Community
Wiki Posts
Search

feel like I’ve been stiffed - Ambassador free weekend night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by demue
This is exactly the point, OP, look at the confirmation you received from IHG right after you made the AMB booking. That will show each nights cost. Based on that you can see what night 1 and night 2 rates were originally and see from there if you have a case or not.

More likely than not, the second night costs similar around the first, maybe a bit lower and you didn't notice (maybe). Hence, you paying 425€ would be correct as that was the booked rate for night 1. Beyond validating that part, no use to speculate and the hotel manager may really be telling the truth that the property only collects a measly 58€ for night 2 in compensation. Sounds about right actually.
Saturday night at the IC Dublin is likely to be higher (now pricing around €540 for the 23rd) so the OP is paying the lower of the true public rates. €58 is likely what they will get from IHG and the amount that they will account for in the Sales Ledger, I've seen this with my own stays, and the hotel manager will have been telling the truth. Remember that 'price' and 'value' are not the same and the physical room amenity and level of services provided doesn't move up and down in parallel with the headline rate just because it's a busy weekend.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
OP here, thanks for all the replies. I’ve accepted that it wasn’t foul play, the confirmation, with the second night showing a minimal sum not reflecting the true amount, is unlike any I’ve seen before when booking an Amb BOGO weekend and hence the confusion. I should also have paid more attention when booking, after weeks of there being no availability it suddenly came up and I did it very quickly and very late at night.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
OP here, thanks for all the replies. I’ve accepted that it wasn’t foul play, the confirmation, with the second night showing a minimal sum not reflecting the true amount, is unlike any I’ve seen before when booking an Amb BOGO weekend and hence the confusion. I should also have paid more attention when booking, after weeks of there being no availability it suddenly came up and I did it very quickly and very late at night.
But you still haven’t said what the rates were when you actually booked. Can you share this please, so others can better understand what has been applied?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But you still haven’t said what the rates were when you actually booked. Can you share this please, so others can better understand what has been applied?
Sorry, I can’t remember and no way of finding out now.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This has happened to me every time too. Just remind the hotel you are on a buy the first night get the 2nd night free rate and they should manually adjust the 2nd night to zero.
Should not be necessary, although certainly doesn't hurt to double-check. The BOGO bookings clearly state (quoting from my own upcoming reservation) "FULL COST OF BOOKING WILL BE DISPLAYED UPON RESERVATION. SECOND NIGHT WILL BE CREDITED TO BILL."
The rate is first night paid, second night free as a credit on the final bill. It doesn't matter if the second night rate is shown as 58 euros or 580 euros, you won't be paying any of it.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bob12403
Should not be necessary, although certainly doesn't hurt to double-check. The BOGO bookings clearly state (quoting from my own upcoming reservation) "FULL COST OF BOOKING WILL BE DISPLAYED UPON RESERVATION. SECOND NIGHT WILL BE CREDITED TO BILL."
The rate is first night paid, second night free as a credit on the final bill. It doesn't matter if the second night rate is shown as 58 euros or 580 euros, you won't be paying any of it.
In the case of my booking, from my perspective as a customer, as well as the second night cost being wrong the ‘full cost’ was wrong, as was the ‘average nightly rate’. Why provide these figures if they’re wrong?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I just checked out of a HIX in south Florida having used a free night for one night. I got an invoice under my door overnight charging me $25 and using my Mastercard to settle it. This was obviously what IHG paid them for the stay, but somehow night auditing billed me for it rather than billing IHG. They fixed it in the morning, but this does happen.

So, you should have paid the first night but, probably not, the 58.

the bigger problem with these IC “free weekend night” is that they have to be booked at full rack rate. These are often 50% higher than many discount rates. So, you really only get about a half night free compared to a typical discount booking.

in ten years, I have never bothered to use one.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Apr 10, 2022 at 12:25 pm
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Do you not have a copy in your email inbox?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The initial booking confirmation you receive from IHG for your AMB FWNC booking will not be wrong. It will show exactly the rates you booked for both nights.

The modification of the 2nd night rate and the total only happens later, via a manual process done by the hotel. Hence, your booking confirmation shows each nights original rate, unmodified so to say. Not sure how much clearer we can make that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.