Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Will IHG extend expiration on certificates, which are set to expire on 12/31/21?

Will IHG extend expiration on certificates, which are set to expire on 12/31/21?

Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Looks like I will be eating 2 certs. I did get 25,000 points for contacting IHG thru their website.
Curious did you chat, call or email. them. I just got off phone with rep who stated that all certificates will be extended until 2022. He said I should receive email shortly. I am pretty sure this rep doesn't know what he is talking about. I asked if it was documented in system and he said yes but still don't think it will happen.

I would be more than happy to get 25K for my expiring certs instead
Tanic and DiverDave like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Curious did you chat, call or email. them. I just got off phone with rep who stated that all certificates will be extended until 2022. He said I should receive email shortly. I am pretty sure this rep doesn't know what he is talking about. I asked if it was documented in system and he said yes but still don't think it will happen.

I would be more than happy to get 25K for my expiring certs instead
They never responded thru chat so I sent a message thru the website and they responded this via email:From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2021 3:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Update on your Chase Free night INquiry - Ref# XXX

Hello XXX,

Lizette here and how are you? I hope you and your family remain safe and healthy.

Foremost, I'm sorry for a very late response on your email inquiry. Our email team is experiencing a high email volume and we are trying to answer them as quickly as we can.

Thank you for being a valued member. We also appreciate you for using IHG credit card for your travels!

You had a question regarding your Chase Free Night.

I understand that you're concerned about not being able to use your Anniversary Free Night. HOwever, all Free Night certificates that were supposed to expire in 2020 have been extended until August 31st of this year. And while travel continued to be more uncertain, we have extended the expiration ate again unitl Decelber 31st.

Since we value your loyalty, I'm happy to offer you 25,000 points as a courtesy.

I hope this helped to answer your concern but if you have additional questions, please let us know -- we’d be happy to follow up.

Sincerely,

Lizette
1-800-421-5162
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the 25,000 points is better than nothing and might even work to some people's advantage, I think IHG's "we extended it already so too bad you couldn't use it" approach was less than ideal - especially its competitors all made more customer-friendly decisions. It is even more crazy that some reps still think it will be extended.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
They never responded thru chat so I sent a message thru the website and they responded this via email:From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2021 3:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Update on your Chase Free night INquiry - Ref# XXX

Hello XXX,

Lizette here and how are you?
1-800-421-5162
How long did it take for a response?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by username
While the 25,000 points is better than nothing and might even work to some people's advantage, I think IHG's "we extended it already so too bad you couldn't use it" approach was less than ideal - especially its competitors all made more customer-friendly decisions. It is even more crazy that some reps still think it will be extended.
I agree and I replied asking if they could just extend them by 1 month because I wanted to use them in Japan this December but I'm stuck in quarantine at the moment so it's not possible to use them until January but just got the standard reply that they had already been extended and they won't be extended again.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
How long did it take for a response?
This response took about 5 days but after responding to their emails, I get a response within hours but with no better results.

It's like I'm talking to a robot!
Old Dec 24, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
This response took about 5 days but after responding to their emails, I get a response within hours but with no better results.

It's like I'm talking to a robot!
Hm was there an automated response to initial contact? Still waiting on a reply from last week. Would be happy to take 25k.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Hm was there an automated response to initial contact? Still waiting on a reply from last week. Would be happy to take 25k.
I never got a response to my email from a few weeks ago.

One of my expiring certificates is uncapped, so 25k would be pretty insulting.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
They responded to my request within 48 hours but I had to give them all of my membership number, name address, etc and have not heard back since then
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:23 am

Chatted in today, confirmed Dec 31st expiry and no free points in exchange even after asking for them explicitly.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by klanfa
Chatted in today, confirmed Dec 31st expiry and no free points in exchange even after asking for them explicitly.
Do you have any level of IHG status?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Do you have any level of IHG status?
Spire, but kept through extensions past 2 years.
js1993 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
I dont think that is correct.
If you click on VIEW DETAILS below certificate info, it says: Happy Anniversary! As a valued IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card cardmember, you have earned an Anniversary Night. The Anniversary Night must be redeemed, and stay must be completed within the booking window dates shown. The Anniversary Night is valid for one standard room night rate and applicable taxes only.
looks like im not the only one in this situation. ive been searching for answers as well. i have certs expiring 12/31/21 and i want to book past expiration. altho 25k pts is good enough for me. but i have 0 confidence they will respond to my inquiry in time. we are all running out of time. what is the best strategy here?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:03 pm

Requested the 25,000 points via email and this was the response I got. Didn't even acknowledge the points request.

"Foremost, so sorry about the delay in reply. We're receiving high email volume lately, but we're looking to catch up so we can reply to your emails right away.

Tinnie here and I read your email regarding your Anniversary Free Night inquiry.

I understand that you are concerned about not being able to use your Anniversary Free Night. However, I'd like to share that all the Anniversary Free Night that expires in 2020 has been extended until 31 Aug 2021 and while travel continued to be uncertain we have again extended the expiration date until 31 Dec 2021. The good news is that you still have few more days left to use the Anniversary Free Night before it expires.

When you are ready to book your free night, simply contact the IHG Rewards Service Center at 1-888-211-9874. Please provide your account number when making this reservation

Once again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this had caused you. I really wish I have better news to say. I hope you understand that like you, our actions is restricted to what the terms of the program states."
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marksjd
Requested the 25,000 points via email and this was the response I got. Didn't even acknowledge the points request.

"Foremost, so sorry about the delay in reply. We're receiving high email volume lately, but we're looking to catch up so we can reply to your emails right away.

Tinnie here and I read your email regarding your Anniversary Free Night inquiry.

I understand that you are concerned about not being able to use your Anniversary Free Night. However, I'd like to share that all the Anniversary Free Night that expires in 2020 has been extended until 31 Aug 2021 and while travel continued to be uncertain we have again extended the expiration date until 31 Dec 2021. The good news is that you still have few more days left to use the Anniversary Free Night before it expires.

When you are ready to book your free night, simply contact the IHG Rewards Service Center at 1-888-211-9874. Please provide your account number when making this reservation

Once again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this had caused you. I really wish I have better news to say. I hope you understand that like you, our actions is restricted to what the terms of the program states."
No kidding. It is crazy we are getting different answers from different people - some still say the certificates will be extended, some offer the points, some won't give the points and some still encourage you to use the certificates with 6 days left and plenty of Omicron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.