Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Cancel Multiday Award Booking Day of Check In and Get Points Refunded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

I have 2 rooms booked for 7 nights each, both on points, for 4 family members. I have the opportunity to upgrade one room to a 2 bedroom suite but it may not be confirmed until check in. If I get upgraded I will not need the second room and could cancel it. I understand that I would most likely lose the points for the first night's stay but would the points for the other six nights be refunded if canceled?

The cancellation policy is "canceling your reservation before 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on the day before check in will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on the day before check in, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card or other guaranteed payment method."

Has anyone done this and does it work satisfactorily?

This is an eStandby upgrade for $80 extra per night which includes breakfast and Club access so it kind of seems worth it. I am IHG Spire (not Ambassador) and am staying at a Crown Plaza Republique Paris. There is a possibility of a complementary upgrade as well...
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:38 pm

Are you hoping to get a free upgrade to the 2 bedroom for 7 nights?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Free upgrade would be nice but they are also offering a standby upgrade for $80 per night which seems reasonable. End up paying g $80 per night to gain back 200k points, breakfast and club included and have a larger room though now with 4 people instead of 2 each in 2 rooms.

Main question is will I get all of the points back (except for the first night) for one of the rooms if cancelled upon check in if the other room is upgraded sufficiently to fit 4 people..
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:56 pm

No way you get that free upgrade at CP Republique. You must likely will get a room with Lounge and breakfast, though.
Haven't had a similar experience myself, but I believe you would get all the points back but get charged for the first night at the rack rate.
Have you considered reaching out to the hotel and asking directly about the upgrade, if they could confirm it earlier?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by klanfa
No way you get that free upgrade at CP Republique. You must likely will get a room with Lounge and breakfast, though.
Haven't had a similar experience myself, but I believe you would get all the points back but get charged for the first night at the rack rate.
Have you considered reaching out to the hotel and asking directly about the upgrade, if they could confirm it earlier?
Exactly how I would view it as well, sound advise. To the OP, with points bookings, usually you get all points back and are charged a first night cash rate, probably best flexible rate.

Hence, it makes absolute sense to reach out to the hotel reservation / sales team and try to come to a paid upgrade agreement in advance for the 2 bedroom suite.

You don't even have to talk about your second room, just use one of your reservations and talk about that one, but explain that occupancy would be 4 adults. The 80€ price may be based on the current 2 pax occupancy for the booked room I assume and you can expect the upgrade cost to increase a bit for 4 pax.

If you settle this prior to your cancellation deadline for the second room then you'll do just that after you have written confirmation from the hotel on the agreed paid upgrade. Hope it works out well. YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kdad
Free upgrade would be nice but they are also offering a standby upgrade for $80 per night which seems reasonable. End up paying g $80 per night to gain back 200k points, breakfast and club included and have a larger room though now with 4 people instead of 2 each in 2 rooms.

Main question is will I get all of the points back (except for the first night) for one of the rooms if cancelled upon check in if the other room is upgraded sufficiently to fit 4 people..
I believe the official policy for no show or late cancel is all points refunded and a money penalty for 1 night room and tax. The above 2 posts are giving excellent advice by 3 pm the day before check in you should be able to receive an answer on the upgrade question by contacting the property.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
Is it possible to rebook one room to 1 night + 6 nights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.