks like the voco Seoul Gangnam is now allowing point reservations with double occupancy. Books into a Queen Bed Deluxe Accessible (so you need to have accessible rooms toggled on when searching). Unsure if my complaint to IHG had anything to do with it, but glad to see it's back.

-FlyerBeek
Most likely you won't see that Deluxe Accessible but decline the Premium Bathtub shower combo as an upgrade. Just an awful bathroom design and water gets everywhere.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Most likely you won't see that Deluxe Accessible but decline the Premium Bathtub shower combo as an upgrade. Just an awful bathroom design and water gets everywhere.
Thanks. I was very happy with the elite recognition here during my stay last September. I actually really liked the room with hinoki bath (photos posted earlier on this thread), and I'm planning to reach out to see if I can just pay the price difference to upgrade to that room ahead of time.

-FlyerBeek

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.