Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador

IHG Program Update March 2022

IHG Program Update March 2022

Old Apr 13, 22, 11:56 pm

While they're at it, maybe they can fix the website where you have to keep clearing cookies in order to log in and stay logged in.
Old Apr 13, 22, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It says Diamond will get free breakfast or points or drink/snack

implying it is up to the hotel to choose

meaning its de facto 1000 points or something similar and meaningless

Edit: The iOS app now says I am Diamond Elite ambassador. It said Spire yesterday
Old Apr 13, 22, 11:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
It says Diamond will get free breakfast or points or drink/snack

implying it is up to the hotel to choose

meaning its de facto 1000 points or something similar and meaningless
No, it's your choice.
Old Apr 14, 22, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
No, it's your choice.
for the milestone awards yes

what about in the Diamond row above with the traffic lights?
Old Apr 14, 22, 12:14 am

Are welcome points still going to be 500?
Old Apr 14, 22, 12:30 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
for the milestone awards yes

what about in the Diamond row above with the traffic lights?
You get to choose which of those three you want.
Old Apr 14, 22, 3:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
100%. Guaranteed 4pm checkout is worth far more than any free breakfast or lounge access to me and is why Marriott gets almost all of my stays. These changes overall are very positive but Im still no more likely to stay at non-IC hotels where I still probably have to fight just to get a 2pm check out unless I know Ill be leaving early.
That guarantted 4PM checkout IE unofficial 7PM that the front desk gladly lets me have since my flight leaves around midnight is why I give 99% of my business to Marriott properties. The breakfast and lounge access all included as well definitely makes it a winner as a Titanium.
Old Apr 14, 22, 4:47 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Im Diamond now under the new program

and I find this new IHG program (free breakfast/ milestones bonuses) really good, well done IHG !

IHG always been my 2nd choice after Marriott, but with these new features I will use for sure more than before, especially after the huge devaluation of points made by Bonvoy.
mster and js1993 like this.
Old Apr 14, 22, 6:31 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It seems that 40 nights diamond is comparable to 60 nights Hyatt globalist.
Old Apr 14, 22, 8:30 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
Did I understand properly that free breakfast for Diamonds will be offered from June onwards not for the stays in the meantime?
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
I received a similar credit card statement and sent a question to IHG and realized that I should have read the updated T&Cs!

I would like to give you an update regarding the qualifying points that you were inquiring about related to your IHG Premier credit card. Again, I'm sorry if some of the points that you received on 06 April 2022 were not qualifying. I'd like to share that effective March 24, 2022, points earned on purchases made with IHG Premier and Traveler cards are Non-Qualifying points and are not Elite Status qualifying. The 2,672 points that are showing as qualifying are purchases made prior to March 24.

We will be optimizing our card benefits, including enhanced automatic loyalty status based on the card product. There will also be opportunities to achieve status based on reaching spend bonuses. For complete program details and additional ways to qualify for IHG Rewards status level tiers, visit ihg.com/chase

Alas I did not qualify to Spire at the 55,000 threshold.
I have over 60K QP's, and I am pretty sure I was in the 50's before my credit card statement closed this week. So I must have gotten some QP's out of it. But I have no idea how to see that. I know I had an expensive IC stay before March 24th so maybe that was it. Other than IHG stays and places that don't take Amex, I don't use this credit card often.

Sorry if I'm missing something basic, but do I need to spend another $60K at IHG hotels to make Diamond for next year? Assuming I don't reach 70 nights? Or do we get 2 points per $ in QP's?
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Given the influx of people who have/will become entitled to lounge access as a result of this change, I think the quality of lounges at key ICs are at a significant risk of a fairly steep nose dive. Thinking of it, smaller lounges may not even be physically big enough to accommodate everyone who is now eligible for access.

If this happens, then it will be a double whammy for the hotels as people who previously used to pay for lounge access may stop doing so on account of lower quality offerings and/or crowdedness, so that it becomes essentially just a status lounge, prompting a further decline in the quality of offerings.
So the first question is how many people have many stays at Holiday Inns and will then use lounge access for ICs?
So if the people who used to pay for lounge access stop paying cause it is crowded, wouldn't that reduce the crowdedness? I don't see how it reduces the quality, as revenue and quality don't correlate.
Old Apr 14, 22, 10:00 am

So is anybody going to do a mattress run just to get 40 nights? Book some cheap Holiday Inn or something?
Old Apr 14, 22, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
So the first question is how many people have many stays at Holiday Inns and will then use lounge access for ICs?
So if the people who used to pay for lounge access stop paying cause it is crowded, wouldn't that reduce the crowdedness? I don't see how it reduces the quality, as revenue and quality don't correlate.
Like I said above, it probably won't be too many people who regularly pay $100 or less for HI's all of a sudden spending $400+ for IC's. Or 85,000-100,000 points per night like some of the better IC's charge these days. Maybe they might stay at an IC for a special weekend or two, but not too many nights.
Old Apr 14, 22, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I have over 60K QP's, and I am pretty sure I was in the 50's before my credit card statement closed this week. So I must have gotten some QP's out of it. But I have no idea how to see that. I know I had an expensive IC stay before March 24th so maybe that was it. Other than IHG stays and places that don't take Amex, I don't use this credit card often.

Sorry if I'm missing something basic, but do I need to spend another $60K at IHG hotels to make Diamond for next year? Assuming I don't reach 70 nights? Or do we get 2 points per $ in QP's?
So for QP, presuming you don't use the credit card to get status, you can also earn them by IHG Business and also booking rates that give you points. Would that not be an easier path? You can buy elite points (though you have to stay).

Search this Thread