Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador

IHG Program Update March 2022

IHG Program Update March 2022

Old May 31, 22, 4:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
Yeah, I have stayed in two places since mid-May. One gave breakfast and the other did not. Appeared to me that some hotels are not keen at all on the new policy. Hopefully, IHG pin them down and don't allow them to go rogue as otherwise the benefit will quickly be useless.
My first experience was this week at the Holiday Inn Swindon. Staying on a points night. At check in the agent didn't know what I was talking about and suggested I speak to breakfast in the morning.

I did that in the morning and the duty manager sorted us out. Provided a voucher for the 2 adults and our 10 year old was free anyway. No problems at all. She said their online training has told them it officially starts on 1st of June although oddly told me it only applied to the first night rather than every night. Which is not what it says online. Was only there one night so didn't matter.
Old May 31, 22, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Smythmeister View Post
..She said their online training has told them it officially starts on 1st of June although oddly told me it only applied to the first night rather than every night.
She's clearly well-schooled in IHG logic and the group's approach to building guests' trust and loyalty.
Admiral Ackbar, 336 and yurtripper like this.
Old May 31, 22, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
She's clearly well-schooled in IHG logic and the group's approach to building guests' trust and loyalty.
Breakfast only on the first night? What is this, Accor?
Old May 31, 22, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Well once the new scheme is officially in place from next month if hotels dont provide the benefits then IHG will be receiving lots of complaints in addition to people making them to the hotel.

If a hotel doesnt like the changes then they can always check their contract termination clause and invoke them and go free agent or move to another chain but the grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Old May 31, 22, 1:38 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I can confirm this from another holiday inn in Europe. breakfast only for first night i was told.

Very sad if true...

But it says
Welcome Amenity at Check-InMake your choice at check-in. You can select points, a drink or snack offering, or daily free hot breakfast for two.
On ihg.com
Carel1 likes this.

Last edited by cln; May 31, 22 at 1:51 pm
Old May 31, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Smythmeister View Post
She said their online training has told them it officially starts on 1st of June although oddly told me it only applied to the first night rather than every night. Which is not what it says online. Was only there one night so didn't matter.
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Originally Posted by cln View Post
I can confirm this from another holiday inn in Europe. breakfast only for first night i was told.

Very sad if true...

But it says

Welcome Amenity at Check-InMake your choice at check-in. You can select points, a drink or snack offering, or daily free hot breakfast for two.
On ihg.com
The T&C also makes it clear at https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page

• Diamond Elite Members Welcome Amenity choice also includes Free Breakfast at full-service brands (Six Senses, REGENT, InterContinental, Hualuxe, Hotel Indigo, voco, Crowne Plaza, Even, Holiday Inn, and select Kimpton properties)
    • Available for Member and one guest registered to the same room for each night of stay
    • Includes one main menu item with unlimited non-alcoholic beverages or full buffet with unlimited non-alcoholic beverages per person
    • Alcoholic beverages and certain specialty drinks excluded
    • Not available for In-Room dining or at specialty restaurants
On a related note, immediately after, it says,

• Members using Digital Check-in may only receive Points as a Welcome Amenity
I have never used it myself, but now I have to really remind myself to never use it (unless staying at an HIX or Avid, I guess).
Old May 31, 22, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Reading between the lines, it looks like the hotels/owners are not happy about the new requirement. For instance, at the place I stayed, they really didn't seem too keen on the new breakfast option, even if they said it was coming in June. This may also explain (breakfast policy) why this is taking so long to implement i.e. a month+ since the announcement.

Be interesting how this plays out as IHG always appeared to me to be the chain with the least amount of power over their owners. Hopefully they put their foot down, tell them to get on with it or that they should look to terminate their contract(s).

That said, if the new top benefits get watered down, like as follows:

CSU - Say this is only applicable on fully flex rates and bookable 1-3 days out.

Breakfast- One per stay

Lounge - Not applicable at IC and Regent

Then I will have to re-evaluate Marriott and Hilton as I have taken a leap of faith with IHG since the announcement of the new benefits and have only switched all my stays to them based on the above being as described.
cln and remymartin like this.
Old May 31, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: Same as location
There are many benefits that are "at the hotel discretion/availability" (early check in, late check out, upgrades etc) but regarding breakfast and lounge access the terms are crystal clear. I (want to) believe that hotels will quickly get in line or face a barrage of complaints and chargebacks.
Old Jun 1, 22, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
June 1! The suite upgrade certs and whatnot for 10, 20, 30 nights should be coming any day I hope.
336 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Breakfast is now included for Spire since it is June 1st?
Also, do you get breakfast at Indigo brand?
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by mmogdan View Post
Nothing at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport. They don't offer breakfast I was told, for members. No of drink/snack. Points (500) just posted automatically.
No upgrade although better rooms and suites available.
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by mmogdan View Post
We were lead to believe so, so yes. However.....

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Nothing at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport. They don't offer breakfast I was told, for members. No of drink/snack. Points (500) just posted automatically.
No upgrade although better rooms and suites available.
This is my fear with IHG. Hotel owners going rogue and not falling into line. I mean, by now the hotel owners must know that this is what is meant to happen. Denying it/pleading ignorance six weeks+ since the announcement and probably four months+ since central told them this is the new policy tells me that we may be seeing another Spire situation whereby central promised more than they could deliver owing to not having enough power/backbone to implement their directives.

As I've said above, I've taken a leap of faith with IHG this 1/3rd of the year but this is dependent on them delivering on what they've promised. They have me to mid-August to get this sorted as I can afford to give them a 1/3rd of the year and still qualify for top status elsewhere if required. However, if I do not see the roll out of the promised benefits by then, I will allow my cynical side to take over and chalk this down to another Spire situation where they cannot get the troops to fall into line.
oxfordjames likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 8:47 pm

Programs: Same as location
The original announcement said that the changes would occur in "Early June" rather than "June 1st". Some people have heard June 6 or June 8 as starting dates.

That said, it is not a good sign that we're already in June and there is no official communication regarding the starting date for the revamped program.
Old Jun 2, 22, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
June 1! The suite upgrade certs and whatnot for 10, 20, 30 nights should be coming any day I hope.
You'll get them when they announce the Spire benefits.
dw likes this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, LC Sterling, HH Gld, ALL Gld, WoH Disc, Bonvoy, LH M&M FT
The new rules entered into force June 1st.

i just checked out today at Crowne Plaza Congress Hotel Frankfurt/Main Germany and got my breakfast complimentary without payment (Diamond Elite). Today June 2nd was the first date to get breakfast for free (as it is the stay from 1st to 2nd June).

It was not known to all team members at front desk so I had to explain during check-in, breakfast and check-out. After my check-out I saw they got a training by a supervisor regarding this matter and how to handle it internally.

By the way it was a paid stay, I did not ask how they handle reward stays, but will do next time.
oxfordjames, tom tulpe and gunlie like this.

Search this Thread