Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stargold
Given the influx of people who have/will become entitled to lounge access as a result of this change, I think the quality of lounges at key ICs are at a significant risk of a fairly steep nose dive. Thinking of it, smaller lounges may not even be physically big enough to accommodate everyone who is now eligible for access.

If this happens, then it will be a double whammy for the hotels as people who previously used to pay for lounge access may stop doing so on account of lower quality offerings and/or crowdedness, so that it becomes essentially just a status lounge, prompting a further decline in the quality of offerings.
Yes, this. I am on record here against any change to the RA program. This new update will be good only if it does not include IC's. That said, I have seen some IC's that have really jumped up in price this year. Both in $'s and points. And of course Regents are already rather expensive. So maybe those lounges will not be overwhelmed with Diamond freeloaders, um I mean members.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:52 am

Is this new? You can earn points up to 9 rooms.

Except at InterContinental® Alliance Resorts and hotels in MLAC*, Members may earn Points on all Eligible Charges for multiple hotel rooms (up to 9) provided those rooms are used in conjunction with the Member's stay at the same hotel, and the Member’s IHG Rewards Club account number is recorded on each reservation, or the charges from those multiple room reservations are referred to on the hotel room bill associated with the Member's reservation.

*MLAC includes: Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Brazil, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fims
I think new system benefits also RAs. They can also get now lounge access and breakfast in non-IC hotels.
We always had lounge access at non-IC hotels, such as CP's. At least most years that was the case.

Breakfast at HI's are generally not interesting, but maybe at some of the other new brands this could be useful.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
I just got an email that said I am now diamond. I was spire, but for this year, I was only at 15 nights and 40k in points.

I'm not sure what I will get out of this new program. I have never stayed at an IC, Kimpton, or any of the IHG luxury/premium hotels.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:52 am

Will milestone rewards for 2022 be available retroactively for those who have already completed a significant number of IHG stays this year?

Similarly if I hit 70 nights before IHG rolls out milestone awards in June 2022 (or likely later with delays) will I be effectively ineligible for the annual lounge membership since I will have crossed the last (70 night) milestone this benefit selection is linked to?

I’m currently at 55+ having renewed Spire at the reduced requirements available earlier this year. I am also likely to cross 70 nights before June 2022 unless I have a reason to intentionally hold off.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Dropping the 4PM check out is the biggest negative for me. That was the one benefit that actually had some value. No way I would spend $12,000/year at IHG hotels and then have to negotiate a late check out up to 2PM every time. The milestone benefits are pretty good but there are just not enough properties--especially in the US that have lounges. Hopefully the breakfast amenity in lieu of points will be a step up from the nearly inedible low quality offerings at the HIX properties Also there are an unspecified number of Kimptons that won't provide breakfast. What about waived amenity fees? Those are a huge negative for me and I try to avoid any property that charges them.

Overall, I don't see any reason to pursue Diamond--but will have the rest of the year to test it out as I use up my remaining points.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Will breakfast be for both people in a room or just the member?

Was thinking of using points to buy ambassador status later this year.

I am unlikely to be Diamond next year as I can't see me staying enough nights.

So not sure if it will be worth it for next year?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:17 am

If you hit 40 nights (or 70 nights) in mid October – December 2022 can you select the annual lounge access milestone benefit on January 1, 2023 (<90 days later) and be eligible for lounge access for the full 2023 and 2024 calendar years?

From the new terms:
"Once Annual Lounge Membership is chosen it will be valid to the end of the year plus an additional 12 months (E.g., Annual Lounge Membership Milestone choice selected June 2022 will be valid until December 31, 2023)"
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Will breakfast be for both people in a room or just the member?
Both.

From https://www.ihg.com/onerewards/conte.../tier-benefits:
Welcome Amenity at Check-In

Make your choice at check-in. You can select points, a drink or snack offering, or daily free hot breakfast for two.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Dropping the 4PM check out is the biggest negative for me.
100%. Guaranteed 4pm checkout is worth far more than any free breakfast or lounge access to me and is why Marriott gets almost all of my stays. These changes overall are very positive but I’m still no more likely to stay at non-IC hotels where I still probably have to fight just to get a 2pm check out unless I know I’ll be leaving early.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Dropping the 4PM check out is the biggest negative for me. That was the one benefit that actually had some value. No way I would spend $12,000/year at IHG hotels and then have to negotiate a late check out up to 2PM every time. The milestone benefits are pretty good but there are just not enough properties--especially in the US that have lounges. Hopefully the breakfast amenity in lieu of points will be a step up from the nearly inedible low quality offerings at the HIX properties Also there are an unspecified number of Kimptons that won't provide breakfast. What about waived amenity fees? Those are a huge negative for me and I try to avoid any property that charges them.

Overall, I don't see any reason to pursue Diamond--but will have the rest of the year to test it out as I use up my remaining points.
It is what it is, you have been negative in previous comments about proposed changes, so its good that your sticking to your guns..
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:14 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Will the reduced qualification thresholds still aply for Spire/Diamond from Plat? I am currently at 37.1K status points and the app says I need another 17.9K for Spire (so 55K total). I am guessing the new diamond threshold will apply from now on and I will need 120K?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by mster
If you hit 40 nights (or 70 nights) in mid October – December 2022 can you select the annual lounge access milestone benefit on January 1, 2023 (<90 days later) and be eligible for lounge access for the full 2023 and 2024 calendar years?

From the new terms:
That looks like a potential loophole that will be closed quickly, if it's a loophole at all. One would assume the triggering stay date will be the benefit's effective date, not the selection date. No way IHG wants to give away two years of lounge access, and no way IHG wants people delaying stays until Q4 to pass certain milestones.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Will the reduced qualification thresholds still aply for Spire/Diamond from Plat? I am currently at 37.1K status points and the app says I need another 17.9K for Spire (so 55K total). I am guessing the new diamond threshold will apply from now on and I will need 120K?
Yes.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got my April Chase IHG bill and now see this....

+ 10X pts earned on your stays at IHG® xxxxx
+ 5X pts on other travel xxxx
+ 2X pts on gas stns, grocery stores, rstrnts xxx
+ 5X pts on gas stations, dining xxx
+ 1 Point per $1 earned on purchases xxx
+ 3X pts on all other purchases xxxx
+ Bonus on purchases at grocery stores xxx
+ Bonus on purchases at restaurants xxx
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
This program is way smarter from a business perspective than I originally imagined it to be. Some people will look at Diamond and strive to reach it because free breakfast is life. However, this one feels like a dangling carrot. At 70 nights, and no more elite qualifying CC spend, that's a lot of nights.

Personally, I don't share the discontent around the lack of 4pm checkout. Sure I would prefer that. However, the amount of times I actually need a 4pm vs 2pm is small potatoes in the grand scheme. What does concern me here is how many tiers get that "perk". If everyone is "eligible," we already know how that experience is going to look. No one below Gold (if that high) should get it.

If IHG had the Marriott (premium) footprint, I think IHG has something quite compelling here. They need to continue to improve that. Start by reinventing Crowne Plaza into something other than a 1990s mid-upscale hotel. Lounge access will be another thing people will gladly chase. If it's not available in enough hotels, they will only chase it for so long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.