Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Makes No Sense

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:00 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Crowne Plaza Makes No Sense

I keep hearing that not everyone thinks that Crowne Plaza is a worthy brand in the IHG line-up. Could it be that the brand makes zero sense?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:33 am

It makes perfect sense from a development standpoint. It's IHG's only non-lifestyle upscale brand. It fits between Holiday Inn (upper midscale) and Kimpton (upper upscale) in the development ladder.

All IHG Brand Explained (by IHG): https://ihg.showpad.com/share/LkkYNuk61VHgkb6EAYKhF

Whether the existing Crowne Plaza hotels are living up to the ideals of an upscale property is a completely different conversation.

Or, perhaps the people with issues are simply misidentifying it as an upper upscale brand. It's not. Here are examples of upscale brands that are also classified at upscale: Hilton Garden Inn, DoubleTree, Courtyard by Marriott, Hyatt Place, and Wyndham.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Like Sheraton at Marriott (and especially in North America), Crowne Plaza was a chain that struggled to be consistent

Today, new or renovated properties (such as the Crowne Plaza Paris République, Budapest, New York
HY36, to name a few) are very good hotels.

My recent stay at Crowne Plaza Paris République:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33651965-post32.html
Genius1 likes this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Dec 5, 2021 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
I like the brand quite a lot here in the UK, and I find it usually lives up to my expectations perfectly. I think it entirely depends upon the consumer expectations, as to whether it's viewed as a worhwhile brand. I consider it quite solid really. I know there a few questionable properties, but I think that follows for every brand in every chain.
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:57 am

Kind of like Courtyard for Marriott, I find Crowne Plaza to be pretty hit or miss in the US but much better abroad. In the US they can be decent and stylish midscale city hotels like the HY36 Midtown Manhattan, or they can be dreary suburban airport hotels like the SFO/Burlingame Crowne Plaza which is honestly worse than any new build HIX. I feel like there are some older legacy hotels in the brand (from before the current iteration of the brand's positioning) that are dragging it down.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It makes perfect sense from a development standpoint. It's IHG's only non-lifestyle upscale brand
Sorry, but in non-marketing-speak, what does that actually mean?

I've stayed at CPs, they are [just like everything else in the IHG portfolio] completely hit and miss, and I'm talking about all the way from HIX to IC.

The CP I stay at most often is treating me better but only because I stay there so often the staff greet me by name(!) when I walk in the door. Then again, I suspect that works at any hotel you stay at sufficiently frequently, it's not due to the rewards program...
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
My experience with CP is limited to USA. In general, I have found them to be almost all very old properties with outdated designs. Some are maintained well within those limitations and others are just bad. It is one of the brands I avoid unless I know a specific property is a good one. For my travel patterns and preferences HIX and Kimpton are the IHG brands that work the best and I stay at the most often. In addition to CP, HI is also very hit or miss in the USA and other than specific known good locations, I also avoid them. Staybridge is also mixed quality but I am willing to try them most of the time. IC doesn't match my preferences. Kimpton is a better fit for upscale for me. Haven't tried Even yet but willing to do so. Indigo I have also mixed experiences with and generally don't find them compelling. Would tend to go to Kimpton over Indigo.

Broadening outside of IHG portfolio, I tend to do midscale and upper scale limited service stays with Marriott. Same on full service I tend to do Marriott, Westin, and Renaissance. When Kimpton has a property at the location within travel budget guidelines, I do like to stay at them. HIX and Marriott Fairfield are my preferred standard limited service stays for road trips and more suburban areas. Marriott Residence Inn and Marriott Townplace Suites tend to be newer and fresher than Staybridge Suites and I give most of my extended stays to Marriott. Candlewood I have too many bad experiences with combined with lack of basic breakfast is enough that I won't stay at them. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It makes perfect sense from a development standpoint. It's IHG's only non-lifestyle upscale brand. It fits between Holiday Inn (upper midscale) and Kimpton (upper upscale) in the development ladder.

All IHG Brand Explained (by IHG): https://ihg.showpad.com/share/LkkYNuk61VHgkb6EAYKhF

Whether the existing Crowne Plaza hotels are living up to the ideals of an upscale property is a completely different conversation.

Or, perhaps the people with issues are simply misidentifying it as an upper upscale brand. It's not. Here are examples of upscale brands that are also classified at upscale: Hilton Garden Inn, DoubleTree, Courtyard by Marriott, Hyatt Place, and Wyndham.
I'll accept your premise in your opening sentence if you accept my statement that the if CP is upscale, then the scale is broken.
ajamieson, rbAA and Porch like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'll accept your premise in your opening sentence if you accept my statement that the if CP is upscale, then the scale is broken.
The scale is fine if it's just for it's intended use: to differentiate brands for developers.

Personally, I've never seen a hotel group that actually uses the terms to market to consumers because they are rather ludicrous. Terms like "upper midscale" and "upper upscale" are dumb but they work within the context of the hotel development world.

You will occasionally see the adjective "upscale" used in consumer marketing. But, that's just an advertising buzzword and not a direct connection to the development term.

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Sorry, but in non-marketing-speak, what does that actually mean?
Honestly, it doesn't mean much outside of marketing.

The development scale (midscale --> upper midscale --> upscale --> upper upscale, etc) helps potential hotel developers know where a property fits within a hotel group. Generally speaking, the higher up on the scale, the more money it costs to open the hotel because there are more required amenities (gym, restaurants) and the qualities of materials (hard/soft goods) will be expected to be better.

Then, aside from the scale you have the "lifestyle" nonsense. To me, that's just a way for some hotels to differentiate themselves from your basic business/airport hotel with generic rooms. Specializing in wellness or curated local experiences is silly (to me) but lots of folks seem to care. It's all just marketing, though.

Then, there are service levels like limited, select, and full service. Service levels tend to match the development scale, but not always. Consumers are far more likely to see service levels used in hotel descriptions because they make more logical sense. Most people can understand that a "select service" hotel only have some but not all the amenities of a full service hotel. (Example: A select service hotel might have a restaurant but no valet parking.)

Finally, hotels can be designated as historic. That term carries a certain cache to some folks and therefore sometimes warrants higher rates.

All in all, it's amorphous and confusing. A single hotel can have multiple descriptors: An historic, select service, upper-upscale, lifestyle hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:40 pm

why on Earth would a hotel developer/owner want to associate w IHG as a Crowne Plaza? a toss - up w being a Radisson?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
If Crowne Plaza doesn't make sense as a brand, there are about 10 Accor and 10 Marriott brands which also make no sense.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts is our leading full-service Premium collection brand, the first to create the business- class hotel in 1983.

Today, Crowne Plaza is one of the largest upscale hotel companies in the world with hotels in diverse locations, and an impressive full-service model with massive international revenue flows.

TARGET GUEST
We serve Modern Business Travellers who have a contemporary ‘lifeaholic’ mindset and travels for both work and leisure.
They are frequent travellers with a millennial mindset, 60% males, 40% female and make up 24% of the global travel population.

COMPETITIVE SET
Pullman, Grand Mercure, JW Marriott

STRONG PERFORMANCE
#3 Most-loved Premium collection brand globally in GSI ranking Medallia social media scores

32% Of Crowne Plaza global revenue comes from international flows

34% Of Crowne Plaza room bookings come from IHG rewards club

Source: IHG
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts is our leading full-service Premium collection brand, the first to create the business- class hotel in 1983.

Today, Crowne Plaza is one of the largest upscale hotel companies in the world with hotels in diverse locations, and an impressive full-service model with massive international revenue flows.

TARGET GUEST
We serve Modern Business Travellers who have a contemporary ‘lifeaholic’ mindset and travels for both work and leisure.
They are frequent travellers with a millennial mindset, 60% males, 40% female and make up 24% of the global travel population.

COMPETITIVE SET

STRONG PERFORMANCE
#3 Most-loved Premium collection brand globally in GSI ranking Medallia social media scores

Unfortunately, they're still using the same business class seating and bedding that they used in 1983. I guess I'm too old to appreciate this millennial mindset. Seems strange that I like to stay at a W Hotel
Wolfram Heerlen and PES_B1 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by nicolas75

TARGET GUEST

COMPETITIVE SET

STRONG PERFORMANCE

This seems ludicrious. In no way, shape, or form does Crowne Plaza compare to JW Marriott.

What is "a contemporary ‘lifeaholic’ mindset" trying to convey? Joie de vivre? People who love life?

Crowne Plaza seems to be to be for people who need a borderline-full-service hotel and choose on price or loyalty program. Most in the U.S. are dumpy in my experience, some are fine. I agree there are some good ones outside, e.g., Paris Republique, Dubai Festival City, maybe in Asia. I really liked the Crowne Plaza Hamilton in Washington, DC, but it reflagged. I didn't know there was one in Ventiane, which looks pretty nice.

I can't believe that it's the "#3 Most-loved Premium collection brand globally." Crowne Plaza has no brand concept. I can see where it fits in for developers, but I can't imagine any consumer would say, wow, I am going to seek out Crowne Plaza. Other brands, even Marriott and HI Express, have some brand value in and of themselves.
CorSter and Temedar like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I would never seek out a Crowne Plaza, apart from the handful of nice ones I've stumbled across. I've stumbled into too many disappointing ones to do the seeking out thing. Reflect on the state of San Francisco's airport Crowne Plaza and compare it to the one at Singapore airport.

Shouldn't brand consistency be something to aim for, rather than silliness about "lifeaholic mindsets" ?

Off the top of my head there are nice ones in Bandung, Chennai, Singapore airport, and a very nice one indeed in Doha (but also a not-so-nice one in the same city). Muscat has an OK sea-side CP, and the one in Jeddah next to the IC is just about OK.

Anyone who believes Crowne Plazas come third in an any "most loved" ranking has been smoking. Heavily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.