Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA InterContinental Appi Kogen Resort (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
ANA InterContinental Appi Kogen Resort (Master Thread)

Suddenly open on 25th Feb.2022.

This hotel opening date has been postponed again and again, but now suddenly will open today without any announcement in advance.

Moreover, recent disclosed photos of the rooms (now withdrawn) are far from original trailer rendering.

Let's talk about this hotel with turbulent beginning.
nicolas75 likes this.

Last edited by Raynyan; Feb 24, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Official news release

https://www.ihgplc.com/en/news-and-m...gion-of-tohoku
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raynyan
Suddenly open on 25th Feb.2022.

This hotel opening date has been postponed again and again, but now suddenly will open today without any announcement in advance.

Moreover, recent disclosed photos of the rooms (now withdrawn) are far from original trailer rendering.

Let's talk about this hotel with turbulent beginning.
Thanks for the heads up. Having read the article and hearing your "ominous" statements that renderings and recent pictures differ, I'm worried that the rotenburo didn't happen in room which was a highlight for sure (at least for me personally).
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you for the Twitter link. The suite is much less open, not as attractive I can understand. I'm not in the market for one (paid, don't mind upgrade ) so a bit less of a turn off for me.

Would have loved the rotenburo in all rooms, but like Beppu they changed it to Premium category only, oh well. We shall see, maybe paying the difference here will be less of an issue as all rooms are Club even the Classic ones. Beppu is first on the list for a visit anyways.

Btw, I was looking at CP Appi rooms and saw the Japanese style Duplex suite also has a nice rotenburo and for next few weeks goes for 27++k JPY. Not bad though the hotel design is something from a different area.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Btw, I was looking at CP Appi rooms and saw the Japanese style Duplex suite also has a nice rotenburo and for next few weeks goes for 27++k JPY. Not bad though the hotel design is something from a different area.
Agree. I think it’s better to stay at CP Appi’s Japanese Duplex Suite. That’s much cheaper than Classic Rooms of IC’s one.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

ANA InterContinental Appi Kogen Resort

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Inner Circle Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, but still many parts need to improve.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked Premium Suite with Private Garden, received Presidential Suite.

How are the rooms?
309sqm huge suite with 5m high ceiling living room, kitchenette, study room, bathroom with hinoki wood bathtub, walk-in closet, 2 queen beds bedroom and private rooftop terrace. (But almost covered by snow this time.)

Video of the Presidential Suite

How is the exec. lounge?
This hotel is “All Club products”. All guests granted complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails. Therefore, no individual Club Lounge facilities. Just Lobby lounge and restaurant covered the Club products function. Be aware “All Club products” doesn’t mean “All Inclusive”. So lunch and dinner need to pay.

How was the mini-bar?
Crazy expensive, Champagne and wines are demi bottle but prices are full bottle class. Selection is not so attractive.

What was your welcome gift?
Chocolate and madeleine

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes.

What was good?
++++++++++ Guest recognition (every staff very kindly care to me)
++++++++++ View
++++++++++ Onsen bathhouse
++++++++++ Lot of restaurant outlets in resort complex connected with InterContinental and Crowne Plaza.

What was bad?
- - - - - Poor product offering of breakfast and evening cocktails
- - - - - Some part of the facilities are not finished the installation as of today.
- - - - - Mini-bar pricing
- - - - - Access is really inconvenient.
- - - Lack of snack/savory selections for welcome gift

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
As of today, could be better. Less “WOW” compared to Beppu and Ishigaki. However, managements committed they will definitely improve within few months. It will be get better.

Would you return?
Definitely. Coz I won the one night complimentary stay voucher by IHG and ANA Japan promotion. I must be back here to consume it. LOL
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Wonderful review!
I just LOVE your country and its people, for me it's the best country in the world by a long shot.
Raynyan likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 2, 2022 at 4:56 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Great review as usual. 👍👍

I first thought it was the lobby of the hotel, then realized it was indeed the room itself!
Raynyan likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 2, 2022 at 4:56 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I first thought it was the lobby of the hotel, then realized it was indeed the room itself!
LOL exactly the same here, took me a while to notice.
Raynyan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
great review as usual. 👍👍

i first thought it was the lobby of the hotel, then realized it was indeed the room itself!
Originally Posted by venezuela-miami
lol exactly the same here, took me a while to notice.
🤣🤣🤣
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Room Videos

Presidential Suite

Two Bedrooms Appi Suite

Premium Suite

Premium Room

Corner Classic Room Slope View (one room only on the ground floor)

Classic Room Mountain View

Classic Room Slope View
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by Raynyan; Aug 8, 2022 at 4:32 am Reason: Add the video of Appi Suite
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Perhaps I’m too critical, but this is a very lackluster final product; the renderings looked much more understated and elegant, whereas this just looks like a really nice Holiday Inn. Again, the recent Hotel Indigo openings in Japan are infinitely more creative and imaginative in their interiors than this purportedly luxury-level InterContinental.

khabah
Raynyan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:30 am

Thank you very much Raynyan for the videos of the various rooms and suites. While the overall look is decent enough I'd second khabah's view that some elements are a bit underwhelming. Space use, some materials and furnishings seem a bit lackluster IMHO.

To me, the best room would be the Premier one as I find the extra space of the Premier Suite nice, but what was done with it furniture wise not that enticing or exciting. The Presidential Suite Living room is enormous, but bedroom and bathroom entirely disappointing in contrast and barely more than what a Premier room offers (slightly bigger rotenburo). No cosy fireplace (can be gas or even electric or so), no much more generous bathroom etc. For the super premium price they'll charge and the huge space they had I'm really not impressed here especially this being Japan who produce outstanding architecture and interior designs. A wasted opportunity in my book.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go and stay there, but my ideal outcome would be to redeem and pay for an upgrade to a Premier room. Done. YMMV.
Raynyan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:13 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thank you for the videos Raynyan - As real life better than renderings, which however give you a impression of how a hotel look like, I have already split the posts of the time before opening the hotels to its own pre-opening thread. I also copied the Royal Ambassador Report from the dedicated thread to this thread and moved the replies to this post to this thread to have all information and discussion with the reference in this thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Raynyan likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Stayed three nights at IC Appi Kogen. We flew into Aomori and drove down from there, the Google maps estimate is 1h 50m, actual driving is a bit quicker than that.

The lobby is quite nice, a glass of welcome champagne appeared quickly. Interestingly the welcome drink champagne is Ayala, while the cocktail hour champagne is Laurent-Perrier.

We had booked the classic most basic room, but we got a Premier Garden Room. The garden was a nice sunny spot, and I guess you can literally ski in ski out from the room when the snow is around.

The onsen is very nice

The cocktail hours offers some very good quality snacks, and a good champagne choice. It is not going to make a meal, but a great pre-dinner setting.

The daily afternoon tea is good, but a bit odd timing. It is served from 1pm to 3pm

Speaking of odd timings, the rooftop bar is open from 5pm to 8pm, meaning it overlaps with the cocktail hour from 5 to 7, and people tend to prefer the free champagne down stairs, rather than paying for drinks upstairs. But definitely worth a visit upstairs.

Breakfast is pretty solid, a buffet of the basic items and a menu of various hot items. You can order as many items you want from the menu. The one thing about breakfast, the speed of the items from the menu and coffee+tea does take too much time, particularly the hot beverages.

All in all a very nice stay. I'd rank the IC Beppu higher than here, but IC Appi is still a place I'd like to return to. Probably more likely to be in skiing season next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.