Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Barcelona Pre-Opening Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Barcelona Pre-Opening Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...=#post22202874

Do we need a new "master thread" for a hotel that already has a long thread?
Old May 15, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...=#post22202874

Do we need a new "master thread" for a hotel that already has a long thread?
Depends how relevant folks find the "old" CP experiences shared. Maybe a new thread makes sense to not confuse people as it will be an IC going forward and is having a refurb of sorts.

I'd agree that room related info could still be relevant (location, size, layout etc.) though. Maybe we link to the old CP thread here and close that one or so? YMMV.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demue
Depends how relevant folks find the "old" CP experiences shared. Maybe a new thread makes sense to not confuse people as it will be an IC going forward and is having a refurb of sorts.

I'd agree that room related info could still be relevant (location, size, layout etc.) though. Maybe we link to the old CP thread here and close that one or so? YMMV.
Being able to continue on from "CP experiences" is actually quite helpful to see if it's just a change of brand. After all, it probably will be same staff, management, etc. along with a refreshed (but ultimately the same) hard product.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Barcelona is now accepting reservation from 23rd September onwards.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: QF PLAT (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*G), IHG Dia Royal Amb, GHA Titanium, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Is the hotel full operational (clublounge, pool, ....) from Sept 23?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcel.baden
Is the hotel full operational (clublounge, pool, ....) from Sept 23?
Club lounge and outdoor pool were already operating under the Crowne Plaza brand.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
I am holding an award stay rez here in early October. Although the website states 'reservations open from late September', the hotel is no longer selling rooms until mid-October from what I can tell.
Anything I should do at this point? Should I expect IHG to relocate me to a comparable property in advance if the hotel is not going to be open..or what?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodford02A
I am holding an award stay rez here in early October. Although the website states 'reservations open from late September', the hotel is no longer selling rooms until mid-October from what I can tell.
Anything I should do at this point? Should I expect IHG to relocate me to a comparable property in advance if the hotel is not going to be open..or what?
I had the same issue with Kimpton Paris, which was late for opening.
My rewards stay was canceled without notification or compensation. 😬
I must say I did not complaint as I live in Paris and did not need obviously a bed for the night reserved.
As you are not in the same position, you may definitely write an email to the hotel or IHG.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:07 pm

Abysmal customer service on email. Have contacted them seven times with zero back.

I even asked another hotel GM to approach them. He got nothing as well. Apparently the Kimpton round the corner are a way better proposition .... at this moment in time.

Shame, will put it down to start up troubles but far from impressive.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I am staying at the Kimpton at the moment but did go and look at the IC yesterday (not exactly around the corner). It is still a bit of a building site so I’m not surprised you are struggling to get a response. The windows are all obscured and the entrance is still being redeveloped. There is an IC logo outside the building though.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidw70
I am staying at the Kimpton at the moment but did go and look at the IC yesterday (not exactly around the corner). It is still a bit of a building site so I’m not surprised you are struggling to get a response. The windows are all obscured and the entrance is still being redeveloped. There is an IC logo outside the building though.
…and this how the hotel lobby was looking on 4th July.

Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by davidw70
Agreed, described as a short walk would have been more accurate.

Yes they have been advertising availability since mid July and indeed accepted reservations for end of September. But poor form be totally invisible. I've had better responses from IC's that have been a hole in the ground let alone some soft refurb.

Let's hope they get in gear soon as it's a potentially OK proposition there. Used to be a regular at Princess Sofia before IHG pulled out there many years back. Is a missing card in the pack that will be very welcome.

Last edited by Atacama40; Sep 7, 2021 at 3:39 am
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Used to be a regular at Princess Sofia before IHG pulled out there many years back. Is a missing card in the pack that will be very welcome.
Former Princess Sofia was not great for location (as well as Fairmont Barcelona Rey Juan Carlos I), unless for business.
But the now Hotel SOFIA Barcelona - in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt undergone a complete superb renovation.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Former Princess Sofia was not great for location (as well as Fairmont Barcelona Rey Juan Carlos I), unless for business.
But the now Hotel SOFIA Barcelona - in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt undergone a complete superb renovation.
Is true. It had a super lounge and breakfast but was less than optimum for tourists. Mine was work. I stayed maybe twice a month for many years.

I would be interested to road test the Sofia again and may well pair a stay with the new IC (old CP) and indeed the Kimpton which is well regarded by management within IHG. Have no first hand experience but will will shortly for the hell of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.