Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Super Mario
... I believe the new tiers could still offer a cost savings to the properties while also increasing engagement from the top spenders. They're certainly looking to boost credit card spend.
What's left to cut from the lower tiers that could be reallocated to Diamond?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by js1993
What's left to cut from the lower tiers that could be reallocated to Diamond?
Each stay Diamond members will get one of the factory produced cinnamon rolls served for breakfast at HIX properties and it will be called a Diamond "sweet" upgrade
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Rare
Hmm. I still don’t have my choice benefit for requalifying in 2021.
Same. Last year I don't think the choice benefit (for 2020 qualification) was available for me to select until Feb 2021. Assuming I requalify for Spire again in 2022 (before the March transition to the new program), I imagine I should be able to select 2 choice benefits (one for 2021 and another for 2022), correct?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Miles to Memories (https://milestomemories.com/ihg-rewards-credit-card/) is reporting that under the new IHG program it will be possible to add additional points to the annual 40k free night certs to stay at a more expensive property. Some other IHG credit card related changes discussed there as well.

If accurate, that's definitely positive enhancement in my opinion.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by nacho
Now that IHG, Marriott and Hilton all suck, which programme is left? Hyatt? The problem is their footprint especially in Europe.
Well IHG still has the best program in the entire industry for people who stay at nicer hotels. It's called the Ambassador program and with RA/Inner Circle status there is nothing out there that comes close.

This shake up for the lower level properties doesn't amount to much for me. When I stay at an HI or CP my expectations are already lower if I don't know the hotel. There are some excellent HI's and CP's out there that go above and beyond. I hope they aren't forced to dumb down their elite recognition.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:41 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Credit Card Spending no Longer Counts a Elite Qualifying Points?

I received a mailing from Chase today detailing the changes we've already read about that are taking place in March.

Unfortunately it does contain this downgrade in benefits that was not previously reported:

"You will earn IHG Rewards Diamond Elite status after you spend $40,000 in purchases and make one additional purchase each calendar year with your card, instead of receiving Elite Qualifying Points (EQPs) on purchases made with your card."
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dw
Unfortunately it does contain this downgrade in benefits that was not previously reported:

"You will earn IHG Rewards Diamond Elite status after you spend $40,000 in purchases and make one additional purchase each calendar year with your card, instead of receiving Elite Qualifying Points (EQPs) on purchases made with your card."
That would be a bummer if you can't combine credit card use with BIB nights to reach Diamond. Doing it all via BIB, with 70 nights or 120k points, is a lot. A credit card benefit that stacks with hotel activity is powerful for elites stretching to hit the top tier. I remember when I was on the status treadmill with Marriott years go it was nice that their credit card would grant Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs) toward the program's lofty 75 night requirement for Platinum (the highest published tier at the time). A few years I reached 75+ strictly on BIB nights and didn't need it; but many I logged ~60 nights BIB and really appreciated those CC EQNs pushing me over the top.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: Priority Club
Originally Posted by Rare
Hmm. I still don’t have my choice benefit for requalifying in 2021.

So you should be set for diamond status until 2024 now, right?
I requalified for Spire around October 2021 too and nothing showing other than a spire choice benefit I redeemed earlier in May 2021 which I genuinely don't know whether that was from requalifying in 2020 or the status maintenance due to covid from IHG

IHG haven't made it easy to follow status for members
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My choice benefit from requalifying on Jan 2022 stays was only visible on the website, not the app. It may pay to check both places.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
I received a mailing from Chase today detailing the changes we've already read about that are taking place in March.

Well that doesn't take effect til March, right? I seem to be earning EQP's from my Chase spend. Just spend a lot on the card til March and maybe you get enough to requal or qualify this year.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well that doesn't take effect til March, right? I seem to be earning EQP's from my Chase spend. Just spend a lot on the card til March and maybe you get enough to requal or qualify this year.
Yes, and since it’s a change in benefits I’d think Chase would have to give advance notice (which I guess we’re getting now)
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Why would anybody put a big amount of spend on an IHG card now? You can get much better rewards on most any other card and you would need to spend a lot to get Spire and potentially end up with a negligible amount of benefits over those for Platinum--which requires you to just hold the card and pay the annual fee with no spend at all.

There is a targeted bonus on my card through March but the January statement did not post any of the bonus points as status points--which they did last year with the same bonus. Thus if you buy something from Amazon you still earn 1 point per dollar towards status and then get 4 bonus points. Last year all 5 points counted towards status.

In the new system you either charge $40,000 or get nothing. Fine if you are only after free nights and don't care about status---but frankly further incentive not to bother trying to get status with IHG.

They should really disband Ambassador and Inner Circle and just create a unified program which encourages stays and spend in all brands or just officially make it a rebate program and give no benefits at all on property.
DaveH likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
They should really disband Ambassador and Inner Circle and just create a unified program which encourages stays and spend in all brands or just officially make it a rebate program and give no benefits at all on property.
Good god no! I am so happy that IHG decided to not enhance the AMB/RA program. RA is the best status in the entire loyalty industry. Hands off!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dw
Looks like the increased points qualification requirements makes more sense with the newly announced changes to the US Chase IHG Premier credit card-- base spending now earns 3 points per dollar (and more on bonus categories), so spending $40,000 alone (and less if some charges are in the bonus categories) will get one the new Diamond. (Though I'd personally think anyone would be crazy to put that much spend on that card, particularly in light of the fact that there's been no confirmation yet of new benefits for Diamond.)
That’s a lot better than for those of us in the UK who are ‘lucky’ to still have the Creation premier card which earns 2 points per £ spent domestically, which translates to an equivalent spend of $80,000 to attain Diamond.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Good god no! I am so happy that IHG decided to not enhance the AMB/RA program. RA is the best status in the entire loyalty industry. Hands off!
Once upon a time in the past, it was the best. When RAs got suite, not 2-level upgrades and often good treatment alos at other brands than just ICs.

Now it is not making to the top and is weaker than Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott/Radisson/Accor, where suite upgrades and free breakfast are happening also beyond just one brand within the portfolio.
khabah and champus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.